0W-30 for 1.8Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro with a 1.8T under the hood. The owners manual states the factory fill was 0W-30, but 5W-30 and 5W-40 are acceptable if API Service SJ and ACEA A2 or A3 are met.

I've been running M1 0W-40 since I've owned the car, but since doing some reading here on the site, I've come to the conclusion that I may be better served with Castrol Edge 0W-30. My reasons are two-fold: I would like to gain another 1-2 MPGs by going with the lighter grade oil and the 30 grade oil would actually provide an increased oil flow to the turbo, which in-turn would keep the turbo cooler.

From what I've read on Audizine, most are running M1 0W-40 in the car I have; am I correct on my reasoning above and would the 30 grade oil harm the turbo?

Thanks,
Zero

GC would work great in that engine.

Not sure it will give you the MPG gain you are looking for; M1 0W-40 often shears in service to about the thickness of GC, so both will perform the same.

Originally Posted By: Zero
I've been running M1 0W-40 since I've owned the car, but since doing some reading here on the site, I've come to the conclusion that I may be better served with Castrol Edge 0W-30. My reasons are two-fold: I would like to gain another 1-2 MPGs by going with the lighter grade oil and the 30 grade oil would actually provide an increased oil flow to the turbo, which in-turn would keep the turbo cooler.

You can certainly run GC 0w-30, but you're not going to improve mpg by doing so. GC is actually very similar to M1 0w-40 at operating temp. They're both ACEA A3 oils, which means they are rather thick, high HT/HS oils, not energy conserving.

Don't expect any mpg gains from any VW 502.00 approved oils (which your car calls for, even though the owner's manual doesn't specifically call it out).

By the way, I used to own the exact same car at one point (chipped by GIAC). I ran both GC as well as M1 0w-40 in it. My UOAs should still be posted here in the UOA section, although it's been a while. From what I remember, the engine behaved a little quieter with GC, but it may have just been my imagination. No noticeable change in mpg.

Stay with M1, nothing can beat 5qt jugs at Wolly world. You can try GC but it harder to find and usually more $$$.

.1 to .2 MPG would be a realistic improvement, 1 or 2 MPG is fantasy...

You might try M1 5-30 as it has the Honda HTO-06 high temp low deposit spec turbo spec. It's the high number in the oil grade that may show MPG improvement, The low number may give your engine a little less start up wear.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You might try M1 5-30 as it has the Honda HTO-06 high temp low deposit spec turbo spec. It's the high number in the oil grade that may show MPG improvement, The low number may give your engine a little less start up wear.

Didnt know Mobil 1 5w-30 was VW502
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: tig1

Didnt know Mobil 1 5w-30 was VW502
smile.gif

Even thought I'm sure this oil will work well, your right, It isn't. I overlooked that. Thanks for pointing that out. Then I would stay with the M1 0-40.

Last edited:
I have the same engine with 247000 miles, less then 1/2 quart between 7500 mile changes
I have run Mobil 1 0W40, GC 0W30, PP Euro 5W40, PU Euro 4W40 and now Castrol Edge 0W40,
I have run analysis on all of them and then main difference I have found is in oil consumption; the PP, PU and Edge 0W40 have used less oil between changes then the others. The engine had some varnish build up with the Mobil and Castrol but went away with the PP and PU. If I could find the PU easily I would run it, I can get the Castrol 0W40 locally, the PU I have to mail order. All are good oils but these are my preferences after lots of miles. I used 0W30 initally but oil consumption was more then with the 0W40 etc. My milage is 28 around town and 32 on the highway at 70, 2002 Audi 1.8T, CVT.

Originally Posted By: Zero

am I correct on my reasoning above and would the 30 grade oil harm the turbo?

Firstly, M1 0W-40 due to it's higher 185 VI is actually lighter on start-up than the lower 166 VI GC at oil temp's up to about 75F. So every time you start your car you have no lubrication advantage with the lighter 30 grade GC. As the engine warms up, GC will thin out at a faster rate ultimately becoming somewhat lighter at normal operating temp's. I say somewhat lighter since GC has a 3.5+ HTHSV150 and M1 3.8cP which is fairly close.

In actual operation there is very little viscosity difference between the two oils that you'll be able to notice and it certainly won't translate into any fuel economy gain.
For you application I'd choose which ever oil is cheaper which likely is M1 0W-40 at WalMart for $22.69/5qt jug from what I've heard.

You're correct M1 0W-40 is cheaper and easier to find.

Since your car is spec'd for heavy 30wt oil, one easy way to run a lighter version of M1 0W-40 is simply to add a quart of the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20.
Just adding one quart will give you the lightest (HTHSV 3.5+cP) 0W-30 you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back