Whistling while accelerating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

For the last few weeks, I've noticed a whistling sound coming from the front, possibly passenger side, of the car when accelerating normally. It only happens when pushing the pedal to a certain point and it does NOT do it while revving in P or N. I have a video, but the noise is so faint, you can barely hear it. It sounds like someone blowing a whistle from far away. I hate to say this, but my 2 year old van was doing something similar when the AT went out or was going out... It's my 07 Civic EX, currently has 75k miles and changed the ATF at 40k and 70k miles with Honda ATF. Any thoughts or other tests I could try would be helpful. I'll try to get a better video later with a different camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bN2T237fcM&feature=youtu.be

I would check the level and make sure it is at the correct level and that the correct fluid was used.
My stepmom's 08' Oddessy did that and 6,000 miles later the transmission died.
About a month ago, The Oddessy would rev up and BANG into gear when you took off.
I think this will be replacement number 4, although it could be 5, I've lost track. I think with 75k on your Honda AT you have done EXTREMELY well. Honda's are much better when paired with a manual transmission and are bare bones trim.

Look for a vacuum leak on the air filter side of the throttle plate. Cracked hose, loose sensor, even a crack in the big intake hose .

I know the early 2000s Odys were known for AT issues. My neighbor went through 2 or 3 of them as well.

A few months ago I did experience something strange. When I came to a stop light, the car acted like it put itself into N. I let off the brake and it didn't move. Gave it a little gas, didn't move. I put it up to N, and it started moving in reverse. It was almost like all gears were off one notch. I turned it off then back on, and it hasn't done it since. I'm really hoping to get at least 100k out of this AT. It has been well taken care of since 12 miles on the odometer, so if it fails soon, I will never buy another Honda AT again.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Look for a vacuum leak on the air filter side of the throttle plate. Cracked hose, loose sensor, even a crack in the big intake hose .

Wouldn't this also be an issue when revving in P or N? So far, I've only heard it in gear and under load.

If you like Honda, I STRONGLY suggest you get a MT.
The ATs seem like a gamble. Some claim 300k miles and no issues and MOST fail early and failed more than one time.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
The ATs seem like a gamble. Some claim 300k miles and no issues and MOST fail early and failed more than one time.

Yes, I learned this a long time ago. Unfortunately, I was wanting to keep this car for my step-son to drive in the next few years. I won't be in the market for a new vehicle any time soon, but thanks for the advice. I probably won't buy another Honda again, AT or MT. Even the MTs have their share of issues. They're just not what they used to be. Plain and simple.

Just a thought, since my CR-V does this frequently. Is the air conditioning compressor running? There was a TSB for the A/C expansion valve because it whistles, especially if the engine is revved while accelerating. Maybe the Civic uses the same expansion valve. Apparently there was a redesigned valve that doesn't whistle. If it doesn't do it when the A/C is off and it's not in defrost mode, there's your answer.

I agree 100% with your last post. The Honda quality died around the late 90's. I was just trying to soften the blow.lol
I'm fighting with a dealer on a 12' civic for a buyback right now. The compressor quit. They replaced it, it started blowing warmer AC than it did before, they evac'ed and recharged it. NOW when you floor the throttle it shuts off the blower motor. PURE UNACCEPTABLE JUNK.

She is driving my Ford Diesel dually Crew cab 4 wheel drive 6spd MANUAL trans truck at the moment. She says it is her new commuter. I say HECK NO! It is MY truck..lol
She is claiming 14mpg out of it. The BEST I have ever done is 12mpg. She shifts earlier than I do though and runs it 65mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Just a thought, since my CR-V does this frequently. Is the air conditioning compressor running? There was a TSB for the A/C expansion valve because it whistles, especially if the engine is revved while accelerating. Maybe the Civic uses the same expansion valve. Apparently there was a redesigned valve that doesn't whistle. If it doesn't do it when the A/C is off and it's not in defrost mode, there's your answer.

I did try turning off the AC fan, and it didn't change. I too was thinking it was AC related.

Yeah, in the past I had a 98 civic MT (learned to drive MT on this) that I totaled (I was young and dumb and regret not taking care of it) and a 95 prelude that started needing work around the 200k mark (new clutch at 150k miles) so I traded for the Civic. Starting to regret it...

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek

Yes, I learned this a long time ago. Unfortunately, I was wanting to keep this car for my step-son to drive in the next few years. I won't be in the market for a new vehicle any time soon, but thanks for the advice. I probably won't buy another Honda again, AT or MT. Even the MTs have their share of issues. They're just not what they used to be. Plain and simple.

There quality and reliability may have somewhat diminished since the 90's but there are still leaps and bounds ahead of other companies when it comes to reliability and fit and finish. I believe as long as you replace the AT fluid with Honda Genuine DW-1, there transmissions will last 150k easily. My 06 Accord began to flare in 5th and it was a little rough when shifting, I had the transmission replaced at 100K because I knew what was inevitable. I talked with the previous owner and he had only had the fluid replaced once with generic fluid at a shop. Im sure that the reason for the early death of mine. But really, Hondas are extremely reliable, take care of them they take care of you. If you go out and buy a new chevy or ford or whatever, they nickle and dime you when they get over 100k. And they have issues early on in there life too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24

There quality and reliability may have somewhat diminished since the 90's but there are still leaps and bounds ahead of other companies when it comes to reliability and fit and finish. I believe as long as you replace the AT fluid with Honda Genuine DW-1, there transmissions will last 150k easily. My 06 Accord began to flare in 5th and it was a little rough when shifting, I had the transmission replaced at 100K because I knew what was inevitable. I talked with the previous owner and he had only had the fluid replaced once with generic fluid at a shop. Im sure that the reason for the early death of mine. But really, Hondas are extremely reliable, take care of them they take care of you. If you go out and buy a new chevy or ford or whatever, they nickle and dime you when they get over 100k. And they have issues early on in there life too.

For as many problems as you post about your Honda, and how fragile you think it is, my definition of extremely reliable is miles apart from yours. My GM and Ford cars combined didn't have nearly as many issues as your Honda has.

For as many problems as anyone posts about any vehicle out there, there are 100 or 1,000 owners with problem-free cars. We bought a 2007 minivan (brand withheld because it's not relevant here) brand new, and planned to keep it forever. It was riddled with problems from the first day. We finally sold it a few thousand miles outside of the warranty and were glad to be rid of it. If that one example was indicative of the entire brand, they wouldn't be able to sell any of them, yet they're always near the top for minivan sales.

If any unreliable vehicle ever posted on the internet represented that brand as a whole, nobody would have any reliable brands from which to choose.

Drive what you like to drive and be happy in that.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: gregk24

There quality and reliability may have somewhat diminished since the 90's but there are still leaps and bounds ahead of other companies when it comes to reliability and fit and finish. I believe as long as you replace the AT fluid with Honda Genuine DW-1, there transmissions will last 150k easily. My 06 Accord began to flare in 5th and it was a little rough when shifting, I had the transmission replaced at 100K because I knew what was inevitable. I talked with the previous owner and he had only had the fluid replaced once with generic fluid at a shop. Im sure that the reason for the early death of mine. But really, Hondas are extremely reliable, take care of them they take care of you.

For as many problems as you post about your Honda, and how fragile you think it is, my definition of extremely reliable is miles apart from yours.

Well, I believe the same about all manufacturers, some models are designed and built better than others. I think this generation Civic may have been bitten by the "mass-produced" bug.

You say the fit and finish is exceptional on the Hondas. If you mean non-mechanical, I can make you a list of cosmetic items that I had to return to the dealer to have them replace or repair. That doesn't include common problems with this car that I have NOT yet experienced, like paint cracking, engine block cracking, etc. I've had everything from rapid/abnormal tire wear, transmission fluid leaks, weather stripping falling off, cloth seat covers coming off, sun visors literally breaking off in your hand, and those were all with less than 30k miles. That's just the stuff I can think of immediately. I didn't want to turn this into a Honda bashing thread, and I still don't know if it's my AT at fault yet, but I just wanted to stress that although your Accord may have an exceptional fit and finish (and I tend to agree), it is not the case for all Hondas.

I did try turning off the AC fan, and it didn't change. I too was thinking it was AC related.

Just the fan? Did you turn off the A/C switch?

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Just the fan? Did you turn off the A/C switch?

I didn't think the compressor spins with the fan off... at least that's my experience with this car. I'll try it and see.

Just an update, the compressor (A/C) does go off on it's own when the fan is off, and it still happens with everything off. I also noticed that the sound of the whistle does get louder with higher rpm, but it's silent at very low and very high rpm. I say very high, i mean about 3k rpm. I rarely go more than that anyway. It's really only noticeable during slow-medium acceleration. Strange...

I had the same problem once. Turned out to be a protective film over some trim that came loose caused a whistle sound. LOL

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I had the same problem once. Turned out to be a protective film over some trim that came loose caused a whistle sound. LOL

Someone else suggested I check a sponge "gasket" around the blower behind the glove box. I guess I'll be playing "find the sound" this weekend while doing my normal maintenance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back