Ford WSS-M2C913C vs WSS-M2C946A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Does anyone know what the difference is between these oil specs? I live in Australia and the 913 isn't available to buy retail but the 946 is as Mobil 1 has this approval. Both are ACEA A5/B5 spec.

Vehicle is a 2013 Ford Focus ST with the 2L Ecoboost engine, which I believe is also used in a variety of cars in the US. In the service manual it states that the 913c must be used, but if the 946 is an equipment or better it would be good to know.

Thanks

WSS-M2C913-C is basically based off the ACEA A5/B5 2010 specification. The WSS-M2C946-A specification superceded WSS-M2C929-A, which was a 5W-30 viscosity meeting ILSAC GF-4. To my understanding, WSS-M2C946-A raises the bar to GF-5.

Thanks for the reply. When was the 946 approval issued?

Anyone know what Ford approval US spec STs require?

Not sure of the exact period, but I would assume round about the same time GF-5 was introduced.

Maybe bdcardinal will know about the STs.

Originally Posted By: aratic
Hi,

Does anyone know what the difference is between these oil specs? I live in Australia and the 913 isn't available to buy retail but the 946 is as Mobil 1 has this approval. Both are ACEA A5/B5 spec.

Vehicle is a 2013 Ford Focus ST with the 2L Ecoboost engine, which I believe is also used in a variety of cars in the US. In the service manual it states that the 913c must be used, but if the 946 is an equipment or better it would be good to know.

Thanks

Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5w-30 is the right spec and will be what the dealer uses (or should be), but you can only buy it in 20l or larger drums.

[edit] Castrol Australia part # 120204

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
Originally Posted By: aratic
Hi,

Thanks

Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5w-30 is the right spec and will be what the dealer uses (or should be), but you can only buy it in 20l or larger drums.

[edit] Castrol Australia part # 120204

Correct, but you can't buy it retail. Have tried a couple of places but was told the professional range can not be bought by consumers, only workshops and the like.

I think my dealer uses Havoline Energy which is also a 913c approved oil. Doesn't help me though when I want to do interim changes

Well you can buy it 'retail' you buy it from a distributor and as I said, the smallest size is in 20l drums, the same as the Caltex version.
The alternative is take your clean 5l container to the dealer and buy it, I've done that before with some Caltex lubes when I couldn't justify 20l (a specific PAS fluid)

Motul also market a 913C oil here in Oz, 8100 Eco-nergy 5W-30 and I'm guessing there's a Total/ELF version too.

Thanks for the reply. I have enquired about buying 20L drums but cant seem to find anyone who will sell it.

Reason I was asking about the 946A approval was that it seems far more readily available and from what falcon_ls has said above it appears its a better spec oil.

In saying that I want the car to run the same oil all the time so maybe taking in a container and buying it direct off the servicing dealer is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back