How do you bleed your system of air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read increasing reports of air stuck in systems for long periods of time. I suppose I could open my radiator cap cold, and squeeze upper hose until coolant comes out, then re-close, then drive, a few times. Would that do it?

Assume you have not drilled the thermostat before installing it. How do you bleed YOUR system?

It depends on the vehicle ,I have a 97 Monte Carlo and it has 2 bleeder screws ,,,One at the water pump and another on the thermostat housing

OCD1-823x1024.jpg

All depends on the vehicle. There is no one "way" to bleed a cooling system. Also drilling a hole in a t-stat is a butcher/hack method. Manually opening a t-stat and putting a Tylenol tablet in there works a lot better.

My reservoir feeds at the highest point in the system so for the first while I park and hear the bubbling.

Eventually it fills itself back up perfectly and we're good to go.

That initial fill is brutal though. The t-stat had a sort of check valve thing in it to bleed air, but that was too small. I ended up removing it and porting the hole it left out a little and it still refused to really properly bleed air.

I ended up filling the reservoir a bit, filling through the rad cap as much as I could, putting the rad cap on enough to seal the system, squeeze the upper rad pipe until it stops gurgling, remove rad cap, repeat process from step 2.

But once there's enough in there that it actually flows without overheating I let the reservoir deal with it the natural way.

The hole in the thermostat is just what you need. Not only does it get air out but it helps get coolant flow around the pellet better. It otherwise stagnates and the pellet over-reacts, slamming open, then slamming shut, which thermally stresses your engine.

The only downside is slightly longer warmup times/ worse economy/ emissions. Your trips look mostly long and interstate so the benefits of drilling outweigh the risks.

Furthermore, if you keep flushing through the radiator, the hole in t-stat will help keep at least some engine-side coolant circulating into and out of the rad, even at stone cold, which will help get the junk out.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
OCD1-823x1024.jpg

lol.gif

Just put the vehicle on an incline, and get the front end 8" or more above the rear, then let it run awhile at idle with the radiator cap off. Has worked every time for me.

Originally Posted By: volk06
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=your+stupid+question

Not a stupid question but none the less, have you ever heard of google? It's an amazing site where you can search and the answer by yourself instead of always relying on someone else.

You can hear a lot of buull on Google. Wanted to ask the professionals.

I am now re-reading eljef's suggestion, since I feel I got a bad thermostat. The thing used to work FINE then it just started running cool. And has worked with new Stat. Just my luck.

I probably won't touch it, but, having changed coolant.. There probably is air in there. And i see no bleeder screws.

I also like to let the engine run and loosen the upper hose until 100% coolant comes out, and it doesn't "hiss and spit." Then tighten hose back up. A good trick, to get out air? Or, cap off, and squeeze upper hose 50 times? Engine running?

As to OCD.. SSI. Since I'm not sure what OCD has to do with air bleeding. Explain?

* I even used the search function for "purge air" and either I used it wrong, or didn't see anything.

Last edited:
Buddy most of the answers people give you is from googling the info. Try educating yourself before you ask other people to spend their time educating you. Resources exist that answer your questions

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I read increasing reports of air stuck in systems for long periods of time. I suppose I could open my radiator cap cold, and squeeze upper hose until coolant comes out, then re-close, then drive, a few times. Would that do it?

It is unnecessary on a '95 tortoise. If you've topped off the radiator at least once since the thermostat opened at least once, it will bleed itself. This, of course, assumes that the radiator cap works properly and the hose to the reservoir has no holes and isn't plugged.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
OCD1-823x1024.jpg

Thats not even the half of it. Someone posts about a topic he sees it and then repost his own version. He has to be a troll. Its getting a little ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Never had a problem burping air out of my Taurus.

OK, cool. I'll go fire her up and squeeze upper hose with cap off.

Let's check the character comments, they are ignorant and factually wrong. And that OCD pic was a flame. Thanks.

If you've installed a new thermostat, an old school trick it to prop it open with 2-3 aspirin pills. Once it heats up the pills will fall out and dissolve, doing no harm to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back