SUPERCOOL Super Premium Ester Oil okay for engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Supercool Super Premium Ester oil safe for engine oil use?
http://www.supercool.ac/products/automotive-products/polyol-ester-oil-8-oz/

I own a 2005 Infiniti G35 with the noisy VQ35DE engine, which Nissan and Infiniti recommend only using Ester oil in to quiet down the loud ticking and knocking noises...my question - Is this Ester oil safe to use in it? (Even though it's recommended for A/C compressors and clearly reads compatible with R134 & R12 Refrigerants on the bottle and product description & is made for only this use.) I've read that Ester is an additive to conventional motor oil and that's what most companies actually do to make their ester blends, ester is ester aside from the different compounds used to make specialized esters...so instead of paying $12 per quart of Nissan's 'special' ester oil can I use this much cheaper alternative and just add it in myself?

Thanks for your input and help in advance.

Welcome. Some other members here have thought of adding such products to motor oil and most or all have been talked out of it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1467054
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1191725
BTW, there are a ton of varieties of esters and not all are friendly toward seals.
It's been said that Nissan's oil contains glycerol mono-oleate ester for friction modification, not esters that are typically used as base oils.

Originally Posted By: mitsuboost
Is Supercool Super Premium Ester oil safe for engine oil use?
http://www.supercool.ac/products/automotive-products/polyol-ester-oil-8-oz/

I own a 2005 Infiniti G35 with the noisy VQ35DE engine, which Nissan and Infiniti recommend only using Ester oil in to quiet down the loud ticking and knocking noises...my question - Is this Ester oil safe to use in it? (Even though it's recommended for A/C compressors and clearly reads compatible with R134 & R12 Refrigerants on the bottle and product description & is made for only this use.) I've read that Ester is an additive to conventional motor oil and that's what most companies actually do to make their ester blends, ester is ester aside from the different compounds used to make specialized esters...so instead of paying $12 per quart of Nissan's 'special' ester oil can I use this much cheaper alternative and just add it in myself?

Thanks for your input and help in advance.

It's not needed nor is any special ester oil for your engine It was the VQ37VHR that had the ticking and Ester oil recommendation and even my dealer fills with MS5K. If your hearing a ticking its either low oil level or a mechanical issue that no oil or additive is going to resolve. Most likely it's a normal VQ noise.

If you want a premium oil with esters, buy Red Line and forget about addatives. A heavier weight may quiet things down. 5w-40 is probably worth a try.

I would definitely recommend Red Line, Renewable Lube, or Motul 300V for ester-rich oils.

The Nissan ester oil is laughable; we ran it in my mom's EX35 (VQ35HR) and the UOA was quite disappointing.

I agree with the posters above. Adding an oil designed for HVAC compressors doesn't sound healthy. If your car requires some fancy-pants ester oil, either use genuine Nissan or Red Line.

There is the Nismo labelled Motul 300V 0W-30, but they only recommend an 1800 mile OCI, which could get pricey at ~$30.00/liter
(it is more than the regular 300V series oils, due to the NIsmo specific spec).
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Most likely it's a normal VQ noise.

I'd experiment with sensible oils rather than trying a bunch of additives. I'd step up a grade before I'd be using this ester additive. As for the Nissan ester oil, that would be near the bottom of my list of things to try. I'd probably be more likely to do a 20w-50 or a 0w-20 first.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Most likely it's a normal VQ noise.

I'd experiment with sensible oils rather than trying a bunch of additives. I'd step up a grade before I'd be using this ester additive. As for the Nissan ester oil, that would be near the bottom of my list of things to try. I'd probably be more likely to do a 20w-50 or a 0w-20 first.
wink.gif

I agree with this comment only because I don't know anything about it.
If you've got your heart set on adding an ester additive lubro-moly makes a product called motor oil saver. It's made from esters and its formulated for adding to engine oil. It reconditions seals,dissolves sludge and comes from a company I am familiar with and have faith in.

I wouldn't do this because refrigerant oils don't have the same additive package as engine oils. You might end up diluting the additive content of your engine oil, making things worse instead of better.

If you want to add esters, Hy-per lube has a "Zinc substitute additive" which uses polymer esters. Also, Lubegard has ester based engine oil additives.

I would just buy high quality synthetic oil and not buy any additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back