What Happened To This Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Quote:
While it wouldn't be my first choice based on cost for construction and efficiency, sure it will work fine.

Sure does work fine. There's zero wrong with the A02 except for prejudice from certain sectors of the public.

Again: absolute particulate filtration is a meaningless concept except for marketing purposes. There are more important things for engine longevity than capturing every last particle, no matter how small; A01 and A02 capture the important ones, ignoring the unimportant ones in favor of much-more-important flow and pressure.

Strokes for folks and the A-02 still wouldn't be and isn't my first choice. And while improved efficiency may be meaningless to you, there's zero downside to using a more efficient filter than the Honda OEM rock catchers especially using everyday dealer price as comparison.

And once again, there's no science to back the false assertion that oil filter flow is a significant factor in pc use. Engines themselves are typically 15x more restrictive than any filter, thus oil filter flow is an insignificant consideration. But, that's a discussion for the oil filter board.

That said, there's some folks just have a bias for oem labeled products whatever they may be. If ~65%@20um efficiency is what one seeks, the A-02 fills the bill.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

You didn't mention, or perhaps don't know who previously installed said A-02? Very few if any beyond dealer and perhaps diy would use Honda OEM filter.

A Honda dealer was the one who had installed this filter.

oil filter flow is an insignificant consideration.

Until it begins to load up and get choked and the bypass opens, at which point even 100% efficiency is moot. Automakers have to consider that scenario, because most of their engines will suffer some degree of neglect at some point in their lives. Better less-than-perfect efficiency than an easily-clogged filter.

That said, there's some folks just have a bias for oem labeled products whatever they may be. If ~65%@20um efficiency is what one seeks, the A-02 fills the bill.

I have a general bias in favor of Honda OE products because I have found them generally to be better than anything in the aftermarket. I trust Honda's judgements when it comes to most of their parts.

Plus, Million Mile Joe got his million miles using those inefficient Honda OE filters, while I'm up to 407K on them myself, so that poor OE efficiency can't be doing much harm.

Since you asked, I'd say you found a very exceptional deal on the A-02, so good in fact it should be on slickdeals. Add in crash washers and shipping and it becomes incredible. Even significantly lower than H&A prices(w/A-01) before shipping, which kills any savings here. I wouldn't normally store 10 filters but at that price, it would be worth considering. Fwiw, I can currently get a PL14610 with silicone adbv for $4.80 with store pick up, and have a Napa Gold 7356 with silicone adbv for ~$3.70 with 40% off semi annual sale. Won't mention the efficiency differences from A-02.

FWIW, if anyone else is interested, this is where I purchased my filters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-honda-oil-fil...1e4&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: Tegger
.....oil filter flow is an insignificant consideration in (pc use).

...... Better less-than-perfect efficiency than an easily-clogged filter....

What is an easily clogged filter? Post your findings of "easily clogged filters" listing those filters along with the testing procedure on the oil filter board for it to be reviewed and discussed. Quite certain those that frequent that board would be interested.

Your current strawman still leaves your false assertion that oil filter flow is "the" most important consideration in pc use. When you have the scientific studies as proof beyond your opinion, please post the studies on the oil filter board. Oil filter flow is still an insignificant consideration in pc use. And according to the Amsoil ISO testing of OEM oil filters, apparently "automakers" GM, Ford and Chrysler all think oil filter efficiency is significant enough to make their OEM oil filters at least ~94-95%@20um.
56.gif
Far more than the far less than perfect Honda A-02 ~65%@20um.

And while the posted anecdotal experiences are laudable they still don't prove your opinion that OF flow is anything more than insignificant in pc use. Again, please post on the oil filter board when you have something beyond your opinion proving otherwise.

apparently "automakers" GM, Ford and Chrysler all think oil filter efficiency is significant enough to make their OEM oil filters at least ~94-95%@20um.
56.gif

You go find me a pattern of Honda engines requiring early replacement or rebuild on account of a steady diet of those inferior OE filters and I might be persuaded to change my mind.

apparently "automakers" GM, Ford and Chrysler all think oil filter efficiency is significant enough to make their OEM oil filters at least ~94-95%@20um.
56.gif

You go find me a pattern of Honda engines requiring early replacement or rebuild on account of a steady diet of those inferior OE filters and I might be persuaded to change my mind.

Anecdotal again, not science. You made the all encompassing statement that oil filter flow is 'the' most important factor/consideration in oil filter construction. Prove it. And post your studies on the oil filter board for review.

Anecdotal again, not science.

"Anecdotal" nothing. I posed to you a simple challenge.

I said, "You go find me a pattern of Honda engines requiring early replacement or rebuild on account of a steady diet of those inferior OE filters and I might be persuaded to change my mind.".

You seem quite sure of yourself, so you ought to be able to come up with the evidence in a trice.

Anecdotal again, not science.

...You seem quite sure of yourself..

When it comes to your opinion that oil filter flow is the most important factor in filter construction and function I'm quite certain you can't prove it scientifically (ie. studies, SAE papers, etc.) or you already would have. Instead you pose inane anecdotal challenges that prove nothing. As I thought you have no proof to back your false assertion regarding oil filter flow. Only thing you got is Honda makes rock catcher oem oil filters, anecdotes and your opinion. Nothing more.

If and when you ever get the scientific studies to back your oil filter flow opinion, bring it to the oil filter board. Won't hold my breath. Done here.

My car sounded like a can of marbles on the A02. IT NOW RUNS much SMOOTHER THAN OE ON THE WIX 57356 AND THE NEW VALVOLINE SYNPOWER 0W20 - OUTSTANDING OIL THIS. I've tried many combos and most were not acceptable to me. The benefits of base end pypass are undeniable. Note that these engines use a new technology variable volume/capability oil pump (independent of RPM) to save fuel - so many old assumptions re: "positive displacement" are out the window. The L15 engine is VERY sensitive to OF and lube combos.

Man it loves the new Valvoline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back