IMAP server timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Win 7 and Windows Live Mail. My GMAIL is setup for IMAP as is my Live Mail. I was getting these IMAP timeout msgs for 60 seconds, so I bumped it to 5 minutes and still get them. Yet my mail seems to work OK, and I am sure I am not loosing internet connectivity for 5 minutes at a clip.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My GMAIL is setup for IMAP as is my Live Mail.

Why? what happens if you set them to POP3?

Donald, I suggest changing your DNS servers in your IP settings of your computer. Use the IP's of OpenDNS

Reboot, try again.

This isn't a cure-all, but it did help me in a similar situation with mail taking to long to respond.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

IMAP is a better way of handling mail especially if you get your mail from various devices. (Smartphone, tablet, PC).

Originally Posted By: Tegger

IMAP is a better way of handling mail especially if you get your mail from various devices. (Smartphone, tablet, PC).

+1 to what Donald said.

On my home computer I use Outlook. I then have an iPhone and use it's native Mail app. And when I'm at work or someplace, I use my provider's web-based application. No matter where I'm at or what device I'm using, I have access to a single, consistent set of messages. IMAP is the enabler; that wouldn't be possible with POP3.

RE: the OP's issue, I have a similar one with my wife's e-mail on our home computer. If she leaves Outlook open for an extended period of time, she'll return to a a Microsoft Outlook error stating "Your IMAP server closed the connection." Oddly enough, if I do the same, no message. And we both use the same mail provider.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Donald, I suggest changing your DNS servers in your IP settings of your computer. Use the IP's of OpenDNS

Reboot, try again.

This isn't a cure-all, but it did help me in a similar situation with mail taking to long to respond.

I recommend that you use Norton DNS. Free for home use. See link below.

Link To Norton DNS

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Link To Norton DNS

Looks interesting! You can select from three levels of protection and simply update the DNS IPs in your router. Nothing to sign up for; no software to download/install.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Reboot, try again.

Link To Norton DNS

Excellent tip, thank you!

I am not a fan of OpenDNS since they intercept certain DNS queries and redirect you. There are other public DNS boxes that don't do this, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I am not a fan of OpenDNS since they intercept certain DNS queries and redirect you. There are other public DNS boxes that don't do this, FWIW.

I find some of their redirects, particularly the ones related to malicious URL's very useful at particular sites I manage, FWIW.

No argument that there is some value in it, but I just don't like the interception in general. As a very technical person to begin with, I don't need that stuff. I use DNSbench to find the fastest local server to me (that supports DNSSEC).

No argument that there is some value in it, but I just don't like the interception in general.

I agree with you, but aren't most residential internet services intercepting anyway? My cable internet service is through EarthLink and if something isn't found, I would get an EarthLink-branded Yahoo! search suggestions page. I believe my family members' Comcast and Time Warner services do that same.

Interesting...

Yesterday, I switched my router's DNS settings to the IPs provided by Norton ConnectSafe, to see if there were any difference. Since the switch, I have not received the IMAP timeouts, which could just be coincidence.

This evening, while poking around on the Castrol USA website, I ran across a page where Norton ConnectSafe blocked content and showed a message stating, "This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. This site points to castrolsyntec.cache.peer1.net, which is malicious." Isn't that just a harmless Content Delivery Network?

No argument that there is some value in it, but I just don't like the interception in general. As a very technical person to begin with, I don't need that stuff. I use DNSbench to find the fastest local server to me (that supports DNSSEC).

You know, I'm a slightly technical person myself
wink.gif
But I still leverage OpenDNS in many of the environments I manage because of the security advantages it offers for the average end-user. Similar to Norton's offering.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc

This evening, while poking around on the Castrol USA website, I ran across a page where Norton ConnectSafe blocked content and showed a message stating, "This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. This site points to castrolsyntec.cache.peer1.net, which is malicious." Isn't that just a harmless Content Delivery Network?

Peer1 is a colo provider IIRC. They're probably just doing something weird/fishy with site certificates and redirects that Norton doesn't like.

I've also seen it happen in Chrome/Firefox if there's a compromised site(s) or ad provider on that domain with malware. For some reason they blacklist the whole domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back