What does this car probably need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, in browsing Craigslist today I came across a 1999 Saturn SL-1. It states that the car needs some work, and I was going to move on, until I saw that hes only asking $350! It says that it runs rough and (sometimes) when its put into gear, it dies. Im thinking MAF sensor, IAC, or vaccum leak. Any input? Should I scoop it up and take the risk? Thanks!

Hard to say based on your input but I would bet it's not a simple fix considering the $. May part out for more then $350

Techno-GHT is probably on his way to Iowa

Small risk, large possible reward. What is the auto wrecker value? You could always part it out if it looks like it will be a money pit. Hard to lose at this price.

Torque converter clutch is stuck.

Car also probably has rear suspension rust and leaky piston rings.Typical Saturn.

If you're really going to follow through on this, you need to talk to the seller and get a feel for their knowledge on fixing cars. If they seem like they know what they're doing and talking about, chances are they've thought about fixing it but don't want to due to cost and or how difficult the job will be. That should be a red flag right there.

Even buying it and parting it out is a gamble. If there's something wrong with the motor, who in their right mind is going to buy the motor. Likewise if it's a car with a lot of miles on it - everything is going to have a lot of miles on it - so what are you selling but a lot of worn parts.

I've done a little bit of that myself - I used to buy cars at police auctions and abandoned vehicle auctions. I'd pay 100 bucks for a car and part it out or I would buy two or three of the same kind of car and use parts off one to fix the other, sell it and sell the other for scrap. You can make some money on it but it is a lot of work and you do run the risk of getting burned.

Just a little side note - be sure and factor everything into your investment as this is going to cost you more than 350 dollars. For example, title transfer and cost of transporting car from buyers location to your location, (I'm guessing it will have to be towed since it's not running well).

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Hard to say based on your input but I would bet it's not a simple fix considering the $. May part out for more then $350

That's assuming his Taurus will get him there.

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
33.gif
36.gif

Buy it! You can always resell it later for $500 if you change your mind or are in over your head. $350 for anything that might make it home is a bargain.

They do not have MAF sensors. They run on speed density/ MAP.

Possibly the coolant temp sensor has gone south, flooding it with gas.

Call the guy-- don't email. Tell him you're coming right over. Beat an address out of him. If someone else also has the address you make sure you show up first!

When you get there check the surge tank for oil in the coolant and check the motor oil for presence and inky sludge.

If the coolant sensor doesn't do it for you, slap a crank sensor on it and do a full tune up with cheap copper plugs. Remove the bolts holding the coil packs down and check for rust; these bolts ground the coils and need to be clean.

I've had a bunch of these cars and it doesn't take much to get them in good nick. Also read up on saturnfans.com but buy the car first, it's slipping through your fingers as we speak.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

That's assuming his Taurus will get him there.

happy2.gif

No, I'm on my way to Elderly County, FL for some $100 abandoned and police auctions.

Taurus will get there just fine. Gonna buy 2 gallons Redline D4 to REALLY clean it up after pan drop. Will probably fix all problems.Can't hurt Them! (Working on next money. Taurus workey very well. I drive it.. what, like, 2500 miles in 2 weeks???....

To buy back my old car...

For a Saturn?????????????? Nah......

For an older Ferrari or some such? Yes...............

I would ask if you can look at it and do a compression check. Tell him if the compression checks out youll pay the 350 if it doesnt make it 250. Either way a wrecker engine and a few 12packs and youll have a good car. Thats worst case scenario. I would jump on it .

I would assume the worst. possible blown head gasket and overheaded warping or cracking the head. If you can work on it yourself, it might still be a deal. Those cars can be rebuilt and a new clutch for 1000 if you do it yourself.

TechnoLoGs No said:
That was 15 plus years ago when I lived in North Alabama - those 100 dollar cars are long gone - but you're welcome to visit Elderly County Florida, you could introduce your Taurus to the Bluesmobile - maybe they'll get together and make little Taurus babies.

Imagine if GM took a Toyota Corolla, GMed(bean counted) the [censored] out of it, totally ruining much of the quality engineering, and made the exterior body panels from plastic. That's a Saturn, its kinda like working on/living with a Japanese car of the era, except you do it more often and its rusts way worse.

Just for example, the trailing link in the rear end is so failure prone(snaps in half), GM only stopped stocking them last year. Whens the last time you heard of an import that snapped not extremely rusty suspension links in two?

The interior is also straight GM rattle machine and not very roomy at all compared to the competition, good luck if you're over 6ft.

I used to think they were decent, then I got to deal with one for a while.

If it's a Saturn, you better believe it's been rode hard and put away wet.

The flakiest people on the face of the Earth drive Saturns.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it's a Saturn, you better believe it's been rode hard and put away wet.

The flakiest people on the face of the Earth drive Saturns.

My sister in law has the Saturn SUV. She completely fits the flake profile. I didn't put the whole picture together til just now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back