Shotgun Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I picked up a Remington 870 12gauge Exp Tactical yesterday. I have been eying a shotgun for a long time now and I chose the Remington 870 after checking out many shotguns.

However I am a novice when it comes to shotgun ammo as I am mainly familiar with pistols. The place I bought the shotgun from recommended some birdshot for target and gave me a box of 25 12g 2 3/4", 1oz shot, #7.5

Here are my questions. Which ammo would you select for the following applications. I want to use 2 3/4"

1. Range ammo used for target. Do I want to use #8 birdshot 1oz?
2. Home defense. Keep in mind I live in non-gun friendly NY and a lawyer would love to pin intent to kill over maim in a defense scenario.

My barrel is not rifled..do I only need to worry about this when buying slugs? Any particular brands of ammo I should avoid or is all shotgun ammo decent?

My shotgun also came with a breach choke. I must have a choke on to avoid thread damage at the end of the barrel and I was told I can buy a plane choke. Are there particular shells I want to avoid firing with a breach choke on?

I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical. I don't shoot it much at the range, caused major shoulder pain. For a "home defense" load, I have Winchester PDX1 shells.

For home defense, use standard 2 3/4" #1 buckshot or low recoil 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Never use birdshot for home defense.

Use whatever. I have droped deer thirty yards with number four birdshot. Most the shot at30-40 yard stayed tighter then two inches. It will kill intruter dirt nap dead in the next room over through the wall. Kill the wife and kids in the room behind him and continue to the neighbors. Try never to use any shot guñ in home.

Ken

For range practice ammo- whatever light-load, small sized shot shells are cheap. The 1-oz loads of #7 1/2 or #8 shot are ideal, #6 is fine too. If shooting clay pigeons remember that #8 has more pellets per ounce, & should produce a denser shot pattern.

I can't comment on any NY laws about intent- but for home defense I would want 2 3/4" length shells in 00, 0, or #1 buckshot.

Originally Posted By: JR
Use whatever. I have droped deer thirty yards with number four birdshot. Most the shot at30-40 yard stayed tighter then two inches. It will kill intruter dirt nap dead in the next room over through the wall. Kill the wife and kids in the room behind him and continue to the neighbors.

Try never to use any shot guñ in home.

Ken

Inappropriate / inaccurate advice.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
For range practice ammo- whatever light-load, small sized shot shells are cheap. The 1-oz loads of #7 1/2 or #8 shot are ideal, #6 is fine too.

I can't comment on any NY laws about intent- but for home defense I would want 2 3/4" length shells in 00, 0, or #1 buckshot.

+1

For home defense use 00 buck.

For range use use #4.

If you live with other people I'd use #4 for home defense.

Always keep a Cylinder choke in the Rem Choke to keep the fine threads from getting damaged.

Cylinder or Improved Cylinder are the only two chokes used for home defense.

If you use rifled lead slugs keep Cylinder in there for the same reasons.

Edit: For ammo brand I'd only use Winchester. MAYBE Remington. I've never had bad experiences with Winchester ammo, Remington can make some shoddy rounds.

Last edited:
In NY we have Castle Laws. In Plattsburgh, about 10 years ago, a man shot and killed a drunk college student through his door because he was trying to get into his home. No charges were filed.
NY State law requires all shootings to be investigated, but does not require that charges be filed in the event of a home invasion. Under the law, the DA has to prove that the intruder was not a threat to you or your family. The law does allow you to engage an intruder in your home.
If you have no neighbors close to you, load 00 buck, If you do, load birdshot, alternating #4 buck just in case you need more stopping power in a follow up shot.
Target loads are available for the range. I know Rio and Remington make them.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Hey all,

I picked up a Remington 870 12gauge Exp Tactical yesterday. I have been eying a shotgun for a long time now and I chose the Remington 870 after checking out many shotguns.

However I am a novice when it comes to shotgun ammo as I am mainly familiar with pistols. The place I bought the shotgun from recommended some birdshot for target and gave me a box of 25 12g 2 3/4", 1oz shot, #7.5

Here are my questions. Which ammo would you select for the following applications. I want to use 2 3/4"

1. Range ammo used for target. Do I want to use #8 birdshot 1oz?
2. Home defense. Keep in mind I live in non-gun friendly NY and a lawyer would love to pin intent to kill over maim in a defense scenario.

My barrel is not rifled..do I only need to worry about this when buying slugs? Any particular brands of ammo I should avoid or is all shotgun ammo decent?

My shotgun also came with a breach choke. I must have a choke on to avoid thread damage at the end of the barrel and I was told I can buy a plane choke. Are there particular shells I want to avoid firing with a breach choke on?

First off bravo on the 870, it's a great gun.

Target practice - use whatever is cheapest and whatever you can find on sale. The cheaper the ammo, the more you can shoot. Anything over $7 a box is too expensive, imo.

For self defense get Personal Defense/Reduced Recoil slugs or 00 buckshot. K.O. or Remington make some good rounds.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I've never had bad experiences with Winchester ammo, Remington can make some shoddy rounds.

I won't disagree with this statement - but for my shotgun I have had zero issues with Remington. I prefer Federal in my shotty but the Remington slugs and other rounds have been reliable and accurate. I like the Remington slugs better than Federal's.

I can't get rid of Remington UMC and .22LR quick enough though. Only reason I buy it is because it's cheaper than other rounds in my area and if you have a gun that's not picky then you're home free. If you do have a picky gun Remington rimfire and centerfire can be your worst enemy. They are seriously the dirtiest ammo I have shot.

With all due respect: there is some bad info in this thread. Do some research in shooting/law enforcement forums to get better info.
Some of what was said was OK but more wrong than right.

MHO BTDT.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For home defense, use standard 2 3/4" #1 buckshot or low recoil 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Never use birdshot for home defense.

+1

I have standard #1 buckshot in gun with 4 rounds low recoil 00 buck in speedfeed stock. All 2 3/4". I also have a light on mine..... which I highly recommend.
Bird shot for practice only IMHO.
I must respectfully disagree with most of JR's post above.

JP

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
With all due respect: there is some bad info in this thread. Do some research in shooting/law enforcement forums to get better info.
Some of what was said was OK but more wrong than right.

MHO BTDT.

Smoky

***** Agree

JP

Quote:

Agreed. Additionally, picking up and learning how to use some quality slugs like Federal PB127 DPRS wouldn't be a bad idea to increase the shotguns capability in special circumstances.

With all due respect: there is some bad info in this thread.

Would you be referencing this?
Quote:
I have droped deer thirty yards with number four birdshot. Most the shot at30-40 yard stayed tighter then two inches. It will kill intruter dirt nap dead in the next room over through the wall. Kill the wife and kids in the room behind him and continue to the neighbors. Try never to use any shot guñ in home.

Ken

Originally Posted By: whip

Quote:
I have droped deer thirty yards with number four birdshot. Most the shot at30-40 yard stayed tighter then two inches. It will kill intruter dirt nap dead in the next room over through the wall. Kill the wife and kids in the room behind him and continue to the neighbors. Try never to use any shot guñ in home.

Ken

That was a bizarre post LOL.

Go on over to nyfirearms.com and join up- you can learn a lot about NY gun laws and what is happening in our stupid state. In NY, you have to first call 911 and then let the intruder know you are armed and tell them you called 911. Also, you need to try and get out of the house if possible. Basically shooting them has to be last resort. NY is stupid- if you do shoot someone in SD in a home invasion- get a lawyer. Use buckshot or a HD shot shell.

Like I told my wife...if we have a home invasion and yes we do have a plan here and we both have firearms training but that plan includes throwing any ridiculous progressive etc laws out the window. Our lives-safety come first the laws/court second. Calling 911... LOL!

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Like I told my wife...if we have a home invasion and yes we do have a plan here and we both have firearms training but that plan includes throwing any ridiculous progressive etc laws out the window. Our lives-safety come first the laws/court second. Calling 911... LOL!

*** Agree. There are several hundred reasons I'll never, ever, ever live in California or New York. I like it here in Ks. thanks!

JP

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: whip

Quote:

Ken

That was a bizarre post LOL.

*** Must have been one of them new ultra, ultra, extra, extra full choke tubes! LOL
Not to mention, I'm not real sure about the legality of birdshot on deer. wow

JP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back