Reasonable asking price for a Raleigh Revinio 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is looking at getting rid of her Revinio in favor of a women's specific bike. There's nothing wrong with it, she's just spent too much time trying to make a men's bike work. Shifting is Shimano Sora, 8spd rear.

What, if any other factors do I need to consider?

edit: bike is approximately 3 years old (bought in the summer of 2011 for 770.00) and in good shape.

Last edited:
It will be hard selling it if your area is like mine. Most people into road bikes earn a good living. Newbies just getting into road cycling would rather buy something new than pay $500 for something used being afraid it will give issues.

Craigslist is a waste of time trying to sell high dollar bikes.

Stay away from the bargain Cannondale Synapse 8. My wife has one and she complains how [censored] the Shimano 2300 brifters are. We've had no luck selling it and aren't giving it away.

My wife bought a Terry and couldn't be happier. She is on her Sunday ride as I type this.

That's one brand we are considering. Their Liberator X saddle is what she uses currently and is very happy with it. The problem is finding a bike shop that handles them.

I've had way better luck selling stuff on CL than skyactive, but a big part of that may be my location. I'd think that $450.00 would be reasonable. I have to ask though, what is it that doesn't work? Because "women's specific" is for the most part an industry convention contrived to sell bikes. Torso length scales to height, not gender, and the smallest size bikes (Revino included) have as short a top tube as you can get on a 700C bike. Of course, if the bike is just the wrong size, that's a different story.

JOD, the discomfort is from her crotch... We've tried a great many combinations, from various saddles, bike shorts, stem angles to steering tube extensions, all in an effort to sit her up straighter and take pressure off that area. Last year, in a last ditch effort to get her comfy, I bought her an old, beater Schwinn. What's odd is that the two bikes "appear" to be in the same ball park at a glance. Do you think that you'd be able to pick out any glaring differences if I snapped a pic of them side by side?

supton, I'm not too sure what she's thinking right now. At first she was talking like she wanted another faster, road orientated bike. But now she's not sure if she want's to save the $$$ or spend the $$$. I wished I could say...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
We've tried a great many combinations, from various saddles, bike shorts, stem angles to steering tube extensions, all in an effort to sit her up straighter and take pressure off that area.

OK, so it's a saddle issue. The Schwinn is super-upright, with the bars above the level of the saddle. Here's the thing: initially, it may feel more comfortable, but it actually has the effect of putting more weight on your crotch vs. distributing it through the torso. This ends up causing saddle issues. It could be that the harder, less comfortable-looking saddle on the Schwinn may just be a better saddle for her. A "women's specific" bike isn't going to really solve the issue, particularly since the head tube on the Raleigh is pretty tall.

What saddles has she tried? While it looks ridiculous, my wife is using the race version of this saddle here. She had constant saddle issues until she switch to it. Basically, you sit on your sit bones only, and none of your other parts touch the saddle. I know a few guys who use it on their time trial bikes as well. There are never any guarantees with saddles, since it's so individual, but it may be worth considering.

I'm not entirely sure of that. We've tried the stocker on the Raleigh, the cheapy that came with the Schwinn, a Serfas Rx and the Terry Liberator X. The Serfas and Terry have been on both the Schwinn and Raleigh and she prefers the narrower Terry on either.

Currently with the steering tube extension and upward angled stem, the bars are at least 2" above the top of the saddle. The Schwinn is in that same area too.

When I get home tonight I'll snap a picture of the Raleigh.

oilBabe bought an inexpensive Schwinn seat that was wider for her Giant. It made all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back