Why does Ford recommend 5w20 and not 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volk.

The last time I checked Canadian MC was not the same. It had the same additive package as other XOM products. Is my data outdated?

It doesn't really matter, but like most have said it's probably because of cost to customers. 5W-20 is available in conventionals. 0W-20 is synthetic only, and more expensive, especially for people who get their oil changed at dealers/quick lubes.

Nothing stopping you from using 0W-20 though, it meets Fords specifications. I use 0W-20 in my focus anyway as you can see.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The last time I checked Canadian MC was not the same.

It still isn't the same as the U.S. stuff. The only possible exception is the 5w-50. Unfortunately, C-P has a very limited presence in this country.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
It doesn't really matter, but like most have said it's probably because of cost to customers. 5W-20 is available in conventionals. 0W-20 is synthetic only, and more expensive, especially for people who get their oil changed at dealers/quick lubes.

Nothing stopping you from using 0W-20 though, it meets Fords specifications. I use 0W-20 in my focus anyway as you can see.

Exactly. Nowhere in the Ford manuals, they say that you _have_ to use 5W20 synthetic blend. What you _have_ to use is the oil that meets Ford's specs. For the 20 grade oils, the spec name in the recent times was WSS-M2C945-A. For example, Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 meets this, as it is mentioned in the product manuals, as well as probably many other 0W20 oils. (Be careful though as some do not, even though they probably would be fine IMHO).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Volk.

The last time I checked Canadian MC was not the same. It had the same additive package as other XOM products. Is my data outdated?

I never said CA MC was the same. If you look at me previous post in this thread it mentions that all in detail. The COP line of oils has identical additive packages. The CA version is rebadged MS5k

Originally Posted By: Zako2
For example, Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 meets this, as it is mentioned in the product manuals, as well as probably many other 0W20 oils. (Be careful though as some do not, even though they probably would be fine IMHO).

If you can find it, Havoline 0w-20 also meets it.
Havoline 0w20 Synthetic Product Data Sheet

-Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back