engine vibration at idle on incline

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 05 civic when parking on a downward incline the engine will have vibration like a bad engine mount. But from what i see the mounts look ok. Would some vibration possibly be acceptable?! Any opinion, suggestions, advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

My mothers 2011 civic does that if you dont use the parking brake. In fact if you put it in park then let it roll that little bit until it fully stop's itself the engine will shake quite violently until it 'settles' itself. Seems to be much worse when facing down the incline.

Sorry if that made no sense, its for some reason hard to explain lol

Last edited:
2l8aqm8.jpg

Here is a picture.

The picture is upside down on here....not sure why. Is that a tear in the corner?

I had a VW Beetle with a bad engine mount. I did not know it until I changed timing belt and water pump. I could not tell by just looking at it.

I'd have all the engine mounts changed on an 05 that has a bad one.

It is still a newish car so it is worth it IMO.

The main thing is you know it is bad mounts, so you won't be taken for a ride by the shop.

Go it, say you want your engine mounts changed, and watch them perform the work.

Easiest way to avoid disappointment when you go to pay the bill.

The front one looks ok but seems soft. Like prying side to side with minimal effort I moves quite a bit.

How many mounts does that Civic have?

My LeSabre has 3 transmission mounts and 1 motor mount.

The front center transmission mount is the one that was split in two. It's also the mount that gets pulled on the most by engine torque. The guys at the shop told me to change the right side motor mount and the front center transmission mount; so I took the car home and changed them.

I was getting a worse symptom than engine vibration; the whole engine would slide over
and bump something whenever I made a left turn and went over a dip at the same time.

How bad is the vibration? A little bit of vibration in a car like a Civic is probably normal.

I remember when the motor mount(s) wore out in my aunt's Aztek. The engine would shake horribly at idle. It was very noticeable, there was no questioning of if it was normal or not.

Its noticeable. Doesnt seem normal. My theory is the engine s weight pressing on the mount on a hill is collapsing the mount enough to transfer vibrations. And in the picture above it looked like it had ripped a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back