Finally bought a REAL bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, il finally bought a new bike. I picked up a new Specialized Crossroads and I am in love. I realize most are probably riding more serious road bikes but for $400 it was by far the best deal I found locally. I opted for the green frame with brown seat and grips. I only have seven gears but it is flat as a pancake around here so I will be fine. I am replacing a 15+ year old mountain bike.

Is it pretty fast? That's one thing I missed by getting a Giant hybrid bike. Way too slow for me. I liked the front suspension fork and spring seat post though.

It isn't raod bike fast by any means. With only having seven gears it moves along just fine. I had a little digital odometer/speedometer installed. I can cruise at around 10 mph in 6th and probably peak in the high teens in 7th on a short blast. This bike is ideal for our local bike paths and riding around our town of 11,000. Also, I really like the size of the frame and riding position. Everything is infinitely adjustable as well, they measured me and set it up for me. It is a HUGE improvement over my 15+ year old road master.

You could improve the speed/riding efficiency by just going to better/faster/lighter tires, but, yes, the trade off is more flats, especially if your roads have broken beer bottles, construction nails/tacks/shrapnel/etc. littered along the shoulders.

Good luck with it, and happy riding.
thumbsup2.gif

I am thinking of getting an inexpensive road/cyclocross bike that I would not fear leaving locked up around this town, as I am NOT going to do that with my Merlin!
31.gif

Isn't it amazing what stepping up from a department/discount store bike will do?

I bought an entry level road bike last year and it's light years ahead of the Wal*Mart bike I've had and barely used the past 17 years.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Isn't it amazing what stepping up from a department/discount store bike will do?

I bought an entry level road bike last year and it's light years ahead of the Wal*Mart bike I've had and barely used the past 17 years.

This is what I always try to tell the "It's just a bike" crowd, people wonder why I have multiple bikes.. They all serve a purpose and after owning multiple bikes at the same time will never be a single bike owner again.

I bought my '99 Thrill from Performance Bicycles for $169. I just keep replacing parts as needed. One of the best purchases ever. I use it for any purpose and have been on daily rides of up to 100 miles. Not bad for a MTB

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

This is what I always try to tell the "It's just a bike" crowd, people wonder why I have multiple bikes.. They all serve a purpose and after owning multiple bikes at the same time will never be a single bike owner again.
It's a bit like shoes, you have shoes for rainy day, shoes for racing, shoes for hiking.

Originally Posted By: cjcride

It's a bit like shoes, you have shoes for rainy day, shoes for racing, shoes for hiking.

It's true... Expensive, but true. I have 3 bikes, and would have more if I could afford to/have the space to.

ngxqZ0D.jpg

Originally Posted By: cjcride

It's true... Expensive, but true. I have 3 bikes, and would have more if I could afford to/have the space to.

ngxqZ0D.jpg

NICE collection
thumbsup2.gif

@OVERKILL

Thanks, I love all my bikes!

@dailydriver

Yes, that is my 2010 Specialized SX Trail with a few upgrades, that I only use at the bike park. It is my favorite of the 3, just a lovely piece of kit that thing is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back