Wearever Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with Wearever rotors from AAP? Long story short, caliper seized, warped rotors on a 2001 Pathfinder. Whole wheel hub needs to come off for rotor change. PITA!

As cost is also a factor. Right now AAP has 20% off rotors which makes my final cost about $71 for the pair. Raybestos Professional grade from amazon has them at $84 for the pair. Wearever is 2 year warranty, Raybestos is 3 year.

How good are wearever? Are they good stuff or should I pony up the extra $13? They will be paired with Raybestos professional grade Ceramic pads BTW, if that makes a difference.

I am running them on my Pathfinder without issues. I have Wagner TQ pads too. Been about 15-20k miles so far.

You can find a pictorial DIY guide on brake pad & rotor replacement here. You should consider to regrease your inner and outer bearings too. You will need new inner bearing grease seals, but you can reuse the outer dust caps.

Also download your factory service manual here; to save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help!

I can't comment on Wearever rotors but I can give you a google search to try, copy paste.... advance auto parts wearever rotors site:bobistheoilguy.com Looks to have some good information and relevant threads.

And you may be able to do even better than 20% off by using a better online code, ordering them online with in store pick up. Check the link below from the promo board. ES123 may save more than 20% off. But read through the whole thread for more options, there's some links too.

More AAP codes

Matt, you seem to have all the answers to my questions! I'm now at 70K.

Actually I did change the rotors and pads at 50K, and regreased/repacked the bearings myself. All with new seals and all. I do have a copy of the FSM. The caliper slides work fine but the caliper piston decided to stick. I think I won't repack the bearings this time.

Right now I have the Oreileys white box (Brakebest IIRC) with Wagner TQs. My only complaint with Wagner TQs are that they didn't quite fit in the caliper groove and I had to machine them down significantly to fit.

Anyone else have experience with Wearevers?

BTW, I purchased a Wearever brakehose from AAP and it looks identical to the Raybestos pro grade I got from Amazon. Down to the manufacturer markings down the side of the hose.

I've used Wearever rotors, along with a half dozen different Chinese knockoffs found on Ebay over the years. I've never once had a problem related to the rotors. The only difference I've found between the higher end rotors, is they offer better corrosion protection on the exposed areas, where the pads don't wipe. This is probably a moot point if you live in the salt belt, as winter use will cause moderate corrosion regardless of what they're plating it with.

I suspect a handful of companies make them, and then distribute them to countless vendors for them to slap their name on. So the Wearevers are probably the same thing that Autozone is putting their Duralast name on.

Anymore, I won't go through the hassle of having rotors turned. On most vehicles I've owned, I can get a pair for about $50 or less (try E-bay), shipped to my door. I want to say the rotors for my 2001 Frontier 4x4 (probably very similar to the ones on your Pathfinder) were no more than $50-60.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I have them on a Civic, RSX and Accord.... no problems.

No notorious Honda "warpage" on your Accord yet ?? I am thinking of switching my fronts on the Acura to Wearever Platinums and Wearever rotors. The current combo of Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and Duralast rotors just isnt working well, rotors are getting warped in less than 10k miles. This is the second set under warranty. Side note, the Raybestos pads are AWESOME, excellent bite and are wearing like iron. Low dust as well and NO noise !

My favorite rotors are Centric Premium. They have a black coating on the rotor hat to prevent rust, so you can take the wheels off in the future.

Almost ALL brake rotors are Chinese, except some discs from DBA and EBC.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted

Actually I did change the rotors and pads at 50K, and regreased/repacked the bearings myself. All with new seals and all. I I think I won't repack the bearings this time.

If it got really hot, i would check the bearing grease. Its worth a few bucks for the seals and grease. I have seen brakes seize and get the bearing hub hot enough that the grease liquifies and runs out. A few thousand miles down the road the bearings go out and you have to go back in again. I'd repack them for piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: bourne

No notorious Honda "warpage" on your Accord yet ?? I am thinking of switching my fronts on the Acura to Wearever Platinums and Wearever rotors. The current combo of Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and Duralast rotors just isnt working well, rotors are getting warped in less than 10k miles. This is the second set under warranty. Side note, the Raybestos pads are AWESOME, excellent bite and are wearing like iron. Low dust as well and NO noise !

On my wife's '03 TL-S I used a set of ATE PremiumOne rotors and they warped. Earlier this year I replaced them with Centric plain 120 series, and so far no warpage. Both bought from Tire Rack. I notice they have hi-carbon 125 series now.

Obligatory Chinese rotor warning:

rotor_warning.jpg

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I have them on a Civic, RSX and Accord.... no problems.

I think the problem isn't the pad/rotor combo or rotor warpage per se but too much run out in the rotor and/or hub. Probably the hub since multiple rotors are developing pulsation, but maybe the wearever start with too much run out (not as likely though).

The only real fix is to turn the rotors while installed on the car, a correction plate under the rotor, or replacing the hub. A dial indicator kit from HF and a shim plate from NAPA would be one way to fix it cheaply.

Actually I just compared the rotors. I saved my old Nissan rotor and it looks the same as the Wearevers, by eye. Sorry I didn't have my calipers handy. My 2nd set of rotors Brakebest from Oreilys were thinner than Nissans (larger air gap) FWIW. And it warped when my calipers were a little sticky. Not seized but a little sticky.

I hope the Wearevers will last a good long time before I have to do the 3 hour job again.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory Chinese rotor warning:

rotor_warning.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back