Detail Doctor-what is this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see "detail doctor" a wipe on plastic restorer advertized on the car oriented tv channels by the "count" of Pawn Stars fame. I strted noticing it a few weeks ago.

Seems similar to another ad for a similar wipe on product. Both of them sound like over hyped, hard to use and expensive and cheap junk. Anyone tried them?

Hello, There's an old expression; "If something SOUNDS too good to be true, it probably IS." Well, in your case if "two things SOUND over-hyped, expensive, hard-to-use and RESEMBLE cheap junk, they probably ARE." Go with your gut. 'Good old boys' from current TV shows hawking repackaged products ARE NOT your friends. All they did was appear in an ad which targeted you. "Golly-Gee Willikers, I recognize those guys so I guess I'll buy their product." Make Momma proud, strengthen your brain's firewall. Kira

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The "Count" has a show called "Counting Cars".
Yep. His show got started from work he did for the Pawn Stars guys

Sometimes products come along that work as advertised. I don't see anything from the ads to think the products don't work as advertised. They aren't doing anything remarkable. It is a longer lasting armor all. I don't find that too good to be true at all.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Sometimes products come along that work as advertised. I don't see anything from the ads to think the products don't work as advertised. They aren't doing anything remarkable. It is a longer lasting armor all. I don't find that too good to be true at all.

BTW, there are several videos of similar products on you-tube

OP, thanks for posting this, I was going to but I was on vacation.

Seriously, has anyone used or know the ingredients in "wipe new" or "detail doctor"?

I was thinking they might have some chemical that "melts" a tiny surface layer of the plastic, sealing the pours.

Anyone know?

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
OP, thanks for posting this, I was going to but I was on vacation.

Seriously, has anyone used or know the ingredients in "wipe new" or "detail doctor"?

I was thinking they might have some chemical that "melts" a tiny surface layer of the plastic, sealing the pours.

Anyone know?

It looks to be more of an optical sealant/glazer considering it does wash away over time.

Last edited:
Just saw the commercial last night.
I've used Megs exterior trim detail spray and I wonder if its the same stuff in non aerosol. Whatever Megs is, after it sits a bit, it doesn't have that wet armor feel.

In case anyone is still interested in this one, I bought the Detail Doctor and was pleasantly surprised. It worked really well (it's a pretty understandable formula which contains linseed oil -- used in protecting and rejuvenating wood as well. Did my whole car with barely an eighth of a bottle.

Read a review too that was done by a news organization in New England. They had a similar experience. Here's the link: http://www.wvec.com/news/does-it-work/Does-it-Work-Detail-Doctor-202120661.html

Obviously it's not going to last forever, but it's certainly starting out to be far better than the typical rejuvenation products I've purchased before.

Well, yes there's that
smile.gif
The stuff contains linseed oil... and the bottle now has a warning. For anyone who's ever painted or stained a deck with linseed oil, you know the rags or other application tools you use can spontaneously combust if left in a tight space or in the sun. That is a little spooky for most people though, who don't have any idea about its flammability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back