Tires vibrating at 70mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my front tires changed after a road trip, the whole way there and back my car rode along just fine, nice and smooth even above 80 mph. I bumped a curb while I was there, but that had no effect on anything, still drove smooth on the way back home. After having my tires changed though, my car vibrates on the highway when going 70 or more mph. Is it possible the new tires are out of balance? would an alignment help?

Take them back to where you got them and have the tires balanced again . Either you have a bad tire or their machine/person doing it has a problem .

Yup, time for a rebalance.

I've had tires improperly balanced when new or rotated and balanced.

You may have a bad tire, a technician could've made a mistake in balancing, a wheel weight could've fallen off, the tire could have slipped on the rim,etc. so take it back.

Most new tires come with a 30 day "test drive" period. If the shop can't get the balance right, swap them for another brand. I just did that with a new set of Firestone Destination LE2s - I don't think they would have ever been balanced to my satisfaction.

At a shop I went to a young "intern" had broken one of the handles off the device which clamps the wheel on to the machine,
so the machine was producing weight numbers to compensate for the imbalance in the locking device. My car felt as though the wheels were flat on one side. The boss was not pleased with his 2 year associates degree in auto tech employee.

Not all vibration is balance. The tire can be out of round, or the tire can have "road force" problems--softer on one part, stiffer on another. Do not accept this. Demand that it be made right, either with correct balance or a replacement tire. Or, they might show you a bent wheel--your problem to get repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back