A friend is thinking of buying this car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know they made the Prius in 2001. Id opt for a Grand Prix or similar with the 3800. Bullet Proof motor and pretty good MPG.

I believe they have a good reputation, but I've never heard of a NiMH battery being "rebuilt". This is a very expensive component for hybrids and I have no idea how a buyer can assess their condition.

May be a great car but I'd be really, really careful. Unless your friend's commute includes a lot of stop-and-go driving, there's not a huge hybrid benefit anyway.

My local mechanic rebuilds these exact batteries because he wanted to prove that he could. Now they are a thriving hybrid business that is much less expensive than the dealer alternative.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Unless your friend's commute includes a lot of stop-and-go driving, there's not a huge hybrid benefit anyway.

+1.
Focus,Cavalier or Neon will do the job for less than 1/2 the asked price here.

As others have said, not much benefit to a Prius for hwy driving. And there is no risk of having to mess with battery replacement. Could get a much newer Corolla or Focus or Cobalt for the same price. Or a same age one for much less money.

Too risky.

A small older 500$ Corolla can give roughly the same mileage and put 4500$ back in your pocket, and be easily repaired by ANYONE.

A sensible person as this seller seems would likely keep the car.

I smell a hidden problem.

And 5,000$ is serious cash for this vintage.

Kind of weird he wants a newer car when an older Focus with clouded headlights is sitting next to it in the driveway. Hmmm...

Car looks like a Toyota Echo????

This car:
3re3Fd3J95Ef5Hf5t1d6kc5b3acd472301a45.jpg

(short-lived) Toyota Echo:
2005_Toyota_Echo.jpg

And it is sitting next to a Ford Focus.

Get a Ford Focus. They arent ALL that bad..

^+10,000 on why he doesn't ditch the Focus first.

Ask your pal if he'll enjoy being taken for 5 large.

If he says yes, well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
A small older 500$ Corolla can give roughly the same mileage and put 4500$ back in your pocket, and be easily repaired by ANYONE.

what decade are you living in? - good luck on finding *any* Toyota with great mileage for less than $3000, especially in Cali

Indeed, you can't beat a GM vehicle with the Series II 3800. Some engines don't survive the inevitable intake manifold gaskets going bad (they all go bad eventually), which will dilute the oil with coolant in many cases, trashing the bottom end. If it survives that (the new gaskets are an improved design), they are bullet-proof, powerful, simple cast iron motors that will run to 300k and beyond very inexpensively. 30 mpg on the highway is not unheard of, but 26mpg combined hwy/city is pretty typical.

If I were buying a 10+ year old vehicle, a 3800 based powertrain would be my first choice, extremely dependable. The 4T65E transmission that is usually paired with them can be finnicky; it's a robust design, but there's a solenoid that likes to malfunction which causes hard shifts. The PCM sees that shifts are taking too long, and it maximizes the fluid pressure to shorten shift time (to prevent excessive wear to the clutches and such), which causes the hard, abrupt shifts. More often than not, a $40 shift kit is a permanent band-aid for this situation, and the transmissions will easily go 200k+.

Grand Prix, Bonneville, Buick Regal, Le Sabre, Riviera, Park Avenue, some Monte Carlos, Oldsmobile 88, are some of the vehicles you'll find it in. Some Camaro/Firebird models will have a longitudinally mounted 3800.

Series III motors came out in 2004 and beyond, and offered many improvements. I had a 2001 supercharged Bonneville with the Series II engine, and it was the most fun, dependable car I've ever owned. I had absolutely no qualms about driving 2,500 miles across country, even with 175k miles. Lots of little stuff liked to break (window regulators and misc items), but nothing that would keep the car from getting from point A to B. Parts were dirt cheap, and vehicle was incredibly easy to work on.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I believe they have a good reputation, but I've never heard of a NiMH battery being "rebuilt". This is a very expensive component for hybrids and I have no idea how a buyer can assess their condition.

May be a great car but I'd be really, really careful. Unless your friend's commute includes a lot of stop-and-go driving, there's not a huge hybrid benefit anyway.

I believe Consumer Reports did a study some time ago that compared battery performance between a 1st gen Pruis with 200k, and a newer model. The difference was negligible, less than 5% IIRC. But one thing is for sure, the batteries won't last indefinitely, and it stands to reason that when they do begin to fail, they may do so quite suddenly.

I'd pass. Try looking for a used echo, model sale duration was short lived (6 years); car is not; reasonably driving will get high forties or 50mpg if a stick.

better find Prius gen 2, cells are more available and cheaper on ebay than gen 1. If he will need to replace some in future.

Last edited:
Adding another $.02 following the consensus in this thread.

I'd probably pass on the first-generation, aging hybrid tech, plus the price is too high.

Better off with saving money/getting a cheaper compact from that era, or, spending that money to get something newer/nicer.

You can't get a 15 year old Corolla in California for 500$?

I should move and go into the junker business.

These things are lawn mowers on (slightly larger) wheels and don't rust.

Last edited:
Quote:

If are selling corollas for $500, i'm moving there too. lol.

$500 gets people almost nothing in most states.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

If are selling corollas for $500, i'm moving there too. lol.

$500 gets people almost nothing in most states.

Considering the scrap value of a typical car is $300

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back