2013 Kia Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a New 2013 Kia Soul 2.0 about a month ago, it has about 1000 miles on it, when should I do the first oil change, my dealer said every 5000 to 7500 miles, should I do it alot sooner?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Those don't need oil changes silly. That's what makes it a special car just for you.
36.gif

Congrads on the new car!

I think that is DI'd so I'd want to change it more often than 5000-7500 miles. Esp for the first OCI.

I'd prob go for 3000 miles then get a UOA on a 4k OCI and go from there.

Take care, Bill

PS: Just looked the 1.6 is DI'd so I'd change the first @ 3-4k then do a 5k OCI and UOA to see how life is.

Those don't need oil changes silly. That's what makes it a special car just for you.

And your point is?
whistle.gif

Robbie, the jury is out. Many will say to change according to your owner's manual, and many will say to change early since wear metals are higher during break in.

Either should work fine for your Kia. I am in the change early club, as IMO it is better to get all those suspended particles out. For our new vehicles, oil is changed at 500, 1500, 2500 and 5000 then according to owner's manual. Excessive by some folks' standards.

To be fair, Hondas have a very stout factory fill for break in, and go 10000 before the first change. I don't know what Kia's factory fill is though, perhaps someone will come along that does.

---

Yeah, not necessary. I probably shouldn't even acknowledge this idiotic post.

---

Last edited:
I would guess the FF on the KIA is 5w20 QSGB, I'm not aware of Hyundai/KIA using any special "break in" oil.

Follow the owners manual or not less then 1/2 the recomended first oil change. Assembly lubs contribute to good break-in and removing it too early is not good. Eed

DI engine, I'd follow Bill's advise. IMO the jury is still out on DI, and I'd rather spend a few $$ on a UOA or two so I could sleep easy knowing 'my OCI' is good for 'my engine'. Opinions vary, flame suit on for DI lovers and OLM lovers.

Judging by some of the posts in this thread, everyone must still be drunk from the 4th of July. The OP's post states he has a 2.0 - no DI in that motor.

Congrats on the Soul. I really like that vehicle - it's a unique package at an excellent price point. I can't wait to see the redesigned 2014.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
For our new vehicles, oil is changed at 500, 1500, 2500 and 5000 then according to owner's manual. Excessive by some folks' standards.

Excessive and anal retentive.

Congrats on the new car. Hope it lasts you a long time. I am in the change the oil out early the first time. Usually in the 2-3k mile interval. And I pick a nice day when I am not in any hurry. And my thoughts are that at 2-3 k miles, the engine lubes have had time to get break in going and I will get some of the metals out early. Enjoy the new ride.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Judging by some of the posts in this thread, everyone must still be drunk from the 4th of July. The OP's post states he has a 2.0 - no DI in that motor.

Congrats on the Soul. I really like that vehicle - it's a unique package at an excellent price point. I can't wait to see the redesigned 2014.

Bill was giving advise for a DI engine, which I agree with. No DI engine, then it should be easier on the oil, that should be good news for the OP.

You're right though, I'm not drunk but I do have a touch of a hangover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
For our new vehicles, oil is changed at 500, 1500, 2500 and 5000 then according to owner's manual. Excessive by some folks' standards.

Excessive and anal retentive.

Hahahaha, yeah you're just mad I called your post idiotic. Can you just drop it? I can and that's what I prefer.
cheers3.gif

If not, guess we won't be getting along.

Last edited:
The Seoul reason to do an early oil change is to remove break-in [censored].

I don't 100% buy that "break in oil" theory.

I sleep better with a few short OCIs after purchasing a new car.

My ex has a Sorento 2.4 di the oil smells of fuel by 3,000 miles change it every 3,000 cheap insurance in my book and I would do it early the first time.

Just follow the owners manual. Changing it early is a waste of time, money and resources. As far as getting the "suspended particles" out early, the oil filter already does that for you. For 99% of people, never letting your oil level get excessively low is way more important than changing your oil early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back