PYB is the BEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tzu
I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 and the ONLY reason I went with synthetic oil was to try and quiet the piston slap I have. I know people say the whole piston slap thing is over blown, but it's annoying as anything if your the one stuck with it (especially those that live up north in winter). I switched from PP to PYB after running it over 5 years and 125,000 miles and my truck seems quieter on conventional. Oil looks the same as synthetic after 3,000 miles so far on OCI and hasn't burnt a drop that I can tell. The new SN version is great and much cheaper. It worked well for me. Congrats to you.

how come you dont use highmiles version instead of regular version ? since it good or better then regular version ? and what weight did you use to quiet down the knock on start up ?

Last edited:
My truck uses about 1/2 quart for a 5-6,000 mile OCI with PP10w30. I never used the HM formula because I thought it wasn't enough oil loss to consider it. The PP5w30 made the piston slap more noticeable than the PP10w30. The PYB10w30 might be even thicker than the synthetic equivalent and that seems to be working for me. I bought the truck with 96,000 miles and now it's at 236,000. So for me, 125,000 miles worth of synthetic is long enough to see it's merits or not. My goal was to try and reduce start up noise. I like it so far.
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 and the ONLY reason I went with synthetic oil was to try and quiet the piston slap I have. I know people say the whole piston slap thing is over blown, but it's annoying as anything if your the one stuck with it (especially those that live up north in winter). I switched from PP to PYB after running it over 5 years and 125,000 miles and my truck seems quieter on conventional. Oil looks the same as synthetic after 3,000 miles so far on OCI and hasn't burnt a drop that I can tell. The new SN version is great and much cheaper. It worked well for me. Congrats to you.

how come you dont use highmiles version instead of regular version ? since it good or better then regular version ? and what weight did you use to quiet down the knock on start up ?

My truck uses about 1/2 quart for a 5-6,000 mile OCI with PP10w30. I never used the HM formula because I thought it wasn't enough oil loss to consider it. The PP5w30 made the piston slap more noticeable than the PP10w30. The PYB10w30 might be even thicker than the synthetic equivalent and that seems to be working for me. I bought the truck with 96,000 miles and now it's at 236,000. So for me, 125,000 miles worth of synthetic is long enough to see it's merits or not. My goal was to try and reduce start up noise. I like it so far.

when I was having my 2000 silverado z71 5.3L vortec. It do have knock sound for first 2 second and it disapear unless I idle it more then 5 min and you can heard the light knock, when motor fully warm up, no more knock. anyway after doing some research I use havoline HM 10w30 and throw away P1 and use napa gold. No more start up knock. it does still light knock if I idle it for too long, but knock go away every time engine fully warm up, which is 10-15 min driving. anyway I trade it in for 2013 silverado 5.3L vortec
smile.gif

I found PYB 10w-30 to pretty much eliminate piston slap at start up in summer. In the winter I used GC. It didn't get rid of the slap but I wasn't worried about it with that oil.
This winter I'll be using devlac 222. I'm going to buy a 5 gallon pail for use in my turbo fox,the 5.0 fox and the chev.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I found PYB 10w-30 to pretty much eliminate piston slap at start up in summer. In the winter I used GC. It didn't get rid of the slap but I wasn't worried about it with that oil.
This winter I'll be using devlac 222. I'm going to buy a 5 gallon pail for use in my turbo fox,the 5.0 fox and the chev.

Great plant . You don't mind I ask what oil filter you run with pyb 10w30

They have it at Vons grocery store for $6.99/quart.
Red grapes are $3.99/pound.

Meanwhile over at Winco:
Union 76 is $2.98/quart
Red grapes are $1.48/pound.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They have it at Vons grocery store for $6.99/quart.
Red grapes are $3.99/pound.

Meanwhile over at Winco:
Union 76 is $2.98/quart
Red grapes are $1.48/pound.

I was at Walmart earlier and had a dilemma. I couldn't choose between green and black grapes,so instead I grabbed a half gallon of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and just got through eating half of it!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was at Walmart earlier and had a dilemma. I couldn't choose between green and black grapes,so instead I grabbed a half gallon of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and just got through eating half of it!!
laugh.gif

I've been putting vanilla extract in my coffee -- just a 1/4 teaspoon. And then I add two heaping spoonfuls of Coffee-Mate, an envelope of Splenda, and a couple a squirts of honey. By time I get it all doctored up like I want it, it tastes more like a warm milkshake than a cup of coffee.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: jorton
I feel a little better now. Pennzoil site rates PYB and HM 2 stars out of 5. That was reason enough till just now to to dump my HM early. That page is just dumb:) Oh. You can see the oil drain holes in the piston pictures. Those are the holes you don't want to plug up.

Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle is rated three oil drops, and so is the blend. PYB is rated two oil drops. Just mouse over the quart bottles at the top of the page.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/

laugh.gif

I've been putting vanilla extract in my coffee -- just a 1/4 teaspoon. And then I add two heaping spoonfuls of Coffee-Mate, an envelope of Splenda, and a couple a squirts of honey. By time I get it all doctored up like I want it, it tastes more like a warm milkshake than a cup of coffee.
grin2.gif

That sounds very tasty
smile.gif

Take your pick. The latest PQIA testing showed KV100=10.5 cSt, KV40=66.4 cSt, and they don't do an HTHS. 3.1 to 3.2 is a good estimate for an ILSAC rated 10w-30. The Pennzoil data sheet shows KV100=10.5 cSt and KV40=69.5 cSt. It doesn't show the HTHS either, but it's an rather narrow band that you're going to see with an ILSAC 10w-30, not likely to be any lower or higher than the values I gave above.

laugh.gif

grin2.gif

Man that sounds DELICIOUS!!
laugh.gif

Something I remember about the old formula PYB (the pre-Sopus stuff),it always kind've had a rotten egg smell. When it went to a Sopus made product,it went to an almost sweet smell. I always remembered this because I have a friend who's a hard core Pennzoil girl and she'd sometimes swing by my place to change the oil in her car,and she'd bring dinner over for my hard work
laugh.gif

Been using Pennz for the last 45 yrs, put up with a lot of [censored] from others "Pennzoil is wax etc,etc" use it in all my vehicles, 83 Silverado rolling on 230K with original 305 still running great on Pennz HM 10W40, 2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6 running Pennz Platinum 5w30, wifes 2000 Blazer 4.3 running Penzz HM 10w30 and my daughters 2005 Cobalt and 2007 Saturn both running on Pennz HM 5w30
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back