Saturn SL2 "Reverse Slam" Cure; Additive to Use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I bought a used 2000 Saturn SL2, 137k Mileage, a few days ago.

This Saturn has a "Reverse Slam" Problem. After the Vehicle warms up there will be a 1 to 2 second delay when shifting into Reverse, then it Slams into Reverse. This appears to be a fairly common problem with Saturn Automatic Tranny's.

I found online a simple cure for this problem, hopefully it will work.
Link to cure is: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

Question I have for you all is, What Transmission Additive do you all suggest specifically for this Reverse Slam Cure Trick ?

All Forward Gears in this Tranny work fine, so I specifically need to pick which additive would work best for this Reverse Slam Cure Trick. As well, I Deliver Pizza at a High Volume Pizza place so my Tranny will see Taxi-Like Driving Conditions.

3 possible additives to use are: Lucas Transmission Fix, Prolong Transmission Treatment or Lubegard Tranny Fluid Protectant. Which of these 3 do you all suggest ?

If you suggest Lubegard do you suggest the "Red" or Platinum ?

Thanks in Advance

Hi There...

First I would make sure the ATF level is correct and that the fluid was not burnt, etc. If it is, you may want to change all of the ATF with new (no chemicals) Also change the filter if it has one (spin on I think) The only additive I'd ever use in a tranny is Lubegard - and - I would need a good reason to do so, which in your case if the fluid is good I would try it. Of the two, I'd use Lubegard red.

If the Prolong transmission product is as good as their engine oil treatment, you might as well junk the car now.

Lucas stuff has always seemed "gimmicky" to me and isn't held in high regard here.

Lubegard stuff, OTOH, is generally considered decent. I would do as MysticGold suggested and get a complete fluid exchange first, then if that doesn't do it, try the LG.

Originally Posted By: Scanoe
Hello,

I bought a used 2000 Saturn SL2, 137k Mileage, a few days ago.

This Saturn has a "Reverse Slam" Problem. After the Vehicle warms up there will be a 1 to 2 second delay when shifting into Reverse, then it Slams into Reverse. This appears to be a fairly common problem with Saturn Automatic Tranny's.

I found online a simple cure for this problem, hopefully it will work.
Link to cure is: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

Question I have for you all is, What Transmission Additive do you all suggest specifically for this Reverse Slam Cure Trick ?

All Forward Gears in this Tranny work fine, so I specifically need to pick which additive would work best for this Reverse Slam Cure Trick. As well, I Deliver Pizza at a High Volume Pizza place so my Tranny will see Taxi-Like Driving Conditions.

3 possible additives to use are: Lucas Transmission Fix, Prolong Transmission Treatment or Lubegard Tranny Fluid Protectant. Which of these 3 do you all suggest ?

If you suggest Lubegard do you suggest the "Red" or Platinum ?

Thanks in Advance

The platinum is a combination of the black and red which you don't need if your running the correct fluid. So go with straight Lubegard red. I would use it along with a drain and fill/exchange of fresh fluid.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

It is pretty easy to do, and it is one of the ONLY American cars to have a drain plug for its automatic transmission.

Just change it with a quality synthetic ATF like Mag 1 Synthetic ATF and see if that fixes it.

Also, the transmission filter is a spin-on filter, like a regular oil filter.

Yeah, it has a 15mm plug on the transaxle and a spin-on filter.

Fluid and filter changes are required every 30K.

If yours already has the reverse slam, just buy a reman valve body and install it. Back then, they were only around $300 and the sonnax sleeve kit would prevent the problem from occurring.

I do not believe the additive will help. What you really need to do to fix this is to replace the transmission valve body. The Saturn Automatic transmissions in the SL series had a design defect. They used a steel valve that travelled back in forth in an aluminum cylinder. Eventually the aluminum cylinder wears and ATF bypasses the steel valve. A company (I think the name is something like Sonnex) came out with a steel sleave retrofit. The valve body rebuilder drilld out the aluminum cylinder then taps the steel sleave into the hole so the rebuilt valve body has a steel valve moving in a steel cylinder. If you replace the valve body, make sure the new one has the Sonnex update. I've seen the rebuilt valve bodies sell on ebay for about $150 (with core return) and it is about 2-1/2 hours work replacing it. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
If the Prolong transmission product is as good as their engine oil treatment, you might as well junk the car now.

Lucas stuff has always seemed "gimmicky" to me and isn't held in high regard here.

Lubegard stuff, OTOH, is generally considered decent. I would do as MysticGold suggested and get a complete fluid exchange first, then if that doesn't do it, try the LG.

This.
But I don't think any additive will help a mechanical defect.
Update us if it does,or doesn't. We love anecdotal experiences here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back