Which of these fuels should I make my permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, all those who use non top tier must be stupid, count us in.

We buy 3k per month in fuel average at the busiest and CHEAPEST joint in town near our facility.

We haven't had a fuel related issue in decades.

Originally Posted By: 07734
Down to Shell @ 3.29 and Exxon @ 3.29

Both at 3.29 The question comes down to the two that are "TOP TIER GAS"

Exxon or Hess for the same price.

which gas would you make your permanent fuel, and never switch from... both 3.29. Switching back and forth isn't recommended.

So who wins here. Exxon or Shell?

Just flip a coin. Best two out of three wins, if you want to make it interesting.

Where are the Moderators on leave, asleep, on strike, peed off or getting a little too slack lately ?

Unusual for BITOG they are normally on the mark.

The thread should be moved to its correct Forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
6 pages of "where should I buy my gas" - isn't there an app for that? Oh yeah and we have a thread on that too.

33.gif

I believe the app is for cheapest gas, not best gas. Besides the 3-4 punks, basically adding nothing to the convo there was some good info in here.

But people like you gotta put in your 2 cents even if there is no reason for it. People like you just like to hear yourself talk.

-

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Id kill to pay your prices. Still over $4 a gallon here!

now we know why CA gas is more expensive.

REposting

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Originally Posted By: GMorg
For Hyde244: Do you have a comparison of CA detergent requirements and Top Tier? My understanding was that CA has higher requirements than EPA but not as high as Top Tier. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

CA standards are stricter than Top Tier standards in an emissions sense. While Top Tier gasoline emphasizes increase detergents, CA Standards focus on having fewer contaminates in the fuel.

Or as quoted:

Quote:
CARB gasoline is a type of reformulated gasoline designed to reduce emissions. It reduces the emissions of NOx and volatile organic compounds, has lower benzene and sulfur levels, and limits the amounts of aromatic and olefinic compounds in the blends. It is required throughout the state of California.

At present, there is on average 30 ppm of sulfur in U.S. gasoline (http://www.epa.gov/oms/standards/fuels/gas-sulfur.htm). CA gasoline has only 10 ppm. California also has reduced levels of benzene, T50, T90, Olefins, and RVP compared to US EPA and Top Tier standards. All of these contaminants and emission by-products are believed to contribute to build-up and "gunk" inside the engine.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/gasoline.htm

CA standards have a cleaner burning fuel, with fewer emissions and less deposits. I would venture a guess that the reduced amount of contaminates in CA gasoline is comparable to the increased amount of doubling/tripling fuel detergent levels in Top Tier gasoline.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
I believe that any extra cost for Top Tier fuel will pay for itself in lower maintenance costs over time.

In the long run, maintenance (through better fuel) never costs you!

I think so too....

As the computer geeks used to say: RTFM. If you have purchased a new car in the past few years there is a a little special part about using quality gasoline that didn't use to be there. Ten years ago they would tell you to use quality 87 grade and that would be that. Its clear to me that Ford at least, is way more paranoid about fuel quality than oil brand these days.

I was very very peripherally involved with the industry.

Visited a refinery that supplied Chevron and a major independent. The Chevron trucks would get a dose of detergent on their way out the gate. No difference in price at the pump, so I've never stopped at the independent again.

Talked to a jobber.From his standpoint, the detergents were markers that the oil companies used to make sure that only their gas was being sold on site. They could easily sample the gas and see if it was really theirs.

So: Yes, there is a difference in gas coming from the same refiner. Yes, you can be reasonably assured that a top-tier brand received its dose of detergent--they have an important independent reason to make sure all their gas is marked.

Its no big deal, and you can always fiddle around with bottles of Techron but go to a top tier station or another station that is known by you to add a lot of detergent to the gas if you have a newer car.

My 4.6 4V Cobra gets inconsistent fuel mileage. Depending on the gas stations choice of octanes, the car seems to run best on 91 octane than 93 octane, enough that it's noticeable. The wife has filled it up with 93 several times out of ignorance. I have not calculated mpg's, just seems that our Sheets gas goes a long way. Out of convenience, I use Exxon most times. Never experienced "bad" gas yet.

Originally Posted By: RobbS
My 4.6 4V Cobra gets inconsistent fuel mileage. Depending on the gas stations choice of octanes, the car seems to run best on 91 octane than 93 octane, enough that it's noticeable. The wife has filled it up with 93 several times out of ignorance. I have not calculated mpg's, just seems that our Sheets gas goes a long way. Out of convenience, I use Exxon most times. Never experienced "bad" gas yet.

Really.
The 4v I've got in my 2000 is very consistent on fuel. Its not dyno tuned yet but the few tanks I've managed to run thru it have gotten me 600kms,with 3.90 gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back