Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic OCI at 6,500 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running M1 up to about 9,000 miles before changing the oil in my 2003 Crown Vic and was thinking I could do up to 6,500 with the Motorcraft semi without any issues. I used to drive the Crown Vic more aggressively but now it just sees Mon-Fri 90% freeway work commutes which aren't overly hard miles, so I figured I could stretch another 1,500 miles out of semi-dino oil. Just trying to save a couple bucks when I do the oil changes, money's kinda tight. Any thoughts? Figured if I do try it I would do a UOA afterwards to see if it's okay or am I taking a gamble.

Check the cost of Mobil 1 and Motorcraft oil in your area. The cost per mile with the OCI you have given may make the cost of Mobil 1 less.

If you can find a local Goodyear store (a lot use Kendall) they usually have Kendall semi synthetic pretty cheap. I work at one and we sell it for $2.99 a quart. Kendall/motor craft is a good cheaper oil

This should be no problem IMO. The newer Fords (2010 Fusions and so on) recommend 5,000 mile oil change interval under "severe duty" and 7500 mile OCI under normal duty. This recommendation is NOT based on using Motorcraft synblend. They only list the Ford spec (the WSS-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH), which pretty much every major brand conventional motor oil meeds as listed in the product sheet or on the back of the bottle. With 90% highway miles, I wouldn't mind 7500 OCI with Motorcraft syn-blend. But then, if you want to save a few bucks, you might as well research using Mobil's Super 5000 oil. There were many good UOAs for this oil. It's the cheapest major brand motor oil at Walmart, priced under $13 for 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
Around here, Motorcraft retails for $18.28. Mobil 1 has been reduced to $22.

So if we were to equate the cost-per-mile of using either oil:

Motorcraft: $18.28 / 6,500 miles = $.00281 per mile

Mobil 1: $22 / 9,000 miles = $.00244 per mile

So you are actually saving more money doing your previous M1 OCI versus a shorter Motorcraft OCI.

That being said, Motorcraft can certainly do 6,500 miles. New Ford vehicles are having their OCIs increased from 5,000 to 7,500 using Motorcraft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
This should be no problem IMO. The newer Fords (2010 Fusions and so on) recommend 5,000 mile oil change interval under "severe duty" and 7500 mile OCI under normal duty. This recommendation is NOT based on using Motorcraft synblend. They only list the Ford spec (the WSS-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH), which pretty much every major brand conventional motor oil meeds as listed in the product sheet or on the back of the bottle. With 90% highway miles, I wouldn't mind 7500 OCI with Motorcraft syn-blend. But then, if you want to save a few bucks, you might as well research using Mobil's Super 5000 oil. There were many good UOAs for this oil. It's the cheapest major brand motor oil at Walmart, priced under $13 for 5 quart jug.

I use the Mobil 5000 in my wife's Xterra, it seems to run real good with it and doesn't even go through half a quart in almost 4,500 miles. I got a few more thousand miles before the Vic needs an oil change. I think ill go to Mobil 5000 I hear nothing but good things about this oil. Also keep in mind this is an ex-cop car so this is the easiest this car has ever been driven. I did pull a valve cover and the internals are very clean
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back