Mixing castor oil with Stihl Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Ultra in chainsaws is it possible to mix a small amount of castor just for some added high-RPM, high-heat protection? I know Ultra is good stuff but I like to have some castor when running high-RPM ported saws.

Do I need to run a 20% mix or would a 5-10% mix suffice? Thinking of this other than using 927 or R50.

Would I need to use ethanol-free fuel?

Castor oil is great in 2 strokes applications but it sure leave a big mess on the exhaust side
smile.gif

I would say that the Stihl Ultra is fine as it is. If you don't "trust" it, I'd just switch to a different oil all together.

Castor oil would yield that essence of old road course scent.
I'd use it just for that.
WRT the engine, not needed, not recommended and probably counterproductive.
Unless you can't live without the scent, don't use it as an add.

Castor bean oil is great for racing 2 cyc engines but, gums up bady if not flushed after each use. I would not use it for this applcation. Ed

Having used R/C engines for most of my life, I can attest to it's mess. I guess what I'm after is the lightest film of castor for higher RPM applications...14-15K just for the fact it's there...definitely not in 20% quantities.

Going after protection mainly so if 5% isn't even worth trying then I will leave it alone. Would this small amount get "flushed" by the normal cycling or lubricating of the Ultra or would this require further cleaning?

If the end result is less throttle response, less power, less RPM then I won't use it.

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Using Ultra in chainsaws is it possible to mix a small amount of castor just for some added high-RPM, high-heat protection? I know Ultra is good stuff but I like to have some castor when running high-RPM ported saws.

Do I need to run a 20% mix or would a 5-10% mix suffice? Thinking of this other than using 927 or R50.

Ethanol free fuel is recommended.

How many saws and how much use?

I run 2 Husqvarna's and a Stihl on Tru-Fuel but I also do not run them every day or for a living. For me the Tru-Fuel is great.

Some of the new castor bean oils lubes are "degummed". Used them in my race bikes and the pistons etc are spotless and no deposits like the old Castor R racing bean oils. Blendzall is one that is degummed and runs clean. I have ran Blendzall in my various 2-stroke OPE with great results at 40-1 ratio and the protection is top notch. I would run this straight with no mixing with other oils..

Using 3 Husky saws, Stihl KM110 4-mix power head, BR600 blower. Mix is 50:1 and the 372 is a ported saw, sees 14-15K RPM easily.

What about the Maxima 927? I haven't seen the Blendzall but will check it out.

Ethanol free is avail but is 50 miles away, if I get to that area I try to bring some gas cans but not often enough. Reason is I believe you cannot have ethanol free fuel stations within 50 miles of Wash D.C.

I like Blendzall a lot also, and am currently running it in a Honda Spree, a 50cc scooter. Maxima 927 is de gummed also, and runs clean. All of my 2 stroke OPE gets 3 ounces of MX2T and 1 ounce of Castrol A747

unless you can get a hold of some degummed castor oil formulated for 2T use, otherwise: I'd stay out of trouble and use semi-syn or full-syn biodegradable high performance 2T oil.

I'm using Castrol Activo 2T oil on my hard-working HF 2-cycle gennie...it has over 150hrs so far running approx 45:1 ratio.

Q.

p.s. playing with conventional castor oil as 2T will gum up badly...as per my R/C days.

I would stay away from castor for that application. Any high end ester synthetic is going to give you excellent protection and performance. Motul 800 2T, Bel-Ray H1R, or Maxima K2 are all excellent. I run all my two-strokes on Motul 800 2T at 32:1 mixed with VP racing T4 fuel. I love VP's SEF, and they use a Motul product in that, but I haven't been able to find out which Motul oil specifically from either company. Regardless, it gets expensive and cumbersome to buy quarts of fuel, so buying a 5 gallon of VP T4 (96 octane and no ethanol) is my preferred method. I run this mix in 250R quad, my 395XP, and Jonsered 2172 saws, and even some vintage Mac saws. I have never seen any downside to 32:1, and alot more oil is present in the crank area which makes me feel good about the protection. The piston crown only ever has a slight film that is never hard. My dad runs the same fuel mixed 50:1 with Stihl Ultra, and the residual film is not as convincing upon teardown on his as with the 32:1 mix. My saws smoke no more than his and they run great.

I work for a tree service. We rxcusivly use stihle equipment and stihl utra oil only. We have a 192 that on its fifth season, 201 on its forth season. Both scream six to eight hours daily. First pull runners,that alone should prove stihl utra derived from beef fat is a great oil.
ken

Originally Posted By: i6pwr

you don't have to use ethanol free gas. stihl oil comes in small bottles where you just make a gallon. i wouldn't let it sit in the saw for more than a month or so. i use either truefuel or ethanol free premium mixed with stihl oil. if I was to do a bunch of work, i'd use the junk gas and use good stuff for the last tank.

For what its worth Dirt Bike magazine did a 2-stroke oil shootout and the Castor based oils had the least amount of piston/ring wear and made the most horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back