Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a section of an interstate near me (MD 32) where the shoulder is a designated bike path for about 2.2 miles. There is no barrier there or anything, the shoulder is painted with markings indicating that it is also a bike route, and signage directs cyclists to use it. The interstate route is pretty flat too. The alternate would be going through a hilly area, 3 miles longer, with no shoulders (but back roads), and if it's still there, the route passes smelly trash transfer station on a hot day.

Would you take the bike route on the interstate or take the back roads here?

If it matters, I did once already bike on a new highway right before it opened (MD 100). So the whole getting it off of my list of things to do once isn't an issue here. MD 32 will have some cars on it (but not many). As many times as I have driven past this place I have only seen someone on a bicycle once there.

Md 32 is not an interstate. Bikes aren't allowed on interstates.

I've rode many of miles along us highways with fast traffic and dedicated sides, but it's never comfortable.

But no road is really safe for biking given cellphone, text, and other distractions.

I was going to say "absolutely not", because all interstates around here specifically prohibit pedestrians, cyclists and horses.

But if there's a designated bike lane and the traffic is light... I don't see why not. People ride bikes on 55mph country roads all the time.

Actually, bicycles are allowed on I-25 in southern Colorado between Trinidad and Pueblo. There's hardly any vehicles on that stretch and is really flat and you can see for a long way. However, I've never seen a bicycle on there as there's hardly anything out there.

I'd take the highway with a designated bike lane over back roads with no shoulder any day.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
There is a section of an interstate near me (MD 32) where the shoulder is a designated bike path for about 2.2 miles. There is no barrier there or anything, the shoulder is painted with markings indicating that it is also a bike route, and signage directs cyclists to use it.

If it has a designated bike lane, then I would. As others mentioned, MD32 is not an interstate. It's a state highway.

I used to take long training rides on Route 78 LONG BEFORE the federal highway dept. banned bicycles on interstates (very early '70s).
It generally had very wide shoulders, albeit full of trash, broken beer bottles, and 'road gators', but the only REAL problem was the yahoos playing Darrell Waltrip getting off the exit ramps.
mad.gif

I once rode from my town (Union, N.J.) all the way out to Phillipsburg, N.J. (and back), and even tried crossing the bridge into Easton, but they would not let me through the tolls.
frown.gif

I fly back to Ft Meade pretty often so I'm familiar with that stretch of highway. I would rather take 32 than the side roads with no shoulders. That new stretch has pretty roomy shoulders so I would chance it...dressed in hunter orange...with flashing lights. Now if you were thinking of biking one of the "95" highways, then I would say you were definitely out of your mind.

People tend to speed on the side roads a bit too fast for visibility/conditions. That is everywhere.

I have to say that the most spectacular car accidents I have ever seen have been on I-295.

You generally can't have traffic lights, railroad grade crossings (or lanes) or bicycles on interstate highways.

Maybe this lane is an engineering trial that's technically seperate or something.

Sometimes the larger bridges that carry interstates have jersey barriers and a bike/ped lane.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The alternate would be going through a hilly area, 3 miles longer, with no shoulders (but back roads),

The chance of being seen is probably better on the flat. Cars / trucks cresting hills with no berm is is a disaster waiting to happen either for you or a head on colision to avoid hitting you.

I've biked on the shoulder of the highway on I-25 in the more rural parts of New Mexico. There weren't any signs prohibiting it, like in the more developed parts of the state. Maybe because there's no way except the highway to get between some of these towns?

That said, it really wasn't bad at all. Semi drivers were very nice and would often switch to the left lane (still a little scary). In some ways it felt safer than the back / frontage roads... rednecks honking / playing chicken with you, dogs rushing out, people tearing around turns...

Both choices seem rather poor in my opinion. I value my life enough to stay off of roads shared with cars. I used to be an avid bicyclist (up to 40-60 miles a day). I had far too many close calls and rude motorists to contend with. I only ride on designated bike paths anymore....no cars allowed.
Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Both choices seem rather poor in my opinion. I value my life enough to stay off of roads shared with cars. I used to be an avid bicyclist (up to 40-60 miles a day). I had far too many close calls and rude motorists to contend with. I only ride on designated bike paths anymore....no cars allowed.
Just my opinion.

Yes, this is the safest option for a recreational rider, but a serious, competitive cyclist in full training mode MUST use public roads in order to be challenged by the varying terrain/wind conditions, and to be able to crank up the speed WELL ABOVE what would be acceptable (or safe) on a shared, designated path, during sprint and interval training (let alone organized/purposeful motor pace training).

You might know this yourself if you were a former racing cyclist (were you?).
wink.gif

Of course I know that a competitive cyclist has little choice IF they want to be in the proper condition. Where did I say that I was a former racing cyclist? I think in my whole life I raced maybe....twice? I cycled for fun. Regardless what purpose one has in mind....riding on a roadway shared with motor vehicles is dangerous as heck and not worth it for me. My life is more important than a race or any competition. Once you are dead....it's all over. For me, I don't want my eulogy to be something like..."At least he died doing what he loved". If it's all the same, I'd rather forget cycling on the road and opt for a safer outlet for my competitive spirit. Why the attitude in your post anyway? I was just expressing my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back