Scangauge II or UltraGauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can find the UG for the $70-$80 range. SG2 in the $115-$125 range.

Which was to go? Mostly interested in being able to see/clear codes and look to see if my vehicle is adjusting timing on regular fuel. MPG benefits possible when I no longer have my current commute, as rush hour destroys MPG.

Both seem to have good reviews. Any reason to spend the extra $40-$50 for the SG2 over the UG?

UG has so many options, but IMO is a pain to set up. SGII seems to just show what you have, and at least when I bought mine, they custom added gauges for the vehicle prior to shipment.

I've had my Scan Gauge II for about 2 years now. It has been great. Very easy to set up and use. The display is also easy to read while driving. The code scanning feature is well worth it, and it has many gauge options. It can also log fuel mileage for different trips, but I have yet to use that. Overall, I highly recommend it.
thumbsup2.gif

I have a SG-II on both my Grand Marquis and the Envoy. I haven't tried to UG, but I'm very happy with the SG. The X-Gauges are a pretty neat feature.

Either way, you're still one step ahead of the game if you get either. I never knew my transmission fluid was heating up on the Envoy until I got the SG on.

Ultragauge...

Displays 4, 6, or 8 items on the screen, mine is six, 2 large and 4 small.

Any 96 or higher (OBD2) can run it, the later cars have more sensors.

They sell a "bare" kit, just the gauge, or add a mounting kit...

With engines running hotter and working harder, along with a lot of "economy" car having just idiot lights, this is invaluable.
Alarms can be set when a value is exceeded...

The only thing that either of these can't tell you is your oil pressure, because there is just a pressure switch, on or off...

I have engine temp and tach as my "big" 2, then distance to empty, voltage, engine load, and average MPG...

I don't think I would go wrong with either.

Just trying to decide if the older (looking and actual product) option is worth the premium, or if the new one is not as good of value.

I know UG is a USA company, but the product itself is assembled in China. Any one know about the SG2?

I have an Ultra Gauge in both the pickup and my Elantra. I originally had a ScanGauge II, but after about 2 years the display faded and died-that's when I purchased the UltraGauges and haven't had any problems with them.

I found the UltraGauge very simple to set up, and it gives me all the information that I want or need.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Ultragauge...

Displays 4, 6, or 8 items on the screen, mine is six, 2 large and 4 small.

Any 96 or higher (OBD2) can run it, the later cars have more sensors.

Yeah that is a blessing (o much data to show on one page), and a curse (you have to sit there, car running after determining which gauges are available and lay them all out). Call me lazy but Im not keen on spending a ton of time allocating gauges to slots on the display, amongst many pages. But the power of the UG is really great because it has all that stuff.

Ive found the SG to integrate cleaner into my vehicles and the colors of the display match better for more consistency. Mine have been in for years and never faded, degraded or gone bad.

Can you add more gauges to the UG? I recall them not being programmable.

My SG is going good after at least six years, but I did have to fix the backlight. Solder joints failed. Once touched though its been fine. I don't think it's accurate enough to track mpg, as the calibration wandered in response to how hard I drove my vw. But the ability to read codes and boost has been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back