by friendly_jacek
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
F1 - 2014 United States Grand Prix
by gofast182
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Humor: Walmart Product Review
by Apollo14
Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Mobil Delvac 5w-40 OK for 2009 Audi Q7 TDI?
by teedoff00
Yesterday at 10:02 PM
Honda S2000 Pennzoil Ultra 5,000 miles
by Bror Jace
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Time for hot vs cold old to drain into pan
by Apollo14
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
Noco Genius Boost - my video test - battery @ 9.9v
by 901Memphis
Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Bought my first firearm today
by Nick R
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Built a few AR-15 A3's this weekend...
by 2010_FX4
Yesterday at 08:57 PM
New Briggs oiling schedule
by Tom_T
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
Thinking about a new 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta
by Burt
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
Newest Members
after5hock, Rxman01, 1969monark, flstang65, PhxAZ
51699 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (Apollo14, aquariuscsm, 67lemans, bdcardinal, 13Tacoma, 4 invisible), 590 Guests and 188 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51699 Members
64 Forums
221215 Topics
3497601 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3350680 - 04/22/14 11:14 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: zzyzzx]
UncleLee Offline

Loc: texas
You don't drive your car on the rail road tracks..so why would you ride a bicycle in the road. The tax payers in my area have paid for over 100 miles of bicycle trails, and people still ride on the road. absolute nuisance if you ask me. Not to mention very unsafe. Not only for the cyclist but for on coming traffic as fustrated drivers move into the on coming lane to get around them.

#3350689 - 04/22/14 11:44 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: UncleLee]
andrewg Offline

Loc: Covington, Wa.
Originally Posted By: UncleLee
You don't drive your car on the rail road tracks..so why would you ride a bicycle in the road. The tax payers in my area have paid for over 100 miles of bicycle trails, and people still ride on the road. absolute nuisance if you ask me. Not to mention very unsafe. Not only for the cyclist but for on coming traffic as fustrated drivers move into the on coming lane to get around them.

Contact your legislators....organize....and change the law. Until then, they are legally abiding by the law and as a result, you must share the road with them.

#3350862 - 04/23/14 08:00 AM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: zzyzzx]
Cujet Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
I've bicycled on divided highways, with dedicated bike lanes, that were just like, but not in fact, interstates. During heavy traffic, when cars/trucks go by at 75-80 MPH, the draft is amazing and cyclist speeds pick up nicely.

I did not find it scary or otherwise dangerous. The car-to-cyclist distance is increased in such configurations and I'd say it's far safer than a busy 2 lane without a dedicated bike lane.

#3351157 - 04/23/14 02:23 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: UncleLee]
eljefino Offline

Loc: ME

Actually, stuff like pedestrians, horses, farm equipment, and bicyclists, have an absolute right to the roads, while motor vehicles have a privilege. This is why the latter have to yield to the former.

A motorist has to turn a steering wheel and change speed via controls. Boo hoo. A cyclist has to exercise. And he's saving the rest of us some petroleum to use later.

#3351556 - 04/23/14 10:38 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: UncleLee]
javacontour Offline

Loc: Illinois
Perhaps, but there are far more automotive annoyances on the road than bicyclists.

If your biggest problem on the roads is bicycles, I may want to move where you live. Because around here, 1000:1 it's the cars that cause me the most headaches regardless if I'm in my car or on a bike.

I suspect it's not the vehicle they choose, but the fact that a certain percentage of folks are knuckleheads.

It's just sheer numbers. There are far more motorists than bicyclists. Neither is better than the other at following the rules and laws.

#3352073 - 04/24/14 03:52 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: UncleLee]
JOD Offline

Loc: PNW/WA

Your thoughts seem pretty common in Texas, one of many reasons I'll never go there...

I have news for you, most cyclists pay a lot in taxes as well (I know I certainly do), and roads are for cyclists as well as drivers. Of course, I realize that you're more important, so the cyclists are just a nuisance to you...

Most multi-use paths are not suitable for bikes traveling at a reasonable rate of speed, which is why I avoid them unless there are no other options.

#3354768 - 04/27/14 03:47 PM Re: Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder) [Re: eljefino]
dailydriver Offline

Loc: Bucks County, Pa.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You don't drive your car on the rail road tracks..so why would you ride a bicycle in the road. The tax payers in my area have paid for over 100 miles of bicycle trails, and people still ride on the road. absolute nuisance if you ask me. Not to mention very unsafe. Not only for the cyclist but for on coming traffic as frustrated drivers move into the on coming lane to get around them.

Actually, stuff like pedestrians, horses, farm equipment, and bicyclists, have an absolute right to the roads, while motor vehicles have a privilege. This is why the latter have to yield to the former.

A motorist has to turn a steering wheel and change speed via controls. Boo hoo. A cyclist has to exercise. And he's saving the rest of us some petroleum to use later.

THANK YOU!! thumbsup

The WORST driving offenders in this area are the pickup driving, hard core rednecks who would shoot to kill IF they could get away with it, and the snooty, uppity, yuppiedrones on their phones, in their big buck luxomobiles who think they OWN the road, and feel you are just in their way and costing them their precious, 'N.Y. minute' time. mad
Synpower 75W-140/4oz. XL-3
Red Line D4 in the T56

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3