Floor jack vs scissor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could stand to get a new floor jack; I don't think it will lift my truck (too little lift, that or I need to put it on a large block of wood or something). For a long time I've kept a small bottle jack in the Jetta for the utility trailer, just in case.

Anyhow, while at Walmart this morning I saw a scissors jack with a large base to it. Now I'm wondering if I'd rather have that than a floor jack? Whenever I lift up a corner on my cars the floor jack rolls; and since it's on a chunk of plywood it doesn't roll nicely. [Dirt driveway.] Floor jacks are faster, but scissors would go up straight...?

I have to admit, I haven't dug out the truck's jack just yet, to see what it looks like, but I tend to do tire rotations at home, so having two jacks would be rather handy. [To use the free rotation requires me to wait about an hour in the shop--free but costly in time.]

I think the floor jack rolls for two reasons: first, the lifting pad moves in an arc, so the wheels have to roll in response. Second, the part of the car being lifted moves ever so slightly because it too moves in an arc.

The first is the nature of a floor jack. The next would affect the scissor jack as well. Every time I have used a scissor jack to change a tire, it has tilted slightly when raised. I don't trust them for anything but an emergency...

I like floor jacks for their speed.
The jack does have to be free to roll as the car is being lifted. When I can't use a concrete surface, I use 1/8" steel plate under the jack's front wheels to assure that they are free to roll.

Hmm, never thought about finding a chunk of steel, maybe I'll look into that.

The OEM jack for my 6800 lb Chevy Van is a scissors jack. I have only used it to change flat tires, but it works okay. It might be your ticket in your situation. I would always use a jackstand with it, if you're going under it.

I use ramps for changing oil and floor jacks for jacking at home, but I have a concrete drveway and garage.

A tilted scissor jack can collapse quickly. It's only strong when going straight up. Hydraulic floor jacks can leak down. Either jack would be ok for tire changing, but when actually working underneath always use stands.

Yes, I use stands when under cars. I like using them even when not, assuming I can find a spot for both stand and jack.

Could take a scissors jack and bolt it to something solid, so it wouldn't tilt. But then that'd be no better than a floor jack on a similar plate.

Jacks are for lifting: I always get a concrete block, wood 6x8, stands, etc. under ASAP!

Cheers!

p.s. There is a reason for the tilt: think about it...

No, I don't get the reason for the tilt...? If you chock the tires properly, car should not roll. The corner will go through a bit of an arc, though. I guess you can have an arc towards the opposite corner, that may have the appearance of a tilt towards the opposite end of the car.

Wish I could find a second jack point on my Camry. The factory lift point on the car is only good for scissor jack. I used a suspension mounting point for the floor jack, but that left me with no place for the jack stand. Thankfully all I needed to touch was the calipers.

Now I just need a better floor jack.

As you raise the side of the car, due to the way arcs work, you shorten the distance to the other side of the car. So as you raise the car, the jack will need to move in that direction.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Jacks are for lifting: I always get a concrete block, wood 6x8, stands, etc. under ASAP!

Cheers!

p.s. There is a reason for the tilt: think about it...

Don't trust concrete blocks, they have broke and killed people!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
As you raise the side of the car, due to the way arcs work, you shorten the distance to the other side of the car. So as you raise the car, the jack will need to move in that direction.

the arc of the suspension components will also shift the car in the horizontal plane as it raises/lowers.

What about bottle jacks? Turns out my truck has a bottle jack, and other than the slow movement it did the job and with no rolling. More wobbly than a jack but jack stands are cheap.

Did some more looking to answer my question. Looks like floor jack is generally better, but a decent bottle can work. I might have to pick one or two up, my cheapo floor jack weighs a ton and is a pain. Bottles a re cheap enough to try out, and I need more jack stands anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think the floor jack rolls for two reasons: first, the lifting pad moves in an arc, so the wheels have to roll in response. Second, the part of the car being lifted moves ever so slightly because it too moves in an arc.

The first is the nature of a floor jack. The next would affect the scissor jack as well. Every time I have used a scissor jack to change a tire, it has tilted slightly when raised. I don't trust them for anything but an emergency...

Yeah this. If the base doesn't slide the top of the scissor jack will fold over the pinch weld on your rocker panel. Something's gotta give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back