QuikTrip E087 Pumps SHowing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up for those interested. We have a new QT in the KC area in Olathe (119th st west of I-35) that has RED pumps. These pumps are only for non-ethanol 87 octane gasoline. They are labeled as E087. They are on the same islands as the regular pumps but you can only pump one grade through these red hoses.

Not sure if this is a trial run or if they will be rolling them out all across the metro, but keep an eye out for them and use them if you want to avoid ethanol.

Last edited:
Won't happen on the Missouri side, as Missouri has a law that 87 octane passenger vehicle fuel must contain at least 10% ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Won't happen on the Missouri side, as Missouri has a law that 87 octane passenger vehicle fuel must contain at least 10% ethanol.

I have a QT up the street from me and being a top tier fuel that's the only gas I use unless traveling. Like Missouri I think Arizona mandates the 10% ethanol. We're a red state and I'm guessing the state politicians are not happy about the mandate, but they have no choice as the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas have a very difficult time staying within EPA pollution guidelines and this is one of the easier and cheaper things they can do to satisfy the feds.

Originally Posted By: azjake

I have a QT up the street from me and being a top tier fuel that's the only gas I use unless traveling. Like Missouri I think Arizona mandates the 10% ethanol. We're a red state and I'm guessing the state politicians are not happy about the mandate, but they have no choice as the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas have a very difficult time staying within EPA pollution guidelines and this is one of the easier and cheaper things they can do to satisfy the feds.

It's not a year round mandate I hope QT introduces this in AZ but since we have to have E10 part of the year it probably doesn't make financial sense. Right now we shouldn't have any Ethanol in our gas.

"State law mandates that fuel sold in the Tucson area contain a 5.1 percent blend of ethanol, by volume, between Oct 1 and March 31, while Phoenix-area fuel must include a 10 percent blend of ethanol, by volume, between Nov. 1 and March 31."

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Just a heads up for those interested. We have a new QT in the KC area in Olathe (119th st west of I-35) that has RED pumps. These pumps are only for non-ethanol 87 octane gasoline. They are labeled as E087. They are on the same islands as the regular pumps but you can only pump one grade through these red hoses.

Not sure if this is a trial run or if they will be rolling them out all across the metro, but keep an eye out for them and use them if you want to avoid ethanol.

What are they using as the oxidizer? Ethanol is an oxidizer that replaced MTBE.

I could see the non ethanol being cheaper. And an oxidizer may only be needed in the winter in the northern states.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: badtlc

What are they using as the oxidizer? Ethanol is an oxidizer that replaced MTBE.

I could see the non ethanol being cheaper. And an oxidizer may only be needed in the winter in the northern states.

"Higher quality gasoline is also an alternative, i.e., so that additives such as MTBE are unnecessary."
-Wikipedia

That isn't true. Missouri law allows E0 to be sold depending on prices.

On pure-gas.org there are no stations listed selling 87 octane gas in MO except the Mexico, MO airport. 91 octane and above are all that are listed. That is easy to find. Every Hy-Vee gas station has that. I work for Hy-Vee and my fuel station maanger says it is the law for passenger vehicle fuel, unless there has been a recent change.

From a Missouri website, Yes there is a tiny loophole but I doubt if it ever is used, as the corn lobby will make sure this does not happen. Because they control the ethanol price.

Ethanol Blend Mandate
All gasoline offered for sale at retail stations within the state must contain 10% ethanol (E10). This requirement is waived only if a distributor is unable to purchase ethanol or ethanol-blended gasoline at the same or lower price as unblended gasoline. Premium gasoline is exempt from this requirement. Ethanol is defined as fuel that is derived from an agricultural source and that meets ASTM specification D4806. (Reference Missouri Revised Statutes 414.255)

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO

http://www.fuel-testers.com/missouri_ethanol_news_e10.html

Yeah, I have noticed that a couple of QT's here have started to carry it. It is priced at the same price as the mid-grade 89 octane, which is 12 cents more than the 87 octane regular ethanol fuel. I just started using it about a month ago in my Caravan and I have noticed a bump in MPG. Usually in the summer with the AC blasting and mainly city driving, we average in the high 16's. I have been averaging in the very low 18's with this ethanol fuel and so have been excited.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Yeah, I have noticed that a couple of QT's here have started to carry it. It is priced at the same price as the mid-grade 89 octane, which is 12 cents more than the 87 octane regular ethanol fuel. I just started using it about a month ago in my Caravan and I have noticed a bump in MPG. Usually in the summer with the AC blasting and mainly city driving, we average in the high 16's. I have been averaging in the very low 18's with this ethanol fuel and so have been excited.

8-10% better mileage, and the fuel is 3.5% more expensive (based on $3.30 a gallon) is a pretty good deal. Plus no fuel for food, and less wasted water. Sounds good to me.

That's interesting because Ethanol has a lower heat value so by calculation a 10% mix should lower your mileage by 4.3% and 15% would lower your mileage by 6.45%. Your van must be very exceptional :))

Originally Posted By: Eddie
That's interesting because Ethanol has a lower heat value so by calculation a 10% mix should lower your mileage by 4.3% and 15% would lower your mileage by 6.45%. Your van must be very exceptional :))

I also added TCW3. It doesn't seem to have improved the mileage in my Lexus but apparently has helped with the van. To be honest, I stopped measuring (unlike the Lexis) the mileage on the van a long time ago since it is the wife that mainly drives it. The calculations were based on the computer mileage reading of the van. It tends to overestimate the MPG but has typically shown high 16's in the summer and in the last two tankfuls it has shown very low 18's. Perhaps the van was in need of some extra UCL?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back