New Holland TC40DA OCI is only 100hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

I work for a municipality that is going through some financial strains at the moment. Most of our equipment are Kubotas, but we have a moderately high use 2005 New Holland TC40DA. The OCI is every 100hrs, while our Kubotas and John Deere are either 200-250hrs. Trying to stick with the manufacturers service intervals makes my boss feel that I am changing it too often on the New Holland. Does anyone know why New Holland has half the maintenance intervals of Kubota or John Deere? All the engines in question are made in Japan. I like my job, but once or twice now I have bought out of my own pocket (and not told anyone so as to not set a precedent) to do normal oil changes when they were over by 70hrs plus even though nobody seemed to care at work that they were due in the first place. Money is tight for me too, but I'm trying to do right.

just do a uoa on it. With good oil it may do 200-250 easy. you could save your money, your job and have a happy boss.

Yes I have. He is very busy with other projects going on and just quickly says "don't worry about it". Considering I use it most of the time, if something where to happen, it seems it would be my responsibility.
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Have you shown your boss the service manual stating an 100 hour OCI?

We use Napa 5 gal. diesel oil and Napa filters for all our equipment. Considering all the engines get very black oil after the 100hr mark, I was just curious was the others had double the recommended usage. We were supposed to replace tractors every 5 years but that never happened. This tractor is used for snow removal in winter and sees alot if idling keeping the cab warm during breaks/lunch. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
just do a uoa on it. With good oil it may do 200-250 easy. you could save your money, your job and have a happy boss.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it breaks down its not coming out of your pocket. In all likelihood its probably safe to extend the change anyway as 100 hours seems very conservative.

I understand how sometimes it feels like the equipment we use every day is "ours" but really its not your problem in this case. I surely wouldn't be paying out of my own pocket to do someone else oil changes, but if you can afford it , then keep changing at 100 hours.

Thanks for understanding the "ours" point of view. This is a great way in which to get knowledgeable advice from others. I can't really afford to do it, but just not having to worry about it for another 100-150hrs made it worthwhile for me then. I try to balance it out with a few "unscheduled" breaks in order to try and recoup some of my expenses.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't worry about it. If it breaks down its not coming out of your pocket. In all likelihood its probably safe to extend the change anyway as 100 hours seems very conservative.

I understand how sometimes it feels like the equipment we use every day is "ours" but really its not your problem in this case. I surely wouldn't be paying out of my own pocket to do someone else oil changes, but if you can afford it , then keep changing at 100 hours.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
Thanks for understanding the "ours" point of view. This is a great way in which to get knowledgeable advice from others. I can't really afford to do it, but just not having to worry about it for another 100-150hrs made it worthwhile for me then. I try to balance it out with a few "unscheduled" breaks in order to try and recoup some of my expenses.

I think you might actually get in more trouble for taking unscheduled breaks, than following your boss's recommendation of the OCI. It sounds like you use good oil and filters, so 200 hours shouldn't be a problem. New Hollands are good machines. If something does break down (I doubt it will) all you can say is that you followed his recommendations. Taking unscheduled breaks, or servicing equipment off the books might make you look like you are up to no good.

I had an engine failure with a 2012 New Holland T4030 last winter. The hydro pump seal failed, pumping all of the hyrdo fluid forward of the pump into the back of the engine block.

Did they put a relief in the bell housing so maybe you'd see fluid on the ground? Nope.

All the fluid was pushed past the rear main seal of the engine and into the crankcase, causing engine failure with the extra 1.5 gal of fluid that wasn't supposed to be there. It's worth noting that we use ONLY oem filters and fluids at OEM intervals, 400 hours, by the way for 2012.

Of course they tried to deny the warranty claim and only bought another engine when we threatened to take our $250,000/year purchases somewhere else.

Sorry, had to rant!

Anyway, the moral of the story is STICK WITH THE OEM RECOMMENDATION! New Hollands are sort of good machines, but the money you save in deferred maintenance will seem stupidly small when something bad happens. Especially in a warranty situation!

2004 Kubota rtv-900camo. oem oil change is 100hrs, filter every 200hrs. I have done 100hr oil and filter oci's.
i could go longer but don't. i had a transmission defect early into warrenty. if i didn't do proper oem intervals it would of cost me thousands out of pocket.

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back