Stihl MS170 Chain Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had another tree fall in the back yard.

Have borrowed consumer grade chain saws before.

Don't like to borrow stuff like this.

So I went and picked up a Stihl MS170. This is the cheapest - smallest saw they make and is actually cheaper than some of the competition. Labeled made in USA.

I'm pretty impressed for such a small light saw it made quick work of 8-10 inch pine tree, once again right tool for the job is really nice!

This also helped me make up my mind.

Anything Stihl or Echo is the way to go,
You pay a few dollars more but it is well worth it
I learned the hard way and wasted alot of money with the Craftsman garbage ( you get what you paid for )

I guess you can compare certain things out of the box. Starting, idle etc, yeah. Testing cutting speed is iffy due to chain differences. I went from the friendly anti kickback chain on my Echo to the more aggressive one and it was night and day difference as far as cutting speed was concerned. It is nice buying from a dealer though. I lucked out and had one 15 minutes from the house and they were/are a pleasure to deal with.

Out of the box, they all cut. Fast forward a few years and a few hours of use and see how its working out then.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Probably the best value out there right now in chain saws is the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV.

Good read here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm

Low end Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo's are still low end home owner saws.

When not used much and stored properly they should do well.

Perhaps they've made some improvements, but I owned the predecessor PP 4620 and found it to be the worst piece of OPE that I've ever used. I paid $199 for it in 2010.

It was throwing chains right out of the box and couldn't be tightened enough to keep them on. The local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer that does repair work on OPE couldn't find anything wrong with it.

While trying to (over)tighten the chain just to keep one on long enough to clean up a fallen tree, a small brass bit in the tensioning setup broke. That wasn't available as a replacement part, so I ordered the whole housing it came in... which arrived without the broken part. I called their customer service and was told that they couldn't find the part I was describing on their parts list, so that was a dead end. I had probably 3 hours of total use on it by this time, and was on my fourth chain.

Thankfully Lowes took it back and I upgraded to the Husqvarna 455 Rancher. It's twice the price, but definitely worth it. It's only Husqvarna or Stihl for me from now on.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Probably the best value out there right now in chain saws is the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV.

Good read here:

Perhaps they've made some improvements, but I owned the predecessor PP 4620 and found it to be the worst piece of OPE that I've ever used. I paid $199 for it in 2010.

You know what a Husqvarna logo looks like on a Poulan Pro 5020AV?
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/236686.htm#post4334987

pp5020av330060cc002_zpsb1ed998f.jpg

Good read here:

You know what a Husqvarna logo looks like on a Poulan Pro 5020AV?
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/236686.htm#post4334987

pp5020av330060cc002_zpsb1ed998f.jpg

Yes, I suppose I do know what it looks like.

With any luck, there will be more Husqvarna parts in the newer Poulan, but I think my story has some validity as a concern. It wasn't the plastic case that I had issues with anyhow. It was the more complicated mechanical bits. I think a bit of buyer beware is required here. You might get a decent amout of Husqvarna parts, but at half the price, so they're going to go cheap on something.

But hey, it couldn't be any worse than the 4620, so there's only room for improvement.

LOL, gotta love BITOG.

3 post to go WOT...

Curious what a Husky emblem on orange plastic is supposed to prove about a yellow saw but hey whatever...

My experience with Poulan = not good.

I'm sure the Stihl will do more than fine for my use, it has plenty of power for cutting fallen stuff and it is light and well balanced.

Cool! It's always nice to have the tools necessary for the task even though you may not have to use it much.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Had another tree fall in the back yard.

Have borrowed consumer grade chain saws before.

Don't like to borrow stuff like this.

So I went and picked up a Stihl MS170. This is the cheapest - smallest saw they make and is actually cheaper than some of the competition. Labeled made in USA.

I'm pretty impressed for such a small light saw it made quick work of 8-10 inch pine tree, once again right tool for the job is really nice!

I too have an MS170 and its a great saw. We sell all stihl equipment at work. Stihl pretty much sells itself, by far the best OPE deere has ever sold, imo

I work on the smaller saws that hitch to the belt of climbers and some medium saws for three decent sized tree removal/trimming companies. I won't work on the big horses because I'm getting to old and weak to yank on them. All three of these outfits have 10 or more Echo saws (large and small) that they wish they could get their money back out of. Also an assortment of Husqvarna saws that lay around collecting (tree) dust. I see their Stihl saws about twice a year (and don't charge nearly enough) for routine carb cleanings and the occasional oil pump replacement. They all feel Stihl is the absolute best (even with the Chinese carburetors and other parts). That's why I bought my Farm Boss three years ago. Started on third pull the other day with stale (1 1/2 year old gas) and ran like it was new.

BTW, the other saws in the video might have cut much faster with Stihl brand (custom made) chains. Our local dealer will make a chain for anything using Stihl stock.

I bought a Stihl MS250 a couple of years ago. Maybe a little large for average homeowner use, but I didn't want some wimbly saw that was undersized and would break the 3rd time I used it.

Didn't use the 250 but a few times and it sat in my garage for the better part of a year until I needed it again recently. Wouldn't start. Finally replaced the spark plug and it fired right up. Original plug had all of an hour's running time. Oh well...at least it was an easy and cheap fix.

Just took down a peach tree with a stihl 280 the other day, boy it really flew through that soft wood! Wouldn't of had to clear it for another year or two, as it was getting old, but my stinker of a dog just "discovered" the golf ball sized peachlings growing on it and eats them when we aren't watching. I think that can poison him eventually so it had to go.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Just took down a peach tree with a stihl 280 the other day, boy it really flew through that soft wood! Wouldn't of had to clear it for another year or two, as it was getting old, but my stinker of a dog just "discovered" the golf ball sized peachlings growing on it and eats them when we aren't watching. I think that can poison him eventually so it had to go.

I hope you saved that wood. It makes for some great smoked meats. I like to use sweet fruit woods on poultry. Mmmmmm.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I hope you saved that wood. It makes for some great smoked meats. I like to use sweet fruit woods on poultry. Mmmmmm.

Indeed, Dry it well for a year or so.

I'm still wondering about the yellow/orange husky deal... of course over half of the pictures on TOS can't be viewed if you aren't registered....

Glad to hear others have had good luck with their MS170... cut up some more fallen trees today (old ones that had fallen) still pretty happy although they weren't much of a test for it... (small / rotten) ...

My first experience with a Stihl(chainsaw MS180)was the starting. Picked it up as a demo dirt cheap knew the dealer's old man so my first experience with a Stihl. My mistake was trying to start it like a Shindaiwa. Took me 3 hours to figure this out, almost threw it out in the dumpster(fustrated) why is a Stihl hard to start. The choke can't be used excessively(only pulled once) or it will flood the carb and wet the plugs. Once wet forget it, starting is impossible. Need to pull the plugs out and air dry it. Always have a spare plug what I would do if it can't start you got a fresh one. Oh don't throw away the wet plugs more than anything they're probably alright, just wet plugs. It's a Stihl thing from my understanding.

As far as performance I'll say it the way it is. It revs fast, cuts quick. My test was on Kiawe wood(mesquite) a very hard wood.
The MS180 did more than good it was excellent on certain cuts(diameter) on Kiawe wood. For a home usage I'd say it's performed more than a home usage saw but showed it's ability on a commercial saw...

The ultimate was a very hard thick cut but that was asking too much for the MS180 which was not the right saw to use. The MS180 has high rev but lacks the added torque. Just didn't have the juice or the saw would had over dose itself. We did try a used MS260 on that same log and it wasn't easy as butter but had the power backing to cut it.

Quite interesting was the MS260 seem to have the same problem as the MS180 on starting. One pull on the choke, set the choke off and than start. If the choke is repeated used it's almost impossible to start. I did advise the owner of the Stihl MS260 is to carry an extra spark plug if it can't start...really have no idea on Stihl but that was my experience.

As far as performance the Stihl chainsaw is top rated(quite tough) from my experience. Saw used for Kiawe wood was the Shindaiwa which has a higher torgue but I believe the Stihl has a higher rev a different saw from the Stihl.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'm still wondering about the yellow/orange husky deal... of course over half of the pictures on TOS can't be viewed if you aren't registered....

Glad to hear others have had good luck with their MS170... cut up some more fallen trees today (old ones that had fallen) still pretty happy although they weren't much of a test for it... (small / rotten) ...

Nothing to wonder, It has been documented.

Yes most sites you have to register to post, View images and such. Bitog included.

Very cool youre having a blast with your saw, That is what its all about!

Last edited:

Do you have any action photos with your saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back