2005 Honda Civic Trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Honda Civic 1.7L with Auto transmission.

This car used to be my moms and was serviced by the books at the dealer. Now the car belongs to my sister, and I do the maintenance. I keep up with oil changes, and at the next change (which is soon) I told her I'd do a drain and fill of the transmission.

She currently is away from home and has the manual in the glove box. What kind of fluid does this car take and how much does it require? I assume there is a drain bolt on the pan.

Also, what is the procedure for checking the fluid? On my Cherokee I check the fluid at operating temp, in park with it idling, after shifting through each gear selection. This is according to my shop manual.

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline Maxlife. Do at least 2 x drain and fills though. Be warned, it does normally result in faster gear changes that can sometimes not feel smooth if your used to the lazy shift that Z-1 gave that car. My gf had a 2005 civic lx auto as well, we loved Maxlife in the transmission. Gave a very "crisp" shifting experience.

I would use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF if you want local. I prefer amsoil ATF which is what I use

There are some very good videos on youtube that walk you through. Looks so easy, I'm even going to try it. My daughter has a 2003 Civic and I watched the video just this afternoon. One guy uses cardboard to deflect the fluid into the pan - it's a side bolt on the passenger side. Check fluid at operating temp with engine off.
Z-1 is listed in the manual but it's discontinued and DW1 is what they will give you.

Last edited:
It originally took Z1, but it has since been replaced by DW1.

I like Mag 1 Synthetic Low-Vis ATF. Full synthetic at a great price. Available on Amazon or Pep Boys. It takes 2.5 quarts.

There is a drain plug, but it is a 3/8" square hole, like using a socket wrench or breaker bar, but you don't actually need a socket. It is very close to the right front tire, facing to the right.

Check the fluid the same way you do it in your Jeep.

You can buy auto part chain store house brand that is specd z1 most will have it. Dw1 is a better fluid but z1 is also fine. Valvoline will work good as well. A lot of people are afraid of honda because they are so picky about their specs. I ran orielly house brand z1 specd fluid and changed it to dw1 and noticed no difference at all.

Why mess with success.

Just use the Honda DW 1 ATF.

It is probably true that you could run a aftermarket fluid like Castrol Transmax
Import Multi Vehicle ATF and have NO issues.

This Castrol fluid meets Honda DW 1 and Z 1 specs.

Valvoline does NOT meed DW 1.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

OP doesn't need DW1--it's a 2005

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

OP doesn't need DW1--it's a 2005

True, but Honda does not sell Z 1 spec any more all Honda ATF is now DW 1 spec, which is back specced for all traditional automatics they have sold.

Do a "bucket flush" . At $6/qt for Honda brand fluid, I don't like to waste 1 drop of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back