Techron = WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished up my second consecutive treatment of techron. WOW, car went from 23 to 25MPG to 29MPG. It probably would be more if I didn't have to warm up the car before each use because of my piston slap. If I didn't have to do that I bet it would be in the mid 30s. I am really impressed with this stuff. The car runs smoother and seems to no longer idle rough. Has more pep too. I am now on my third and final treatment. I hope to see additional results. After this 3 dose phase, I plan on running it every 2500 to 3000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by HACCOFFICER:
I just finished up my second consecutive treatment of techron. WOW, car went from 23 to 25MPG to 29MPG. It probably would be more if I didn't have to warm up the car before each use because of my piston slap. If I didn't have to do that I bet it would be in the mid 30s. I am really impressed with this stuff. The car runs smoother and seems to no longer idle rough. Has more pep too. I am now on my third and final treatment. I hope to see additional results. After this 3 dose phase, I plan on running it every 2500 to 3000 miles.

was that 3 doses in a row?? get a UOA and check for high copper/lead. that much techron is bound to get in your crankcase and shed some bearings.

Originally posted by sky jumper:
[/QUOTE]was that 3 doses in a row?? get a UOA and check for high copper/lead. that much techron is bound to get in your crankcase and shed some bearings.[/QUOTE]

Has that been proven to happen? I have heard this, but I haven't seen any evidence. Anyhoo I am on the rinse phase of auto RX so the oil doens't have long to go anyway

"was that 3 doses in a row?? get a UOA and check for high copper/lead. that much techron is bound to get in your crankcase and shed some bearings."

Why?? techron is a poly amine not a solvent
bruce

It's a Chevron product. Only one product, available in 12oz and 20oz bottles, and in a lower concentration in Chevron gasoline. Not sure where you can get it in Canada, maybe a Chevron gas station or parts store?

LT4 Vette,

The objective of fuel cleaners are to remove materials that are not dissolved by gasoline. Otherwise, gasoline would remove the material.

A solvent "dissolves" by forming a solution. If a solvent is miscible in gasoline, it must be similar to gasoline. The solvent may be able to dissolved the target material (the gunk) on its own. However, once in the fuel, the general characteristics of the fuel is not changed much. Gasoline is an excellent organic solvent already! To make the fuel have the characteristics of the added solvent, the percentage of solvent must be fairly large.

A detergent works very differently. As a general rule, detergents are molecules that have dissimilar ends. One end is hydrophylic (water loving) and the other end is hydrophobic (in this case, gasoline loving). Fuel detergents have the ability to 'dissolve' materials that are not dissolved by the gasoline. When the detergent encounters a material that can be dissolved in a more polar (charged) solution, the hydrophylic end of the detergent molecules group together to create a microenvironment that is "water like". Inside this environment, a solute can be suspended in fuel. This phenomenon can occur with relatively small amounts of detergent. The general characteristics of the fuel does not need to be changed.

HACCO - If you are on the rinse phase of AutoRX how do you know that the RX isn't the reason for the MPG improvement? Techron should improve the performance of the injectors but difficult to believe (for me) that you would get improvement past the first treatment???? From a testing standpoint, doing two different treatments at the same time confuses things a bit.

Mechtech wrote: "How come that explanation isn't on my box of Tide?"

I suppose that it is because you don't need that info to compare Tide to other detergents. However, since the explaination that I provided is based on detergents that are readily soluble in gasoline (as opposed to water) you really shouldn't use my explaination on laundry detergent. The general principle is the same though. By the way, if you buy water, the solvent description isn't included either.

John K,

Have you ever needed to wash your hands twice? Sometimes the first effort just doesn't get the job done. However, I agree that the two treatments are absolutely confounded and cannot be separated. We cannot know which is the effective treatment. However, my bet is on the Techron.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sky jumper:

was that 3 doses in a row?? get a UOA and check for high copper/lead. that much techron is bound to get in your crankcase and shed some bearings.

Here’s a UOA after using a LOT of fuel system cleaners, including both detergent types and solvent types. Iron is a bit high, but Blackstone doesn’t think it is a problem.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003280#000000

This kind of dispels the myth that you need to change your oil after a Techron treatment.

My increase could be from the RX, however I have been on the rinse phase for over 500 miles, and I didn't notice the increase until the second dose of techron.

What's the car? How many miles? I recently bought a high-mileage Nissan, and the first thing I added was Techron. I saw significant results.

Then I added some Gumout Regane, and saw even further positive "feedback" from my car.

I definately think that some neglected fuel systems can benefit from back-to-back, or even back-to-back-to-back fuel system cleaner treatments.

And judging from kang's experiences and UOA as proof, most these FI cleaners seem to be pretty darned safe, even with high and frequent doses.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I'm a big Techron fan too. As a fuel additive, I prefer detergent to solvent.

I’m coming to this conclusion too, although I wonder if solvents do have their place. I know of four detergent type additives, Techron, Gumout Regane, BG-44k and B-12 Chemtool Total Fuel System Cleanup. Are there any others? From the above list, Regane seems to be the best bargain, as they have it at my local Wal Mart for $5.23 or Target for $5.99.

The B12 product, according to their MSDS (http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Portals/0/BPI%20MSDS/2616.pdf), has what they call “Polymeric Amine/Amido Detergents.” Techron, and as far as I know Regane and BG-44K, have what they call “Polyether Amine.” I don’t know the difference between the two, but I do know I’ve had good results with the B12 product. It’s hard to find, though. It was on a back sale shelf at my local Pep Boys a while ago, and I bought all they had (about five bottles). It was worth it at 1/2 price, but on the net, it looks too expensive to be worth it.

So what is FP60? Solvent or detergent? I’m guessing solvent with some light oil, like MMO or Lucas UCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back