How good is Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't think there's a problem with RP looking similar to VSP in a virgin oil analysis. The problem is that it's more expensive.

Well, people have pointed out it's similar to the VSP in criticisms of RP. Nonetheless, if people don't like the price, don't pay it. Up here, it's not out of line with respect to the price of other synthetics, when you're looking on the same shelf and at regular prices, of course.

@Nightmare: Who's confusing the PQIA with regulators?

PQIA is funded by companies that believe in its mission and seek a level playing field in the lubricants market. Its supporters have no influence over PQIA's oil selection or analyses and do not know which oils are being tested - they learn of the testing results from the website at the same time everyone else does. Independence and integrity are the cornerstones of PQIA without which it could not exist and make a difference.

Tom NJ

It is so sad how low the RP fans will go now to demonized anyone and anything whose data contradicts their anecdotal "evidence!" Now they are questioning PQIA's integrity..
There are several labs that have tested RP in the last four years and they have consistently shown that RP is an average synthetic that is way overpriced. Don't buy the marketing which has been proven false.

Originally Posted By: Capa
It is so sad how low the RP fans will go now to demonized anyone and anything whose data contradicts their anecdotal "evidence!" Now they are questioning PQIA's integrity..
There are several labs that have tested RP in the last four years and they have consistently shown that RP is an average synthetic that is way overpriced. Don't buy the marketing which has been proven false.

+1

Who is demonizing PQIA or questioning their integrity? I certainly didn't although it "feels like" I am the one you mean. I simply stated I didn't know much about them, I have no interest in what they do, nor have I read any of their test results about RP so thus I have no comment on the PQIA link given that supposedly shows RP is mediocre. That is a far cry from demonizing. I would say that is a pretty honest and rational set of comments. I said absolutely NOTHING bad about them at all unless you think not caring about what they have to say is somehow demonizing them or calling their integrity into question?

I love this one. A real favorite of the RP bashers. RP supporters only use "anecdoatal evidence". Actual use experience and opinions based on that, not to mention UOA's done that return good results, are just anecdotal. What a ridiculous assertion. Do you always allow others to tell you what is and isn't a good product? When buying a car do you just pick up a car magazine and go with what they say is the best? Wow. That is almost as funny as the RP bashers talking about integrity.
crackmeup2.gif

What is really sad is the lengths some on this site will go to trying to degrade RP at every single opportunity that presents itself and/or to try and get RP users to stop using it and join the witch hunt. That is what is really sad. At least to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Who is demonizing PQIA or questioning their integrity? I certainly didn't although it "feels like" I am the one you mean.

I think he was referring to the comments made by Nightmare.

Tom NJ

Not trying to agitate the thread here, just curious as to how these lab tests indicated this oil as being no better than average. What do you guys look at to determine this? I was under the impression a oil needed to be used in real world conditions to see how well it fairs. Is it because it looks similar to Valvoline? VSP UOA'S are usually better than average with very low wear numbers, is it safe to assume RP would be similar? What recipe are you guys looking for?

Originally Posted By: coolbird101

Not trying to agitate the thread here, just curious as to how these lab tests indicated this oil as being no better than average. What do you guys look at to determine this? I was under the impression a oil needed to be used in real world conditions to see how well it fairs. Is it because it looks similar to Valvoline? VSP UOA'S are usually better than average with very low wear numbers, is it safe to assume RP would be similar? What recipe are you guys looking for?

There is no recipe,period. This website is known for RP bashing.This used to be a website to goto for reliable,hard facts you could learn about,but anymore,it's full of misinformation.In the real world useage of this oil,I've seen engines tore down for both street and track that have run Royal Purple oils with no issues.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

There is no recipe,period. This website is known for RP bashing.This used to be a website to goto for reliable,hard facts you could learn about,but anymore,it's full of misinformation and haters.In the real world useage of this oil,I've seen engine tore down for both street and track that have run Royal Purple oils with no issues.
So why should I spend inflated prices just to have "no issues" ? SuperTech from Walmart has caused "no issues" I am aware of.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

There is no recipe,period. This website is known for RP bashing.This used to be a website to goto for reliable,hard facts you could learn about,but anymore,it's full of misinformation and haters.In the real world useage of this oil,I've seen engine tore down for both street and track that have run Royal Purple oils with no issues.
So why should I spend inflated prices just to have "no issues" ? SuperTech from Walmart has caused "no issues" I am aware of.

No-one forces anyone to buy a certain oil,not sure why you people on this forum dont understand that?
21.gif

I see similarity of OCOD bashing. It is bashed mainly because you can get better filter for same or lower price. And that's ok, I will not buy a fram for a full price, but I have about 20+ different ones tgat I got like for a $1 each.
Same for RP, I never used it, but willing to try one day and compare it to other uoas in same engine. If results will be much better than other oils, I wll continue to buy it.
It is that simple.
I'm sure RP is fine oil. Overpriced? Yes, same as Motul, Pentosin and other butique oils in my stash.

Last edited:

Did you even READ this thread? Your RP hate has blinded you. Your contention is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
I see similarity of OCOD bashing. It is bashed mainly because you can get better filter for same or lower price.

Difference is, is that maybe 90% of the filters generally available are of a higher quality than the OCOD. Conversely, 90% of the oils generally available are NOT better than RP. You cannot compare a low quality filter with a very high quality oil.

This RP hate forum has gone on long enough. Time to lock this now and put an end to the mindless RP bashing that BITOG has become so notorious for. Its just sad to see now.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: MBS500
I see similarity of OCOD bashing. It is bashed mainly because you can get better filter for same or lower price.

Difference is, is that maybe 90% of the filters generally available are of a higher quality than the OCOD. Conversely, 90% of the oils generally available are NOT better than RP. You cannot compare a low quality filter with a very high quality oil.

This RP hate forum has gone on long enough. Time to lock this now and put an end to the mindless RP bashing that BITOG has become so notorious for. Its just sad to see now.

x2

+1
You get it.
Purp API SN seems to have a premium price for the add pack and basestocks it offers.
Synpower or NAPA's rebrand of Synpower offer the same for less coin.
As I've posted before, if I run across a few changes worth of Purp at a reasonable price, I'll try it and UOA it.
As I've also posted before, the Purp police should run 10K OCIs of the stuff in their own machines and then post the UOAs for observation, comment and critique.
The rest of the posts about BITOG members "bashing" RP are no more than rhetoric.
I found the posts about PQIA being some sort of anti-RP outfit to be especially hilarious as well as breathtaking in their ignorance.

There is no recipe,period. This website is known for RP bashing.This used to be a website to goto for reliable,hard facts you could learn about,but anymore,it's full of misinformation.In the real world useage of this oil,I've seen engines tore down for both street and track that have run Royal Purple oils with no issues.

Wow, the persecution complex of those who like a particular oil is just baffling to me. If "not having issues" is the benchmark for an oil...well, that's a pretty low bar. Here are the facts: the oil appears to have very average NOACK, VI and -30 pumpability--specs on which it's surpassed by Quaker State UD, which is significantly less money. That's not "hate", those are cold hard facts: PQIA Test Results

Sure, specs don't tell you everything, but they do give some insight. It's reasonable to believe that if RP used a significantly "better" base oil, some basic specs like NOACK and -30C mPa would be better relative to its competition. As such, it's hard to really see the value in it given the information that's out there, at least to me. It doesn't make it "bad oil", I just don't see why I would choose it relative to other oils if it's priced higher (and it is where I've seen it). If that's "hate", then I really don't know what to say??

Originally Posted By: JOD

Wow, the persecution complex of those who like a particular oil is just baffling to me. If "not having issues" is the benchmark for an oil...well, that's a pretty low bar. Here are the facts: the oil appears to have very average NOACK, VI and -30 pumpability--specs on which it's surpassed by Quaker State UD, which is significantly less money. That's not "hate", those are cold hard facts: PQIA Test Results

Sure, specs don't tell you everything, but they do give some insight. It's reasonable to believe that if RP used a significantly "better" base oil, some basic specs like NOACK and -30C mPa would be better relative to its competition. As such, it's hard to really see the value in it given the information that's out there, at least to me. If that's "hate", then I really don't know what to say??

REAL world results I'll take over ANYTHING posted on a website,period!

Engine builders,like it!
I've seen many engines torn apart,AGAIN both street & track,clearances,etc were great that were using RP oil.

You dont like it? Dont use it! The bashing etc on this website is so rediculous it isnt even funny!

UNBELIEVABLE! I've said it before,I'm through wasting time with RP topics and it's the same [censored] posted over and over how it's such a bad oil,it's an overpriced oil,blah blah.

You dont like it? Dont use it! The bashing etc on this website is so rediculous it isnt even funny!

UNBELIEVABLE! I've said it before,I'm through wasting time with RP topics and it's the same [censored] posted over and over how it's such a bad oil,it's an overpriced oil,blah blah.

Its just sad. The powers that be at BITOG should ban the mindless RP bashing. It just DRAGS DOWN this site. Sad.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Its just sad. The powers that be at BITOG should ban the mindless RP bashing. It just DRAGS DOWN this site. Sad.

Please read what I actually wrote. Where did I "bash" the oil? What exactly did I say that should be banned? What in the world are you talking about? I simply said I don't seen any characteristics which would justify it's higher price--because I don't! I If that sort of comment needs to be censored then we're seriously beyond all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back