2012 Honda Accord tranny drain and fill with pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the ATF in my 2012 V6 Accord automatic and I have a few questions. My Accord has 15,000 miles on it and I wanted to get all the break in [censored] out of it so I changed the fluid early. I did a drain and fill twice. The 1st drain and fill I got out about 3.7quarts. I refilled with fresh Honda ATF. I then drove about 10 minutes at 60MPH to get it nice and hot and mixed. I then did a 2nd drain and fill and got about 3.5 quarts out exactly. Is this good enough or should I do a 3rd drain and fill? The tranny should have almost all new fluid in it now.

Here are some pictures. The first 2 pictures is of the drain plug. It seem to have a lot of tiny metal shaving on it. Is this normal. The 3rd picture is of the paper towel I wiped it off with. Not as much was on there as I 1st thought.

This next picture is the ATF fluid on the 2nd drain. I forgot to take a picture of the 1st drain. The next picture is a paper towel dipped in the fluid to get a better idea of the fluids color and condition.

The next picture is the fluid from the 2nd drain(on the right) compared to the factory fresh fluid on the left. How does the fluid on the right with 15,000 miles on it look for that kind of use? I plan on doing another 2 or 3 drain and fills at 30,000 miles. After that do you think a couple drain and fills every 30,000 miles would be a good schedule? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
After that do you think a couple drain and fills every 30,000 miles would be a good schedule? Thanks!

Yes. Another suggestion is to do just one drain/fill every 15,000 miles; this is what I do with mine. I think it's a little more convenient to do just one drain/fill more frequently than multiple drain/fills on a more infrequent basis. Just personal preference, though.

I got 300,000 miles out of my 89 Accord's transmission with nothing more than a SINGLE DAF every 30,000 miles. After the first one (Dexron II) I used synthetic - initially Amsoil and then Mobil 1 - fluid.

I doubt it would have lasted much longer wasting time and money on multiple DAF's or flushes.

Don't overthink things. I kept that car 23 years. How many people even WANT to do that? I'm never going to do it again.

I've been doing 3x DAFs every 30K to our VUE (which has a Honda 5-speed AT). At 30K I used the spec'd ATF-Z1. At 60K I switched to Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC and prefer the crisper feel of shifts that it contributes to.

That's the SWEET thing about Honda ATs. They're easier to drain/fill than the engine oil.

I do single DAFs on my 2008 Honda Odyssey as well. Did the first at ~25K miles, then typically one a year. ~65K on the ticker to date. Have used nothing but Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Do these Hondas have a magnetic drain plug? My Prizrolla has two magnets in the bottom of the pan that were covered in a metallic "slime", which I assume is microscopic wear particles. Normal stuff according to repair manual, just wipe it clean, de-grease and go.

I do a DAF every 2 years regardless of mileage.

I started this regimen as the 2010 Fit didn't come with DW-1 from the factory and the cold shifts were horrible.

I DAF cured the problem, drove it for a year then did a second DAF and didn't improve cold shifts much.

I will do my 3rd DAF probably when I hit 50,000 kms on the ODO, I am at 32,000 kms now (I do mainly city driving).

DAF every 2 years is the way to go, fluid is cheap and on a Honda it is a snap to do when you are doing the oil change and have the car in the air anyway.

back in 89 honda made a good tranny these days not so good actually really good for the tranny guys really bad for the owner that has to pay to have it rebuilt my brother used to own a trans shop now he works for me rebuilding engines.

It looks really good to me too. I'd (and I am on both our cars) do a DaF every 15,000 miles. Did it have any burnt smell at all? Z1 would always smell burnt after 15,000, but maxlife still smells brand new at 15,000.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm
Do these Hondas have a magnetic drain plug? My Prizrolla has two magnets in the bottom of the pan that were covered in a metallic "slime", which I assume is microscopic wear particles. Normal stuff according to repair manual, just wipe it clean, de-grease and go.

What do you think that black thing on the end of the plug with all the metal stuck to it is?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
back in 89 honda made a good tranny these days not so good

I guess that is very possible. The 89 autos had VERY positive shifts - shift kit positive. As I recall, they toned down the shift feel in the 4th generation (1990-1993) to cater to American tastes. I often thought that was why mine lasted so long.

I just think that many on this forum are very excessive and wasteful with transmission maintenance. But, there is nothing I can do about it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
back in 89 honda made a good tranny these days not so good actually really good for the tranny guys really bad for the owner that has to pay to have it rebuilt my brother used to own a trans shop now he works for me rebuilding engines.
Very true. Went downhill immediately after 98.

My 2012 Honda Accord has to be the nicest shifting car of the 15 or so I have owned in my life. It shifts very positively and strong and you can feel it putting the power to the wheels. No problems at all in the year I have owned the car. Can't say that for any of my GM's, Volvos or BMW's I have owned.

Honda is probably the best built car on the road today with out question(for reliability). My Volvo R is more fun though:

Last edited:
Hey, strokes for folks. I've done single d&f's on an 01 Civic at 25-30k after an initial ~55-60k ff drain. Until recently always used the poorly rated Z-1, but last time used MaxLife. Over 190k now and still shifting fine (knock wood)on the #1 worst individual complaint listed on car complaints.com.
21.gif
Not bad.

Based on my experience, I think your drain plug looks normal, and two is likely enough or more than needed. But if doing another helps you sleep better at night, go for it. I couldn't take the DW-1 ATF cost hit and sleep too well. Just me.

Fwiw, getting ready to do my second single d&f on a 3.0L V6 with at the second ~25k interval with MaxLife.

Personally, I would keep doing draining and filling until it looks jut like the fresh fluid. After that, do it once a year and it will always look new.

I thought Honda's maintenance minder accounted for ATF as well. I know the Civic has ATF as part of the minder.

You only need to do one drain and fill at the interval suggested by the minder (eg one D&F every 30k or whatever the computer tells you). The only time a complete flush is necessary is if the fluid was never changed and the car had very high mileage (think 150k+)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I thought Honda's maintenance minder accounted for ATF as well. I know the Civic has ATF as part of the minder.

You only need to do one drain and fill at the interval suggested by the minder (eg one D&F every 30k or whatever the computer tells you). The only time a complete flush is necessary is if the fluid was never changed and the car had very high mileage (think 150k+)
honestly, this is the time when you DON'T want to do a full fluid exchange due to crud settlement. This is when you should only do drain and refill to renew the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back