Fiat 500 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on buying a new fiat 500 1.2 litre unlimited kms 5 year warranty

Specs say use full synthetic 10w 30 for 15k miles or 12 months. I believe thats too long and too many miles.

Now question is will i be able to use a semi sythetic 10w40 and change it every 1.5k miles without any issues? Planning to use original filter.

Here in Australia 10w-40 and 15w-40 is $40 less for semi synthetic then full synthetics.

I'd stick with the 10w-30 synthetic, but 15k miles is an awful lot. How large is the sump? I would get a UOA at 7500, 10000, and 12500 before stretching in that far. It is a tiny motor, so maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

Follow Bandito's recommendation for warranty purposes and peace of mind.. This will also negate the cost difference between the synthetic and semi synthetic.

Yea you can use semi, 15k or 12 months is on par with what a good synthetic can do when used with a filter that's also rated for as many miles, though the only filter I know of that's rated for 15k, and doesn't do it by being overly restrictive is the amsoil EA. It's what I use along with their oil. 1.5k is just down right wasteful, I'm not tryin to hound you but think about the wasted oil after say 200,000 miles like that, u'd waste twice as much over 3k changes. If you do it yourself, save all receipts for both oil and filter, if you make a warranty claim your number of receipts will have to match their plan. Say at 50,000, they want it changed at least every 15k(good for you because you need one third the # of receipts compared to 5k mile plan)you should have at least 3 receipts for oil&filter(5k OCI u'd have to show 10). if it says to use synthetic and doesn't say conventional or semi is ok to use, they "can" refuse to fix the engine should something happen. And if it were mine, I'd immediately dump the factory fill in the tranny and get the best synthetic I can get in it as quick as possible.
-srv

I'm sure it will be 5w30, probably a C3 oil. Can you post a copy of the recommendations in the manual?

To answer your question, I wouldn't. It may void the waranty for a start and It's also false economy to change the oil that often with cheaper oil. Use the correct spec oil but change it more often if you want, no shorter than 10,000km though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
I'm sure it will be 5w30, probably a C3 oil. Can you post a copy of the recommendations in the manual?

To answer your question, I wouldn't. It may void the waranty for a start and It's also false economy to change the oil that often with cheaper oil. Use the correct spec oil but change it more often if you want, no shorter than 10,000km though.

sorry i havent bought the car yet i dont have the manual, but i saw the manual at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd stick with the 10w-30 synthetic, but 15k miles is an awful lot. How large is the sump? I would get a UOA at 7500, 10000, and 12500 before stretching in that far. It is a tiny motor, so maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

guess your right i would stick with the right oil, mate that engine is only 1 foot in length, lol

If you haven't bought it yet, I would first take a look at some other similar options. I bought my car before I did any research on engine options, I'll never make that mistake again, I would have got my exact same car but in the XLE trim with the 100hp/liter engine(1,8l 2zz-ge instead of 1zz). Others include the mini S with the 1,6l turbo, there's the new Ford focus with eco boost(has the new Honeywell turbo that just blows all other turbines away on technology, turns the exhaust 90° before it hits the turbine allowing far faster spool times, Honeywell changed some other things as well), Chevy just released their 2L turbo diesel they claim 46mpg on, scion has their IQ which may be worth a look if it has an available performance engine. I think a small powerful four will always be cooler than a powerful 6-8, power from a big engine is expected, power from a small one is impressive, measure power on a power per liter scale, not overall power. Like I said if you haven't bought yet, don't make the same mistake I did, research, research, research, find the best car with the best engine option. I assume your after fuel economy which is why I'm listing other small cars, at least check, I just looked and for 2013, fists got the 1,4l turbo engine, twin intercooled, 135hp@5500 & 150lb/ft @2500-4000, get this engine, you don't have to get the absent edition to have it either. At 1,4L and factory 135hp, all you'd need is a high flow air filter to tack on the extra hp to achieve the gold ratio of 100hp/liter(more powerful than the corvette LS7 427 rated at 550hp/7= 79.2hp per liter) and 150ft/lbs starting at 2500rpm and holding flat through 4000(yes we love what a turbo does to that torque curve) will have you extremely happy with this decision. Rather than doin what most do and buy first, then wonder what they can do to increase power and its far cheaper to just get the factory turbo, it would cost in excess of 3-4 grand to add the twin intercooled turbo and tune it if you decide later that the 100hp and 98ft/lbs the base engine has isn't quite enough to get your jig on. Be smart, do it right the first time, and you won't want to get rid of it a couple years later.
-Srv

I thought you needed premium hamster food and rubber band lubricant for a Fiat 500
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ChemicallyChargd
If you haven't bought it yet, I would first take a look at some other similar options. -Srv

i am planning on buying it not because of power but because i can customise the interior as much as i wan. Red glossy dash, white steering wheel white door panels. Find me a car with red glossy interior dash and i am all for it. Here in Australia all other cars have black or grey interiors. Plus its only $14k brand new

agree with you though alot of nice better cars out there for value and power, just not my interior style i need

Originally Posted By: Doog
I thought you needed premium hamster food and rubber band lubricant for a Fiat 500
lol.gif

yeah i believe its called SELENIA oil :)

Well what I'm sayin is you CAN have the same car, it's got the base engine, or the turbocharged version, and you don't have to buy the abarth edition to get the turbo. It's very possible if you get the base you may regret not opting for the turbo, especially now that you know about it(easier to live without if you don't know it's available).
-SRV

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You expect to get more than 50,000 miles out of this fire cracker?

Mate i only drive 4000 miles a year and plan on keeping it for 5 years. Hence why i change my oil at 1500 miles, obsession with oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back