What oil should I use? 2005 CRV Ownder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow BITOG members. I haven't been here in awhile. I did a load of research many years ago. I'm back to ask for your advice and actually post since I have acquired a new-to-me car that doesn't have oil leaks and is worthy of quality oil.
smile.gif

1. 2005 Honda CRV AWD EX
2. Owner's manual says 5w-20 API Certification
3. I live in sunny Southern California, Los Angeles to be exact
4. I drive slow and easy.
5. My daily drive consists of 13 miles of highway one-way, sometimes smooth sometimes traffic.
6. My car has no known problems.

This vehicle seemed to be kept nicely. I bought it from the dealer with 67,000 miles but I don't remember whether it has had it's oil changed religiously at the dealer and with Honda Motor Oil. I would like to use Mobil 1 but the manual says Oil Additives can adversely affect the engines performance and durability so I am not sure if I should. Suggestions? Should I start using synthetic and if I take a road trip to the desert or any long road trip for that matter should I change the oil & filter after or before the trip?

AND

My Girlfriends new-to-her Car if you all don't mind
wink.gif
wink.gif

1. 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser SE
2. Owner's manual says 5w-30 API Certification
3. Southern California
4. She drives a bit more aggressive than I do doing 75 to 80 MPH freeway flow-of-fast-traffic driving as opposed to my 65 MPH granny-eco-driving.
smile.gif

5. 17 Mile One way Highway daily commute with traffic.
6. Possible Fuel-Pressure-Sensor Issue.

Looking forward to hearing your guy's suggestions.

I would like to keep oil in both car's for a year between changes.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
For the Honda pick any 20 grade you find cheapest and roll with it,unless Honda has specified a synthetic. If so pick whatever syn is on sale at Walmart this week. Pp and qsud are always a good bet,M1 is also a good runner.
For the dodge I'd buy whatever synthetic 30 grade is on sale.

For your one year interval, a good synthetic (for either vehicle) will do you right.

For long trips, if you do have a good synthetic in, you should be fine as long as your mileage for the year is 7500 or less...looks like your commute will rack up around 6800 in a year, so if it's a long trip you may want to get a UOA done to be sure the oil is doing ok(before the trip) or change it prior to the trip, if it will take you more than 7500. Just being conservative, depending on the oil and your actual driving, you could get a lot more distance for each change.

There are many good brands of oil, some of which Clevy mentioned. I prefer Amsoil myself.

Last edited:
If you like Mobil 1, use it in the appropriate grade in both cars without concern. I wouldn't do more than 7,500 miles on it without a UOA though.

Mobil 1 filters are also a fine choice if you'd like to stick with that brand.

Suran, WRT your CR-V, as others have suggested, any of the major's 5W-20 weight oil is fine. In this regard, the k-series engine in your Honda has a well-established history of being exceptionally easy on motor oil. It will easily tolerate yearly oil changes. Your CR-V was also back-spec'ed several years ago by Honda for 0W-20 weight oil or 5W-20, which gives you additional flexibility.

WRT brands of oil, as you may know, "Honda Motor Oil" is manufactured & bottled for Honda by ConocoPhillips (COP). Essentially it's the same as "Motorcraft" which is manufactured by COP for Ford Motor Co, so that's one option. And, just as Honda Motor Oil is sold as either a fully synthetic or a blend (semi-synthetic), so is Motorcraft. Either fully synthetic or semi-synthetic oil will perform equally well in your CR-V. Consequently, if you want to save a buck or two per quart (or more per 5-quart jug), you can always find Motorcraft at WalMart and use it with confidence.

Of course, if you prefer to use Mobil 1, it, too, is sold as both a 0W-20 and 5W-20 weight oil, and both are fully synthetic. Among oil cognoscenti, arguably the basic chemical composition of 0W-20 is superior to M1's 5W-20, but here again your CR-V will never know the difference. Another excellent synthetic is Pennzoil's Platinium. PP is well regarded for its exceptional detergent qualities, which you might want to consider if you don't know much about your CR-V's maintenance history and/or want to clean out any detritus that may have accumulated over the years. (If you are going to pursue this possibility, I'd recommend two semi-annual oil changes before going to a yearly sked.) You can also drive all over Kingdom Come hunting for various huiles du jour -- today's favorite on Bob's is Idemitsu's 0W-20 weight sold by Mazda -- but, again, living in CA your CR-V will never know the difference nor will you.

These same basic options (save the Mazda oil) exist WRT your GF's PT Cruiser. Hard to beat M1's or PP's 5W-30.

SoCal could be really easy on oil (fairly mild climate), or really hard on oil (idling / stop&go in LA traffic in the summer). Since you mentioned you're in LA and want to stick with annual changes, I'd be sure to stick with a synthetic.

Any synthetic will do, but my top 3 would be PU, QSUD, and PP - in that order.

Since you mentioned M1, I'll say that IMO, M1's best xW-20 and xW-30 varieties are in the AFE and EP product lines.

I agree it's hard to go wrong with any of the choices recommended. But if you aren't sure of the car's maintenance history it would be a good idea to not extend the first few oil change intervals too much. In materials for Mobil1 High Mileage, for example, Mobil recommends the first few OCIs be limited to 3-5,000 miles for cars with an uncertain history.

For the CR-V, Honda's own 0w20 oil is excellent and readily available. Otherwise, there are numerous high-quality 5w20s available as part of the "5 quarts + filter" change specials at auto parts stores. The CR-V is not picky about oil and your driving style doesn't necessitate anything special.

As for the other car, I would stick with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 when it's on sale. It is modern and proven formula available at any auto parts store.

As others have suggested I'd go with an OEM 0W-20 for the Honda. In order of preference it would be the Mazda moly 0W-20, Toyota 0W-20, Mitsubishi 0W-20 or Honda 0W-20 followed by any other OTC 0W-20.

For the Pt Cruiser, any 5W-30 synthetic bought on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back