Serious hiking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: volk06
Add waterproof jacket and insect repellent, leave the revolver home.

Take the revolver along.

After decades of hiking I can say the only thing that's ever really worried me were the very, very few hikers i encountered with handguns. Most every one you meet hiking you'll find to be fun, interesting and caring. And unarmed. If bears are your issue, take bear spray - it works on Grizzlies in Montana and it'll work even better in West Virginia.

If you were a 100 pound woman hiking the Pacific Crest trail solo, I'd get it, but what are all us big, strapping guys so afraid of?

Everyone has to have their boogey man.

Dont forget the green tree gang, hiding around the next boulder, hopped up on drugs, waiting to rob your wife and rape you!

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I do not want to bring along tons of water since the first day will involve more miles than I have walked in years.

One other word of advice. Start walking NOW! Wife and I are starting back hiking and once you hit the hills it's a totally different ball game. I run 3 miles 3-5x a week and she does Zumba 3x a week.

We did a 6 mile section of the Appalacian Trail near our house Sunday. It was in one of the mountains round here. We both felt out of shape and were beat by the end.

Te hills will definitely tax your body so be prepared. Also break in your boots in advance so you don't get blisters.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: volk06
Add waterproof jacket and insect repellent, leave the revolver home.

Take the revolver along.

After decades of hiking I can say the only thing that's ever really worried me were the very, very few hikers i encountered with handguns. Most every one you meet hiking you'll find to be fun, interesting and caring. And unarmed. If bears are your issue, take bear spray - it works on Grizzlies in Montana and it'll work even better in West Virginia.

If you were a 100 pound woman hiking the Pacific Crest trail solo, I'd get it, but what are all us big, strapping guys so afraid of?

Everyone has to have their boogey man.

Dont forget the green tree gang, hiding around the next boulder, hopped up on drugs, waiting to rob your wife and rape you!

my wife will not be along, my best friend and hiking partner was 2nd in the state his senior yr in wrestling. i am 6'2" 205 and tougher than nails. that said it is my 2nd amendment right to carry a gun. i have zero intention of turning this into a political debate, but i honestly do not see what the big deal is with carrying a small caliber pistol is...? if you lived thru the DC sniper or more recently an escaped drug running thug in a small town in VA maybe you would understand, but then again maybe u wouldnt. i have zero intention of using my gun, but u better believe that in case I need it i will be glad i brought it.

as for the advice on breaking in my boots and making sure i am in shape, im working on it!

Double-think what you actually need after you have your gear sorted/packed. Try to find multiple uses for things and try to avoid bringing things 'just in case'. The weight really adds up. For a hike that long, you have to have a water source and filter or purifier or you'd be bringing dozens of pounds of water along. Carry enough for a 1/2 day and then refill at lunch.

Borrow a warm and light sleeping bag, if yours is heavy and bulky. Sleeping bag and tent are the two biggest ways you can save weight - maybe a local REI can rent you something better than you currently have. Split the weight with your buddy for the communal stuff like tent, cooking/food, etc.
Check the forecast beforehand to see how much insulation (sleeping bag, clothes, beanie, gloves) you may actually need.
Small camera for sure.

Be prepared, but not over-prepared. Extra weight SUCKS!

Take a camera with you so you can share your hike with us :^) I`d love to see that part of the country!!!!!!!

thanks surf, I will do that. What is a reasonable/manageable weight for a backpack? I'm thinking anything under 10 lbs should be fine.

thanks surf, I will do that. What is a reasonable/manageable weight for a backpack? I'm thinking anything under 10 lbs should be fine.

4-6 lbs would be middle ground now-a-days. Anything over that and its either a old, burly design, or is too big. If you buy/rent a pack that's too big, it will encourage you to fill it with stuff you should have left behind.

My pack could probably be stretched into a 4-5 night trip when packing sparingly, but I haven't been able to put together that long of a trek - and it weighs in at 3.6 lbs, 60L capacity.

Sounds like you have some time to plan, so you can talk with your friend about what gear they already own and what you should purchase or rent if possible.

Take a lightweight gun,.38 or larger caliber but if the .32 is all you have ok. and DO NOT watch Deliverance before you go.

I will assume you are in shape for this.

When I spend time outdoors I always think what do I need to stay warm enough, and then add 1 more item.It can get cold at night.

If you are really in the boonies take 2 compasses and a map.If lost you will be surprised how easy it is to doubt your only compass.

other people with guns.

As a Canadian, I have never thought of worrying about other people with guns ... on a hike? I've worried about bears, getting lost or hurt etc.

West Virginia is not Canada. You have no meth cooks , weed plantations etc. or just plain crazy people in the remote areas?

No disrespect to W.V. its the same problems here.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
West Virginia is not Canada. You have no meth cooks , weed plantations etc. or just plain crazy people in the remote areas?

I guess we do, but we can spread them over a larger area.
grin2.gif

BC is BIG. Here are the comparisons:

62,755 km²
West Virginia, Area
1.855 million (2012)
West Virginia, Population

944,735 km²
British Columbia, Area
4.4 million (2011)
British Columbia, Population

15 West Virginia's could fit into BC .. so we have a lot of space to hide the oddballs.
56.gif

Where in West Virginia are you going? If you're going to the coal fields, absolutely bring water with you.

If you're only hiking < 10 miles over two days, my suggestion is to pack as lightly as possible. Bring a blanket, poncho, 550 cord, flashlight, sleeping roll, toothbrush, bug spray, socks/underwear, and protein-laden food. A GPS is always handy but a 7.5-min quad and a compass is a cheaper alternative.

You really don't need much for a weekend trip. I do a lot of backpacking and also served as infantryman in the Army -- The #1 mistake I've seen people make is overpacking.

In Alaska I remember the local saying having the gun will allow you to kill your self faster when the bear(grizzly) gets you.

Have a blast! I love hiking.

I realize you won't change your mind about the revolver, but to keep those you encounter on the trail from becoming really uncomfortable (you may seem to be the dangerous one to them) at least carry the thing out of sight. We encountered a visibly armed hiker and my wife was completely freaked out - pretty much ruined the day for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back