Win32/DownloadAdmin.G---what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I was curious and temporarily disabled my MSE and MBAM programs, installed the trial version of ESET Smart Security 6, just to see what it looked like and how it might run on my computer. I recently read good reviews on ESS 6. I did a scan with it and it found this malicious file:

Win32/DownloadAdmin.G

Does anyone here know what this file is and is it harmful? I Googled it and it is said to be some sort of browser re-direct that gets in the back door...I have not been redirected and have not had any sign of any virus activity on my computer. MSE and MBAM Pro have never found any malicious programs here. Back when I had Norton and Avast they never found anything either. So I would be grateful if anyone has any insight on it.

Thanks.

I quarantined the file and am about 90% done with a second scan, so far nothing else has been found. That file name does not show up when I look for it in the Windows search box either..

Thanks for the reply. It is not showing up in the processes section of task manager either. Does that mean ESET really did get rid of it? I wonder if it comes back on reboot. Looks like no matter what happens I may be buying myself a license for ESET real soon if it is this good at finding bad files..

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks for the reply. It is not showing up in the processes section of task manager either. Does that mean ESET really did get rid of it? I wonder if it comes back on reboot. Looks like no matter what happens I may be buying myself a license for ESET real soon if it is this good at finding bad files..

I'm sure ESET killed the process but I would make sure it's out of your registry by following g the instructions on the link I sent you or it might reload the next time your reboot.

I would also make sure your not operating your PC with an admin account, you should use a regular account for day to day operations and when you need to install software, etc you use your "admin" account. Also make sure that User Account Settings are enabled.

I will have to check and see if it needs removing tomorrow. I will check it with CCleaner too. The subsequent ESET scan did not find any malicious files but that does not mean it won't come back on reboot. I always use my regular non-admin account for normal daily use of my computer. I learned about that here and wish I had learned it sooner because I have had some malware problems about 18 months ago. Thanks again for your help.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

And this (as well as the fact that ESET's NOD32 program also blocks many malicious sites) is why we have a site license for their product
thumbsup2.gif

Well the file did not come back when I rebooted today. I did another scan with ESET this afternoon and it did not find that file or any other problems either. I tried to follow the steps in the removal link but ESET must have killed the file because it is not listed anywhere in my task manager.

Thanks for the help here. I may just keep ESET if the free trial continues to go this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back