CCMC G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lubricants and Lubrication - CCMC Specs

See link above. CCMC was a precursor to ACEA, with the G ranges aligning to different requirements. Here is a viscosity-temperature chart from MB. You can see that the CMC G5 oils have a bit wider of a range than those of the same viscosity that dont hold such a rating.

MBDiesel.jpg

Per the book above, G5 had greater sludge and other requirements, than G4, which replaced all previous specs. My read on it is that G4 and G5 morphed into an A1 and A3 spec, with G5 relating more to the A3 (which you see if you look at the pedigree of how MB works their specs), to ensure higher HT/HS and better overall protection from the same viscosity.

Thanks for that. From your link, my take is simply G4<G5<ACEA. Just like SF<SG<SH. CCMC was a higher standard than the API approval at the same time.

I just found this table

ACEA Old CCMC (not in absolute terms, a guide only)
A2 G1, G2
A3 G4, G5
B2 PD1
B3/B4 PD2
E2 D4
E3 D5

Seems sensible to me. But remember that ACEA ratings now have date codes to them, like B2-03 Since there is no alphabet, and the number right after A or B is related to the robustness/application for the oil, the next digits show how one supercedes the other...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Per the book above, G5 had greater sludge and other requirements, than G4, which replaced all previous specs. My read on it is that G4 and G5 morphed into an A1 and A3 spec, with G5 relating more to the A3 (which you see if you look at the pedigree of how MB works their specs), to ensure higher HT/HS and better overall protection from the same viscosity.

Thanks for that tidbit of information. We don't get to see stuff like that too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back