Grease for CV-joint / determening grease type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CV joint rubber boot ripped apart on my car and I bought an OEM replacement, but it didn't come with grease...

So I was looking at car parts places for a CV-joint specific grease, but first 4 places didn't have any and said to use a graphite-based grease.

The fifth place I visited had some grease that they sell for that purpose, but it's in an unmarked container - no brand, no description and it's black. It was cheap, so I bought it anyway.

But then I stopped at a car dealership and they showed me the tube they use and it says: 'Lithium extreme pressure multipurpose lubricating grease containing molybdenum disulphide. ... Intended for lubrication of homokinetic drive-axle joints ...'. It sounds like the right stuff and they were kind enough to give me enough for my CV joint. It is also black.

But now I would like to know just what type of grease did I actually buy. Is there a simple DIY method of determining what type of grease it is (at least whether it's lithium or graphite)?

D.

The valvoline durablend and synpower grease in the tubes/tubs is the most readily available CV joint grease for the price. It is also dark gray/black ish with moly in it, the synpower even has some ZDDP with the moly.

Not all CV joints use grease. My MBs all use a heavy oil in the CV, and last for 30+ years and >>250k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back