Best fluid for BMW 6 speed Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Russ,

As long as it is an Application Speciic MTL with a GL-4 rating and a close viscosity it won't matter.

The difference in viscosity between BMW's MTF-LT-2 and the BMW's MTF-LT-3 is about 1.5 cSt. No big deal.

Keep it in for 5k, do a VOA and UOA and let's see how it's playing with the tranny.

And sleep well.

Last edited:
What do you mean application specific? As in, it's a manual transmission fluid?

Which fluid is thicker? The LT-2 or LT-3? Do you know what other differences there are and who makes the LT-3?

Also, when I took the original fluid out (the car has done just under 39,000 miles) there were little gold particles in the bottom of the drain pan when I poured the old oil back into the bottles the the new oil had been in. I'm guessing it's copper from the synchro rings, but is it normal to see that? I can post pics if that'll help.

As for fluid change, I'm going to change it again this coming weekend, as I intended to do a double change anyway, so bought enough fluid for two changes.

Basically though, you're saying this fluid won't harm my transmission?

Russ, Did you read any of the previous posts I made?

Quote:
A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-1, 2

The higher the kinematic viscosity the thicker the fluid.

Last edited:
Quote:

Also, when I took the original fluid out (the car has done just under 39,000 miles) Basically though, you're saying this fluid won't harm my transmission?

Application Specific means: the fluid was PURPOSELY designed for that application as in a Manual Transmission fluid.

An Application Specific fluid for Manual Transmissions with an SAE GL-4 protection rating such as the two fluids you mentioned will provide the anti-wear protection you need.

It is normal to see gold and silver sparkles in any Manual Transmission fluid that has been in service.

Gold sparkles are actually brass particles and silver sparkles are actually some aluminum or steel particles.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you know what other differences there are and who makes the LT-3?

The only differences are in the Kinematic viscosity.

The Performance Improvent (PI) package (additive package) is essentially the same.

I believe it is Pentosin that makes the fluids for BMW.

Oh, so between the BMW MTF-LT-3 and the Pentosin MTL-2, the only difference is in kinematic viscosity - and the difference is less great than if I'd switched to Redline MTL? (I'm assuming the MTF-2 is thicker than the MTf-LT-3?)

So in that case, the MTF-2 shouldn't harm the transmission at all?

I wonder why BMW made the switch? For better mpg etc I presume? Though many seem to think you can go to a higher numbered LT-X fluid, but shouldn't go for a lower numbered one than stock - perhaps that's just a bit of an old wives tale?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Russ, Did you read any of the previous posts I made?

Quote:
A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-1, 2

The higher the kinematic viscosity the thicker the fluid.

Read? Yes. Understood? Well, I'm trying my best!

I really appreciate your help and insight though.

Quote:

Also, when I took the original fluid out (the car has done just under 39,000 miles) Basically though, you're saying this fluid won't harm my transmission?

Application Specific means: the fluid was PURPOSELY designed for that application as in a Manual Transmission fluid.

An Application Specific fluid for Manual Transmissions with an SAE GL-4 protection rating such as the two fluids you mentioned will provide the anti-wear protection you need.

It is normal to see gold and silver sparkles in any Manual Transmission fluid that has been in service.

Gold sparkles are actually brass particles and silver sparkles are actually some aluminum or steel particles.

So this doesn't seem abnormal for a car with 39,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: TheRuss
Oh, so between the BMW MTF-LT-3 and the Pentosin MTL-2, the only difference is in kinematic viscosity - and the difference is less great than if I'd switched to Redline MTL? (I'm assuming the MTF-2 is thicker than the MTf-LT-3?)

So in that case, the MTF-2 shouldn't harm the transmission at all?

I wonder why BMW made the switch? For better mpg etc I presume? Though many seem to think you can go to a higher numbered LT-X fluid, but shouldn't go for a lower numbered one than stock - perhaps that's just a bit of an old wives tale?

For the MTF-LT-X fluids, the higher numbers of X represents a lower viscosity fluid for improved MPG.

Quote:

So this doesn't seem abnormal for a car with 39,000 miles?

The fluid is normally purple so is that not clean?

For the MTF-LT-X fluids, the higher numbers of X represents a lower viscosity fluid for improved MPG. [/quote]

Sorry to press the issue, but is that the only difference between these fluids, or are there other differences, some of which might mean that this MTF-2 could harm my transmission?

If it's just slightly thicker, but otherwise exactly the same, then I'm happy. I was considering a move to Redline MTL, so if the Pentosin is just a thicker version of the MTF-LT-3 that came in my transmission then I'm happy. A slightly thicker fluid that is BMW approved.

As for the oil shots above, yes, they are old fluid. The colour was browny/black. Is that amount of gold particles normal? What you're seeing in the first two photos is the accumulation of them at the bottom of the drain pan.

You're really reading far too much into this man. Pick one of the known GOOD fluids (OEM, Redline MTL, etc.) and change it on schedule, and forget about it.

Originally Posted By: KenO
You're really reading far too much into this man. Pick one of the known GOOD fluids (OEM, Redline MTL, etc.) and change it on schedule, and forget about it.

+1

Does the Pentosin MTF-2 that I've put in fall into that category?

For the 100th time, yes. Pentosin is as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back