FRAM ULTRA FILTER QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if there is a filter section to this forum or not but..

the fram ultra says you it lasts up to 15k miles... so does that mean you use the same oil for 15k? or do you need to change it 2-3 times but just use the same filter... and if you do use the same filter do you still need to remove the filter and empty it or do you leave it on and just drain and refill the oil?

and does it last 15k with conventional oil or only synthetic?

The filter and the oil are 2 diff things. The filter can, most oils can't. I run a 10k oil, use 1 Ultra for that and stop. Suppose you could use it for 2 5k dinos. Some say leave it on don't touch it I remove it not do drain the oil, just so it doesn't get stuck. I re-oil the gasket, put it back.

My experience is this filter is likely over 99% @20um by 8-9k. Many on here say flow is no issue as a filter loads up and becomes crazy efficient. I'm not one of those people. I think a filter can become a flow impedance, and think you should stop at 10k. Don't know your engine condition, or if this is your first syn run, so maybe even 10k is too far.

Last edited:
I'd take it as a 1 filter/multiple oil drains.
I actually ran a Wix for 2 oil changes about 13k on my car. The second time around the UOA showed it to be slightly more efficent. It was an experiment, I would not say that I could say for certainty that an oil filter become more effective with use. To many varibles.

"up to" implies factors... oil, engine, driving conditions etc. Under ideal conditions, should last if not loaded up.

I'm with Leaky here....

Yes the filter becomes more efficient the more dirt it catches
And of course, flow has to be reduced.

Reduced enough to matter? I don't know....

Your going to have a hard time plugging up a Fram Ultra. If your the average BITOG'er then your engine is probably on the cleaner side of the spectrum then your contamination output shouldn't be excessive and the Ultra is a premium filter designed for extended drains.

Its not rocket science, just cut open the filter and inspect it. You can get a really good idea of how hard your pushing your filter by how it looks or how plugged up it is.

"dual layer synthetic media" - 3d depth media should not be as affected as cellulose regarding flow and caking over time.

15k should be no issue. Jim's tests show that it is VERY hard to get an 'economy' filter to plug up enough to bypass.

I will now run Bosch Premium and WIX 2x OCIs up to 15k miles along with the remaining Fram Ultra I have stocked. Filters just don't load up as we're led to believe.

Quoted from Motorking in another thread, seems relevant here.

Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM. Thank you for using our companies products. The additive basket in the HM filter is made by lubrisol, it is an outgrowth of the TRT Heavy Duty filters we make for fleet use. The additive maintains PH balance on acid and soot challenged engines in the HD market and extends drain intervals. The HM filter does the same on tired gas engines. The Ultra filter is designed for use with Synthetic oil. It has between 22-32 grams capacity depending on can size, is 99% efficient at 20 microns using ISO 4548-12 testing. The Ultra is a stainless steel screen backed dual layer synthetic media, a cartridge that is better than anything else in the market. There are comparable filters from Amsoil, Royal Purple, Bosch Distance except all of those cost nearly double or more than Ultra. Happy to answer your questions at [email protected]

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3044753#Post3044753

realize I am resurrecting old thread here but if I invest in a Fram Ultra for 7 to 9 bucks, then I should have no problem running 2 OCI or about 12,000 miles on my Accord?

I don't care as much about saving the few bucks as I do about not having to remove the oil filter and clean up mess etc on every other OC. Would be nice!

Also can I use it for my Odyssey that uses dino or semi-syn oil? I assume when it says "engineered for synthetic oil" that it can also work fine with normal oil?

Originally Posted By: Hogan773
realize I am resurrecting old thread here but if I invest in a Fram Ultra for 7 to 9 bucks, then I should have no problem running 2 OCI or about 12,000 miles on my Accord?

The Ultra will do 12K miles total with ease over 2x OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Hogan773

I don't care as much about saving the few bucks as I do about not having to remove the oil filter and clean up mess etc on every other OC. Would be nice!

Also can I use it for my Odyssey that uses dino or semi-syn oil? I assume when it says "engineered for synthetic oil" that it can also work fine with normal oil?

Use whatever oil with whatever filter.

*Weeell.. coconut oil and a coffee filter probably wont work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back