The Buick Grand National & GNX for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
A two door option might be nice.

THIS!!^^^

So, do all of the import fanboy/GM & domestic HATERZ on here also think that ALL of the; Nippon, Korean, etc. styling is the best thing since sliced bread??
confused2.gif

I do like the fender bulges/flares on this, and as long as one can get the turbo, AWD, AND a 6 speed manual ALL together, I think it will be KILLER, and superior to all of the 'importees'' faves/choices.
wink.gif
34.gif

I can see how all of the T-Type/GN/GNX fans/faithful would have a hard time with that badge on this, but the general is NOT going to put out another solid axle, RWD, turboed midsize sedan EVER again, sad as that may be, so "get over it".

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think it's great. It follows the fad of overly-styled midsize sedans to my eyes, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the mechanical bits are excellent.

GM had the same reaction with the GTO. People wanted a RWD coupe with a large V-8 engine that wasn't a Camaro. We said, "gee, I wish the General would sell HERE what they sell over THERE as Holdens." We got our wish, and the GTO was subsequently panned by the press.

Here we have an excellent midsize sedan, with manual transmission options, and turbocharged engines. These are things that enthusiasts like us crave. C'mon people!
smile.gif

THANK YOU!! (We finally agree on something at least.
smile.gif
)

I haven't owned a GM since the mid 90's, but I really like what Buick and Cadillac are putting out these days and this GN & GNX look and sound like they will be very sweet rides....I like 'em!

GM had the same reaction with the GTO. People wanted a RWD coupe with a large V-8 engine that wasn't a Camaro. We said, "gee, I wish the General would sell HERE what they sell over THERE as Holdens." We got our wish, and the GTO was subsequently panned by the press.

No one had a problem with the car that they sold here as the GTO.
The problem was this:

They took a very exclusive name, the GTO, and they slapped it on the back end of a vehicle that looked like a Chevy Lumina. Doesn't matter that this particular car had a big old V-8 in it, it looked exactly like a 2 door Chevy Lumina, and it had a Pontiac GTO badge on it.

It would have been better served if it was named the Chevy Nova SS, or something like that, since they already had the Monte Carlo name in place for the 2 door version of the Lumina.

But no, instead, they gave it Chevy looks, a Pontiac badge, and it took away from the Pontiac GTO heritage.

The same exact thing will happen if they give that 4 door Buick a Grand National/GNX badge. It will demean the GN/GNX nameplate, severely.

BC.

GNX with a 420-hp TT V6 that the tuners will likely bump up to about 500? And it's available with a stick-shift? Let me sell a kidney and half my liver to buy one...

I don't care it's 4 doors. The Alpha platform in Caddy ATS guise has shown it has the chops to out-handle a BMW 328 or 335. And there's a place to stick a few car seats or young kids when it's performing school/daycare duty. Then smoke most other cars on the commute in. Sweet!

I know this is bobistheoilguy and GM can't get a break here, but jeeez... give GM a break.

The rendering was done by CAR and DRIVER! See the part where it says "Illustrations by Radovan Varicak"? Yeah... Radovan Varicak isn't General Motors.

Notice that the C&D didn't link to any press release? That's because GM has not announced the return of a performance Buick in any official capacity. This is Car and Driver speculation, not based on a GM announcement.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

The problem was this:

They took a very exclusive name, the GTO, and they slapped it on the back end of a vehicle that looked like a Chevy Lumina. Doesn't matter that this particular car had a big old V-8 in it, it looked exactly like a 2 door Chevy Lumina, and it had a Pontiac GTO badge on it.

It would have been better served if it was named the Chevy Nova SS, or something like that, since they already had the Monte Carlo name in place for the 2 door version of the Lumina.

But no, instead, they gave it Chevy looks, a Pontiac badge, and it took away from the Pontiac GTO heritage.

The same exact thing will happen if they give that 4 door Buick a Grand National/GNX badge. It will demean the GN/GNX nameplate, severely.

BC.

That last gen GTO was faster, handled better, and stopped better than any previous version. What heritage do you want? A big box with [censored] brakes that runs 13.90's in the form of a 69 Judge? Ok you can have it. Looks great and is a blast to drive but no different than the last Gen GTO.

The original GTO looked like a bunch of other GM cars from that time period. People only remember what they want to.

I love a GN/GNX but again they were great in the 80's and took some mods to run 12's and stop like a current car.

Seems to me stuff just keeps getting better, but if GM does it well you are [censored] if you do [censored] if you don't.

Personally I think this new Buick is a bit overdone, but I like it and it will be a screamer, but it will also handle well and stop very nicely.

Compared to rest of the stuff on the market now, I think it will be hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

THIS!!^^^

So, do all of the import fanboy/GM & domestic HATERZ on here also think that ALL of the; Nippon, Korean, etc. styling is the best thing since sliced bread??
confused2.gif

I do like the fender bulges/flares on this, and as long as one can get the turbo, AWD, AND a 6 speed manual ALL together, I think it will be KILLER, and superior to all of the 'importees'' faves/choices.
wink.gif
34.gif

I can see how all of the T-Type/GN/GNX fans/faithful would have a hard time with that badge on this, but the general is NOT going to put out another solid axle, RWD, turboed midsize sedan EVER again, sad as that may be, so "get over it".

WHOA WHOA WHOA... whoa. Eaaassssyyyy killer. Don't talk bad about the imports. The import police are going to come and mess you up. You don't argue fit, finish and quality is vastly superior to any domestic car, shoot even a Rolls Royce.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

The problem was this:

BC.

That last gen GTO was faster, handled better, and stopped better than any previous version. What heritage do you want? A big box with [censored] brakes that runs 13.90's in the form of a 69 Judge? Ok you can have it. Looks great and is a blast to drive but no different than the last Gen GTO.

The original GTO looked like a bunch of other GM cars from that time period. People only remember what they want to.

I love a GN/GNX but again they were great in the 80's and took some mods to run 12's and stop like a current car.

Seems to me stuff just keeps getting better, but if GM does it well you are [censored] if you do [censored] if you don't.

Personally I think this new Buick is a bit overdone, but I like it and it will be a screamer, but it will also handle well and stop very nicely.

Compared to rest of the stuff on the market now, I think it will be hard to beat.

Exactly. It's amazing how some forget just how slow/poor performing some of those old card were, even if they had a giant, loud and thirsty engine.

Just like the GTO, the purist will complain. If they call it something else, it would probably sell better.

IIRC, the GTO had to have it's fuel tank moved, meaning you lost the pass through from the rear seat and ended up with a very small trunk.

I agree, it was a much better car than the "historic" GTOs. But it wasn't without some serious compromises as well.

The G8 was a better attempt, but that was probably too little, too late as Pontiac was soon after scrapped as a brand.

While it would have been better as a 2-door, the point still remains that it's a hotted-up version of a already very capable chassis, and has a TT V6 with bonkers power driving the rear wheels through a row-your-own transmission.

And, lest we forget, the Regal GS already looks like it'll rip your head off even though it makes do with 160 fewer ponies. That's assuming the TTV6 makes the 420 ponies it can make in other GM vehicles. If GM manages to make the GNX look even more sinister, which it will in all black, I'll overlook the 4 doors.

My car is proof that it is foolish to dismiss 4 doors as performing vehicles. Practical too.

This new Buick will no doubt look great to some and bad to others. Who cares?

It will outperform the old memories in every way, power, performance, comfort, ergonomics, safety, and fuel economy. The new 3.6 twin turbo from GM will be turning a whole new generation of lucky GM owners on to what a great performance car can be!

The problem was this:

I don't mean this in disrespect to you personally, but...HELLO? That's what the original GTO was! It was essentially a two-door Tempest, which itself was...an intermediate midsize sedan sold by General Motors. The new GTO was a two-door Commodore and looked like a Chevy Lumina, which themselves both are...intermediate midsize sedans sold by General Motors.

The very premise of the GTO, the only reason it was so cool, was it was a plain-jane two-door midsize with big tires, big pistons, and big power. That's EXACTLY what the new GTO was. It was a plain-jane two-door midsize with big tires, big pistons, and big power. It had a spoiler, it had big dual exhaust (at least some of them did), it had hood scoops. I actually can't think of a truer interpretation of the original than the GTO that GM put out in 2004. The new GTO is EXACTLY what the old GTO was. Exactly.

THANK YOU!! (We finally agree on something at least.
smile.gif
)

It is possible for one person to like cars from more than one continent.
wink.gif

Someone who likes imports isn't necessarily a domestiq h8tr...
cheers3.gif

I like to think that I can see the "cool" in anything.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

thumbsup2.gif

It is possible for one person to like cars from more than one continent.
wink.gif

Someone who likes imports isn't necessarily a domestiq h8tr...
cheers3.gif

I like to think that I can see the "cool" in anything.

thumbsup2.gif
I liked this one too!

THIS!!^^^

confused2.gif

Yep, that's the point. Not everyone who wants a two door performance car wants a Mustang or Camaro or Vette. Something a little bit different, like a two door GNX type thing, would be great!

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
You knew it was only a matter of time before GM brought back all of their "glory" nameplates."

Obviously, 442 did not make the cut.

What would 442 stand for today? 4 cylinder, 4 tires, and the power of a 2 cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back