TCW3 for DI Gas Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Subaru FA20 D4-S Direct Injected engine. With the 10% ethanol gas in this area the DI pump is really noisy, the engine sound a lot like a diesel.

I know diesel fuel has inherent lubrication and have been diesel engines have been direct injected for years, also that in Japan where my engine was developed the gas probably has more lubricity due to no ethanol.

So I' thinking an ounce of TCW3 may be a good idea for this engine.Anyone else using TCW3 with a DI gas engine and E10 gas?

Top oil causes fuel droplet agglomeration with attendant loss of efficieny and octane. I wouldnt go anywhere near a high technology engine with that stuff. The noise is due to extremely high fuel pressure rail resonace. You'll have to get used to it.

Last edited:
It is a very big and ungrounded assumption that 10% EtOH is causing the noise. I highly doubt that youve done enough bac to back studies to say that for certain.

Ive run TCW-3 in my 135i, primarily because I dont use it much in the winter, so it is somewhat of a preservative. I generally run something else though, or nothing at all. I definitely saw a wet soot on the exhaust pipes when running TCW-3, that I dont see running anything else.

e4f3c962.jpg

69551b22.jpg

I ran a treated tank of Lubro-Moly Valve Clean on my Fit, thus skipping a tank of TC-W3 treated gas in a long while.

After I used the tank up of Valve Clean I then filled up with 3 oz. of TC-W3 rather than my normal 2.

The car seems to build power very nice with the TC-W3 and I don't get any ill affects.

The soot mentioned above is the first case I have seen of someone noticing unclean burn with TC-W3.

I'll have to keep that in mind in the future for DI engines...

BUT I would try a few tanks of 2 oz. per tank of TCW3 to see if it helps, and keep an eye on the exhaust tips to see if the TCW3 is not burning completely.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it. I haven't done tcw3 but I have done mmo with adverse effects in my di. I think the thick nature had a negative impact on the fuel vaporizing properly coming out of the high pressure injectors.

Since engine blow by and egr air is a major contribution to DI valve deposits, I surely would NOT want to add more oil to the gas....

Note: I own a 3.6DI Cadillac CTS and all I do as a preventative maintenance is just before every oil change I will spray a full can of intake/carb cleaner thru the intake while the engine is running. This cleaning solution goes thru the intake and over the valves. I usually see gray water dripping from the exhaust when I do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Since engine blow by and egr air is a major contribution to DI valve deposits, I surely would NOT want to add more oil to the gas....

Note: I own a 3.6DI Cadillac CTS and all I do as a preventative maintenance is just before every oil change I will spray a full can of intake/carb cleaner thru the intake while the engine is running. This cleaning solution goes thru the intake and over the valves. I usually see gray water dripping from the exhaust when I do it.

I do not have a DI engine, but after seeing some many soot and deposit report, I would definitely remove such away from fuel.
I also remember spray intake cleaner and notice the exhaust is very wet and dripping water, and I am wondering why? is the content in the intake cleaner create so much moist??

Aren't you afraid the possibility of causing damage to the engine in the long term doing this?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Aren't you afraid the possibility of causing damage to the engine in the long term doing this?

Not in the least. Just a decarboninzation. Not unlike VW/AUDI dealers do to their DI vehicles as a regular maintenance. Running carb cleaner thru the intake with engine running is safe. I do it in small bursts.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Not in the least. Just a decarboninzation. Not unlike VW/AUDI dealers do to their DI vehicles as a regular maintenance. Running carb cleaner thru the intake with engine running is safe. I do it in small bursts.

Ok. I guess it goes with owning a DI vehicle. If it helps and does no harm, then why not? The whole point of maintenance is to avoid problems. Good on you!

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but that isn't cleaning anything on your car that matters. The intake treatments can clean up some soft deposits but the deposits that form on intake valves are not soft. It has been shown in several places that these intake treatments don't accomplish anything of merit. Running it for 20+ minutes above 4k RPMs or so will get you results, though.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but that isn't cleaning anything on your car that matters. The intake treatments can clean up some soft deposits but the deposits that form on intake valves are not soft. It has been shown in several places that these intake treatments don't accomplish anything of merit. Running it for 20+ minutes above 4k RPMs or so will get you results, though.

I know what you say is true. GM, so far, has not had the issues with deposits like Audi but I err on being safe and figure any little treatment I do has to help some. I know my intake is clean
smile.gif

I know what you say is true. GM, so far, has not had the issues with deposits like Audi but I err on being safe and figure any little treatment I do has to help some. I know my intake is clean
smile.gif

I don't blame you there. Sometimes the fun/good feeling factor is worth it alone. We are almost all tweakers on this board anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back