If you use a stop-leak and there is none?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say that after flushing Taurus, that I put in a bottle of Blue Devil Pour-N-Go. Can it hurt?

Or could it help seal my possibly slightly porous cooling system? (Real or imagined)

Yes, some of the rubber hoses are dry-rotted and cracked, (surging, I feel vacuum leak, sometimes not so much sometimes big, could be that, WHILE DRIVING, though maybe at idle too) but this car HAS overheated prior to its new parts, and there may be some kind of small leak that will get bigger if all the way unadressed.

There are products designed for that purpose - and blue devil is not one of them.

Try some GM cooling system sealer pellets. They're ground up ginger root.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There are products designed for that purpose - and blue devil is not one of them.

Try some GM cooling system sealer pellets. They're ground up ginger root.

The GM stuff is good - Bar's Leaks makes the same product - available at NAPA - 6 pellets for $2.99.

Heater cores on Tauruses (especially with the vulcan) are known for rusting up. Actually, the entire cooling system on the Vulcans corrodes.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Heater cores on Tauruses (especially with the vulcan) are known for rusting up. Actually, the entire cooling system on the Vulcans corrodes.

I seem to remember back in the day there was an add-on hose kit for flushing the heater lines.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
So you bought that pile even after I warned you not to?

All you said was that Taurus was definitely on Top 5 list of least favorite cars for you. And I needed a car.

Anyways, to further support my "engine cooling" theory, I added in some antifreeze, and it appears to run smoother. Heat-related?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I seem to remember back in the day there was an add-on hose kit for flushing the heater lines.

And you need a garden hose with running water for it, right? I don't have that. Can only drain/fill

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

One of my Jeeps came into my possession with one of those. They turn brittle and have a high chance of rupturing when they get old. I'm not saying that the flush kit won't work. I am saying that wouldn't keep it on there for too many years. (I actually think Prestone made that kit)

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: Chris142
So you bought that pile even after I warned you not to?

All you said was that Taurus was definitely on Top 5 list of least favorite cars for you. And I needed a car.

Ya well I thought you would get the hint.
grin.gif
the heater hoses/pipes on these cars has a built in bypass. If the heater gets plugged it starves a head of coolant so they put a pipe between the hoses. Go look on your firewall to see what I mean.

And since rusty coolant is acidic your going to need to do the heater core. Go to youtube and type in taurus heater core shortcut to save yourself an afternoon of work.

Stop leak as a preventative on a beater is something that I would do and have done. It's not like I pour in a whole bottle of stop leak, I out in maybe 1/5 a bottle. In moderation yes.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Stop leak as a preventative on a beater is something that I would do and have done. It's not like I pour in a whole bottle of stop leak, I out in maybe 1/5 a bottle. In moderation yes.

I would personally only use the original Bar's Leak tabs/GM tabs/other rebrands of the same product.

I don't think I would ever pour in any of the liquid stuff, especially as a preventative measure. Unless they have one that's just a liquid version of the tabs, but I don't think I've seen that. But, I would use the tabs, and I have in the past. The liquids often don't look like something I would want in any engine of mine. If the leak is a head gasket or something too large for the tabs to stop, then the vehicle needs a real repair, plain and simple.

That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back