Are CAPA certified tail lights worth extra $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The driver side tail light lens on the GP is cracked and a big chunk would have fallen off if it weren't for the weatherstripping around the perimeter. I tried gluing it up but that did not work. Looking on Rockauto, I can get a "Regular Inventory" TYC brand taillight assembly for $74 or a CAPA certified unit, also from TYC, for $97. Is the CAPA certification worth the extra $23? It looks like they are the same part, as they do not have separate part numbers and you instead choose between the two from a drop-down menu.

And no, I am not going to pay $180 for a single OEM unit.

I'd buy the cheap one, and if you're not happy with the quality when you receive it - send it back!

From what I've read online, go with the less expensive. Apparently CAPA units are supposed to fit better for repair work; not worth it unless the other unit doesn't fit right.

I did notice a color difference in a cheap replacement that I got for my Trailblazer. it was especially noticeable once it was lit up

Yeah, TYC lights are pretty different when you compare to OEM. On the Trailblazer, the OE is tinted whereas the TYC not so much. Difference is especially noticable when you look at the reverse light.

Personally I'd go with a clean used unit, or buy two sets so they match.

The part number doesn't mean much, sometimes generic stuff copies a name brand part number. See it on brake parts, oil filters, etc.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The part number doesn't mean much, sometimes generic stuff copies a name brand part number. See it on brake parts, oil filters, etc.

Your right. I put a CAPA on my GTP and both had the same part#. The non CAPA was made in China, the fit was poor and didn't look right (returned), the CAPA was Mexico made and fit and look was OEM.

CAPA certified is the real deal.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Yeah, TYC lights are pretty different when you compare to OEM. On the Trailblazer, the OE is tinted whereas the TYC not so much. Difference is especially noticable when you look at the reverse light.

Personally I'd go with a clean used unit, or buy two sets so they match.

THIS. I saw a late model Focus the other day that had a replacement tail lamp, while the other was OEM. The red brake/turn signal portion looked pretty similar when unlit (I could see a few minor differences in the plastic refractor "lensing"), but the clear reverse portion was way clearer and brighter on the aftermarket unit, whereas that portion on the OEM unit is clear but has a darkened area in it. Kind of hard to explain. You had to look to notice, and I'm guessing most people probably wouldn't be observant enough to care. But most likely, they will not match exactly. Fitment, depending on the vehicle, can be an issue, as I have experienced with cheap headlight housings before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back