New Roku 3 ...thinking about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ That's what we've been doing forever...
we never had any cable. OTA HD channels via a good rabbit ear indoor antenna are great for catching the news and some shows on the available local channels and NBC, FOX etc.
The rest - NF and Amazon prime.

I added a whole bunch of movies and TV shows to my Prime queue last night...

So far we have only paid for one Amazon OD movie which was not on prime (zero dark thirty) - next one will be Hobbit. But other than those occasional nights where we can't wait until it's out on DVD, it's Prime all the way, or NF.

I looked at the Twonky link and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make that work on any Roku. The key is it connects via Wi-Fi to the same LAN that your Rokus are on, so it should be able to "see" any of them, whether they're a Roku HD, Roku 2, Roku 3, etc.

By the way, I am somewhat unimpressed by the type of content on Amazon Prime. It seems that the stuff we want to watch is all pay-per-view. Seems like everything we find on Amazon, whether it's old sit-coms like Family Matters or Full House, or old kids' shows like Mister Rogers, are all $1.99/episode. We have watched a goodly number of movies for free on Prime, but the TV content on Prime appears to be mostly pay-per-view, which is annoying to us. We'll probably keep our Prime account status, only because I think we do get the value back out of it with free shipping on Amazon.

Yeah the free shipping was the main reason we started Prime in the 1st place...I agree the selection there is not great or very recent..BUT they're growing. Prime is the only streaming service allowed to stream seasons of Downton Abbey from now on, for example - they bought exclusive rights for that one, and for all future seasons starting with s-3 which we're currently watching, too.
This, IMO is one of the signs that they will continue to grow. It was a big blow to NF and Hulu, etc.

Alias, is another rather new series which is on Prime for free.

Last edited:
We currently subscribe to all three (Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime). Each very much has content that is not available on the other. We're really not into the primetime dramas, but we do enjoy watching some sit-coms, and especially some older sit-coms. Anyone remember Major Dad, for example? I watched that as a kid, and now my kids are enjoying the heck out of that series. It's only on Hulu Plus.

It's odd how some services have some things and others have other things. Combine all three, plus high speed broadband, and we're still into it for about what we used to pay many years ago for basic piped cable (about $70/month all in).

I will enjoy watching the selection of programming on each of these three services grow as they become more popular.

^ That has so many advantages - Deciding not to have cable is only one of them
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think your approach works because you probably do not have teenage sons who wants ESPNs :)

If I had teenage sons who wanted ESPN, and I didn't, I'd gladly allow them to mow some lawns in the neighborhood to make the money to pay for ESPN (seriously). I do get what you're saying, but if the able-bodied sons are who want the cable, there are ways for them to make money to get it.

I also watch nothing but sports. I can't cut cable until there is an ESPN option, and I am NOT buying an Xbox just to use WatchESPN.

Question for the Roku 3 users out here... does yours occasionally hang up or freeze, requiring a reboot?

I just got mine yesterday, and it froze twice in just the first hour. First time when using Plex app, and second time when trying to play something in Vevo channel. The first time it hang so badly, I couldn't even use the remote key combination to force a reboot. I had to unplug the power. Second time, it just rebooted itself.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Question for the Roku 3 users out here... does yours occasionally hang up or freeze, requiring a reboot?

Occasionally? Yes. In my case, "occasionally" means probably a handful of times since we bought it about two years ago. I find it to be a very stable device, given that it's always on or in some sort of a suspended state.

The few times it has become unresponsive over the past two years, I just pull the plug on the back and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in.

Thanks.

On a positive note, playback from Plex on Roku 3 is much smoother than on Chromecast. When the camera is quickly panning side to side, playback on Chromecast is somewhat choppy.

I just got mine yesterday, and it froze twice in just the first hour. First time when using Plex app, and second time when trying to play something in Vevo channel. The first time it hang so badly, I couldn't even use the remote key combination to force a reboot. I had to unplug the power. Second time, it just rebooted itself.

I have never required a reboot. (Have owned it since Roku 3 first came out, I think)

FYI, a new version of Roku 3 is out, now featuring a voice remote. And a new version of Roku 2 now has the same hardware as old Roku 3, minus the voice remote.

I agree with the article: the new Roku 2 is a great value. I'm loving that these high quality boxes (it and the Apple TV) are now closer to $50 than $100.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Well I guess it was the last update? read somewhere that the app will be updated too... Perhaps not yet?

The Android version of the Roku app has just been updated to include voice search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back