Bar's Leaks Jack Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had given up on a 25yo Harbor Freight/Central Hydraulics floor jack a decade ago because it was leaking at the Plunger. For the heck of it I drained the old fluid and added "Bar's Leaks Jack Oil" from walmart. Tried jacking the car, leaked all over the place. Tried again a few weeks later, same thing. Yesterday I had some time, was going to take the jack apart and replace the plunger washers. Jacked the car up, just a tiny leak now. Not even a drip under the jack.

Is Bar's Leaks Jack Oil for real? Anyone else use this stuff?

THANK YOU!!!!! I have exactly the same situation with a similar floor jack. It is a rescued jack, it works fine, it just leaks at the plunger.

I treated it as I would HM oil in an engine. That top offs are too diluted to be effective. So I pulled the plug, flipped it over, drained all the oil and refilled with the Bar's Leaks Jack Oil. And just like HM oil in an engine, the results appear to be delayed, happen over time. Takes time to swell the seals. Could be why some think its snake oil and give up. Because they were expecting an instant miracle. Plan to use jack again in another week, hopefully its completely stopped.

I wouldnt want to find out it doesnt hold pressure when it comes down... Wonder if Bars Leaks will pay medical bills.

Yes, never trust a bottle jack with your life. Even more so with a faulty one. Once they get to this point of disrepair I don't even know if I would trust them with my expensive autos.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I wouldnt want to find out it doesnt hold pressure when it comes down... Wonder if Bars Leaks will pay medical bills.

Its just the loss of oil on the floor from the plunger I don't like. The rest is fine. Its the o-ring seals. Have all of them for a repair. Not that hard. Had to do the new one after 6 only months. Its the main reason new Chinese jacks fail, leak, are so unreliable. Sloppy builds, o-rings torn or popping out, etc. Prefer to rebuild it myself so I know the seals are in right. But if Bar's Leaks Jack Oil works and it was just a loss of viscosity or some dried seals over the years, will leave it alone for now.

I like having 2 floor jacks. And I like old orange better than my new one. Very stable, heavy metal that weighs as much as it lifts
grin.gif
Has the big saucer. Its good for a small lift where I don't go underneath like changing the oil. If I have to go underneath or remove the wheels I use stands.

Update: The old jack is not leaking at all now, just a tiny bit damp at the plunger. Which is ok actually. So... Bar's Leaks Jack Oil works. Performed just like high mileage oil, took a approx a month to see results. It was easy to drain and fill the jack fluid, took 5 mins. Plan to drain and fill again in a few weeks. Mayeb blend it with regular jack oil. Jack oil is so cheap I can't believe I was ignoring that.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Yes, never trust a bottle jack with your life. Even more so with a faulty one. Once they get to this point of disrepair I don't even know if I would trust them with my expensive autos.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Agree - the Jack's only purpose is to get the vehicle on jack stands. THEN figure out a second mechanism to support the vehicle if the jack stand fails. Then leave the jack in place also.

When I'm doing stuff where I NEED the vehicle jacked up a bit, I try to err on the side of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back