Mowing direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some mowers like Hondas recommend when mulching and discharging to mow counter clockwise, but when bagging mow clockwise. The blade turns clockwise as viewed from the flywheel. Which ever direction you mow, you'll be reversing directions on other side of the lawn. Why would it make a difference?

Other sources say to change your mowing pattern every time you mow because the grass develops a grain and grows toward the direction you mow.

I think it is because if you mow one way the back side of the blade cuts the grass, giving less of a clean cut where the Sun and insects can dry the grass out more.

Also, the grass is thrown to the opposite side of the chute as it is cutting away from it.

I am just thinking of how it works when you pull a "push mower" backwards over a lawn.

Ok I put more thought into it.

If you mow counter-clock, the mulch and discharge gets thrown away from the lawnmower so each pass you aren't picking up all your previous clippings to, again, be thrown onto uncut grass where it is cut and picked up bogging down the mower.

But, if you are bagging, any small amount lost at the bagged chute has another pass to get picked up in the bag by cutting clockwise.

It does actually make sense their recommendation. Never gave it any thought either!

(this is assuming the chute is at the right hand side of the mower)

Last edited:
Current Honda mowers except for the HRS series (the least expensive push only models) are rear discharge.

I'll have to read my manual and see what it says.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I think it is because if you mow one way the back side of the blade cuts the grass, giving less of a clean cut where the Sun and insects can dry the grass out more.

Dude! If you're cutting with the back side of the blade you'd best get those Shikon no Tama shards out of your legs before Naraku finds you.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Ok I put more thought into it.

...and came up with a much more sensible explanation.

As long as you're not side discharging the clippings to where you are about to mow and are mulching, I don't see how it makes a difference. Since the blade is turning clockwise, if you mow counter clockwise the grass may initially be cut or thrown into the direction you have mowed. But whether mowing clockwise or counter clockwise it would seem the blade cuts the grass mostly at right angles or from behind anyway. And the blade turns in a circle cutting and throwing the grass around, so what difference would it really make in mulching?

And why would bagging work better clockwise?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Current Honda mowers except for the HRS series (the least expensive push only models) are rear discharge.

I'll have to read my manual and see what it says.

I'm not sure if every model of Honda mower's owner's manual mentions mowing direction, but Honda recommends mowing clockwise for rear discharge and bagging and counter clock wise for mulching.

Honda still has a side discharge single-speed self propelled and a push rear-discharge available. But yeah the side discharge are a little less expensive as they don't come with a bag. But they are about the same quality as the rear discharge.

I prefer side discharge because the deck is lighter and I don't bag anyway. I don't discharge either but I especially don't like "rear discharge" decks that use a side discharge. I don't think Honda rear discharge do that though.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Honda still has a side discharge single-speed self propelled and a push rear-discharge available. But yeah the side discharge are a little less expensive as they don't come with a bag. But they are about the same quality as the rear discharge.

So they do... I actually didn't realize there was a push only HRR series.

A quick perusal of the online version of my manual doesn't seem to mention mowing direction save for hills...

I'm with you though, I don't really see why it would matter...
confused.gif

I first mow around the edges, sidewalks, flower beds, etc...
This tosses the clippings out in the yard, clockwise.

I then turn around, counterclockwise, and toss the clippings where I have been..

You will find that if you are mulching with that Honda, it tends to leave the trail of clippings on the LEFT side of the lawn mower. Why it does this, I do not know. But it definitely does. So the recommendation to mow counter-clockwise is made so that you pick up that trail of clippings on each subsequent pass so you don't have windrows of grass clippings in your yard.

My staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy is the opposite. When mulching, it leaves the trail of clippings on the RIGHT side of the lawn mower. So the recommendation is to mow clockwise, so that trail of clippings is picked up on each subsequent pass.

This trail, however, is only left if you're mulching tall grass. I mow frequently enough where there's never really a trail left behind; as long as there is no trail left behind, it doesn't really matter which direction you mow. In fact, I usually don't mow in a circular pattern, and usually mow one straight stripe, turn around 180 degrees and mow the next straight stripe, etc. Why? Because I'm incredibly OCD and I never liked the wheel tracks left behind when you inevitably mow yourself into the center of the yard when doing it in a circle. You have to cross a straight stripe *somewhere*. I always liked mowing left to right for that reason, and I could get the mower off the yard on one side or the other without having to cross it.

Yeah...I'm sick.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yeah...I'm sick.

Me too. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. When the grass is actively growing, with plenty of moisture available, I will often mow every 48 hours. 72 hours just lets it get out of control.

Interestingly, I am mowing with my first Honda this year, after several Toros. As thick as my grass is, I left the trail of clippings you mentioned when rear discharging, but not when mulching, which is the opposite of the Toros. So I am mulching 100% of the time so far, whereas I side discharged with the Toros. The Honda is the best performing mulcher I've ever had, by a fair margin.

I also rotate the direction of the "stripes" by 45 degrees with each mowing.

Last edited:
You will find that if you are mulching with that Honda, it tends to leave the trail of clippings on the LEFT side of the lawn mower. Why it does this, I do not know. But it definitely does. So the recommendation to mow counter-clockwise is made so that you pick up that trail of clippings on each subsequent pass so you don't have windrows of grass clippings in your yard.

To mow counter-clockwise because the mower leaves clippings on the left side is a plausible explanation. But what's strange is that the side discharge is on right side and the front/leading edge of the blade is turning clockwise or right. You would think that would mean the clippings would clump to the right. But the counter argument could be that right side is where the clippings have the most momentum and volume and that's why the side discharge is on the right and when mulching the clippings clump on the left. Also the effect the mower deck has on the clippings is probably a factor to clumping.

It also assumes you will mow over a portion of the previous cut area to pick up any clumps. When side discharging the suggestion is to mow counter-clockwise too so as not to discharge into the cut area. That makes sense for discharging but I guess then re-mowing over clippings is not a goal lol.

I just wonder if mulching counter-clockwise the operation of the blade and deck just mulches the grass better and leaves less stand ups irrespective of any clippings trail. Honda sort of suggest that, but goes into no real details or explanation of why that would be.

Quote:
My staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy is the opposite. When mulching, it leaves the trail of clippings on the RIGHT side of the lawn mower. So the recommendation is to mow clockwise, so that trail of clippings is picked up on each subsequent pass.

And doesn't that mower have a Honda engine (and blade?)? So the blade spin direction doesn't seem to be the deciding factor, and even if it isn't a Honda motor I think most mower motors turn clockwise anyway.

Quote:
This trail, however, is only left if you're mulching tall grass. I mow frequently enough where there's never really a trail left behind; as long as there is no trail left behind, it doesn't really matter which direction you mow.

Not to discount the trail suggestion, but I don't mow that regularly, usually mulch clockwise and I haven't really noticed a trail. Maybe my grass while tall, isn't that thick. I do get some stand ups though (I realize that's also a factor of the grass and blade sharpness and condition). So back to what I said earlier, I wonder if mulching counter-clockwise might some how mulch the clippings finer and also leave less stand ups.

Quote:
In fact, I usually don't mow in a circular pattern, and usually mow one straight stripe, turn around 180 degrees and mow the next straight stripe, etc. Why? Because I'm incredibly OCD and I never liked the wheel tracks left behind when you inevitably mow yourself into the center of the yard when doing it in a circle. You have to cross a straight stripe *somewhere*. I always liked mowing left to right for that reason, and I could get the mower off the yard on one side or the other without having to cross it.

Yeah...I'm sick.

I see some others do that and it leaves a nice straight lines looks. I mow circular/rectangle. Then the yard doesn't have noticeable lines. It just seems like a lot more work constantly doing sharp 180s especially up against obstacles like a fence. Is it really? Not really sure but I think it's easier to do two 90s (actually I try to round these turns to less than 90 degrees for speed), meanwhile cutting the ends so the distance is shortening. It seems more efficient and I'm all for being efficient
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Yeah...I'm sick.

Me too. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. When the grass is actively growing, with plenty of moisture available, I will often mow every 48 hours. 72 hours just lets it get out of control.

Interestingly, I am mowing with my first Honda this year, after several Toros. As thick as my grass is, I left the trail of clippings you mentioned when rear discharging, but not when mulching, which is the opposite of the Toros. So I am mulching 100% of the time so far, whereas I side discharged with the Toros. The Honda is the best performing mulcher I've ever had, by a fair margin.

I also rotate the direction of the "stripes" by 45 degrees with each mowing.

What Toros were they, recyclers or super recyclers? And what Honda model? Most people say Toros are tops in mulching. Although some claim Hondas are good mulchers. Others say the Honda self-propelled mulchers lack power.

I have been unimpressed with my Honda mower's mulching. It only has one mulching blade, but so does my other mulcher and it's not even known to be a greater mulching model but seems to mulch better, except it throws fine particles and dust all over the mower. The Honda stays clean on top if nothing else. It's strange that you say your Honda mulches better than the Toros, but you say you discharged with the Toros and they didn't leave a trail. I guess you say the Toros left a trail when mulching but not when discharging.

And the $64,000 question. Do you mulch with your Honda clockwise or counter clockwise or neither? Oh yeah just seen you said you rotate 45 degrees. Regarding the clumps when discharging with the Honda. They recommend mowing clockwise when rear discharging.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What Toros were they, recyclers or super recyclers? And what Honda model? Others say the Honda self-propelled mulchers lack power.

I believe the last Toro was a super recycler, I know it had personal pace and electric start.

Honda is HRX217HYA, it has the GCV 190 engine.

The Toro mulching was fine until the grass got a little long and/or damp. So far, the Honda has been handling that stuff better.

My Honda doesn't have a side discharge option. It's a "high tunnel" alloy deck with a solid side on both sides. I have a mulch plug for it and a bag. I usually bag. The Honda I have is not the best mulcher I've ever used. I also do have the twin-blades that came with the mulching kit, but I don't use them. Instead, I use a high-lift bagging blade, and let me tell you...that mower will bag some grass. It will suck anything off the ground that's not attached or growing. It sucked a loose-fitting cap off one of my termite bait stations right off the top of the station. And I found zero evidence of it anywhere. It just engulfed that plastic cover and left no trace. The bag looks like the Michelin man, trying to separate from its frame, because of the air pressure generated by the high-lift blade. It's a great bagger.

When bagging, it leaves no clipping trail. AT ALL. That grass is in the bag. But when mulching thick/dense grass, it definitely does toss clippings up just behind the left front wheel. You can see this as you mow. I'm not sure how or why, but it's most certainly related to deck design. There must be something with the airflow at that part of the deck. I'll have to see if I can figure out what it is, and post a picture.

My 10330 Lawn-Boy is the best mulcher I've used. Lawn-Boys have long been known for their mulching performance. It has a perfectly round deck underneath, and the mulching fan helps too I'm sure. Most mower decks only approximate a circle, but often have voids here or there for bagging tunnels, etc. The Lawn-Boy deck is perfectly round underneath. And there's a mulch fan that attaches with the cutting blade. It's a four-blade "fan" that is supposed to keep clippings suspended for a better mulch. Whatever it does, it works.

I also have the bagging kit for it, with the chute you attach to the deck where the mulch plate normally sits. Like my Honda is not a good mulcher, my Lawn-Boy is not a good bagger. Both decks were clearly designed for certain purposes, and though they can be made to work as multi-use tools, they're optimal at one type of mowing.

Is the 10330 Lawn Boy any relation to a Toro design or is it from before Toro acquired them?

We were discussing the Snapper Ninja with disk drive in the other thread, and since you bag maybe the Snapper Hi-vac would be the mower for you if you wanted a new mower. It's $700 I think but it's a commercial mower, Snapper commercial Hi-vac is said by many to be the best bagger, and it comes with a Honda GX commercial engine. $900 but that's actually not bad for a true commercial mower though.

The commercial Ninja mulcher is only $700 with a Brigg Ohv engine. That would be the one I'd be interested in.

Last edited:
Toro didn't change the fundamental design of the staggered-wheel deck. So the functionality itself is pretty close to the pre-Toro days. They did standardize on things like handles and bails and operator controls, so even the staggered-wheel Lawn-Boys from the mid-90s and forward had cheaper controls and a cheaper feel compared with before...especially the Silver models. A mag alloy deck Gold model was still a very solid mower (and wasn't available with a 4-stroke as I recall).

I've heard you should change direction or pattern when mowing, for the sake of the lawn. However, I've been mowing (mulching) in the same pattern for 13 years and i don't think my lawn has noticed.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've heard you should change direction or pattern when mowing, for the sake of the lawn. However, I've been mowing (mulching) in the same pattern for 13 years and i don't think my lawn has noticed.

Leaf blades follow the sun such as Bermuda. If you mow on a consistant time table say 8am where we know what direction the sun is you tend to have a balance leaf cut. The key with the different angle cut is what time are you cutting where is the sun, 8am sun is not the same 1pm sun.

The reason for the different angle cuts is for the grass to grow more uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back