PP & QSUD - The same Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by this test:

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

It seems that QSUD and PP are pretty much the same oil. One could make the case that PP is slightly higher in TBN and NOACK, but this can be simply due to variability and/or error. And PP has a slightly more Magnesium. However, given that we're looking at ~5ppm, this cannot possibly be noticeable.

QSUD is a lot cheaper than PP. If these are pretty much the same oils, why bother ever buying PP.

No they are different. a few % points more additives in PP. But I run QSUD because of the price point.
thumbsup2.gif

They are pretty close, very close. So close one could go by price, availability, or brand preference. I'm using PP in one of the vehicles right now.

QSUD does look close to PP from the table in the PQIA link. PP has a slightly higher initial TBN. Everything else, like viscosities and the additives look surprisingly similar. Could it be they are the same oil actually, and the difference in TBN is due to errors in measurements or variability in the product from sample to sample? The worst case scenario is that they're the same oil up to the differences in the detergents used.

QSUD seems like a fine synthetic motor oil on a budget, specially for people who won't push their OCI very long, even with top line synthetic in their engine. Very nice sleeper oil.

Last edited:
Does the PQIA have a chart like this with HM Synthetic oil? I like to see how Maxlife silver bottle stand with other HM oils.

Given how close they are, I'll take either when they're on sale. QSUD seems not to be as well-known as PP, so it's often cheaper. I'll take it since QSUD 5w-30 meets dexos1, which is nice for my 1.4T-powered Cruze.

Metals read the same +/-, who knows about the non metallic adds like salicates and fatty esters and base blend and such. I run it, works well for me.

If I could find it in 0w20, I'd run the PU for the extra ~5 bucks a jug - probably the only real synthetic on the chart.

Ive come to realize that the NOACK isnt as revealing as id like it to be. A 10% boil off may just be the DP solvent and then the attrition may slow or halt. I'd prefer to see the % loss charted over 2 hours - that may tell you something more about the base stock volatility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they are not the same they are close just like a number of the other ones shop price

If they are that close they are the same. Is the intent to be different in some way? I don't think so.
You can get more variation of the same oil from batch to batch.
For example M1 SN AFE 0W-20 made in the States (HTHSV 2.7cP)is quite a bit different that M1 SN AFE 0W-20 made in Canada (HTHSV 2.6cP) but Mobil will tell you they are formulated the same is simply normal variaton.

They are no more the same oil than QSAD and PYB are the same oil. As in, they are not at all.

They are similiar oils made by the same parent company (SOPUS)for the same market. FWIW, my Outback consumed PP but not QSUD, so QSUD is my synthetic oil of choice.

My Tundra calls for 0w20 I find QSUD in 5qt jugs and put it in my truck every oil change and have had zero issues. I don't know whats better but with my 5000 mile oci I don't thin PP or QSUD would make a difference.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
My Tundra calls for 0w20 I find QSUD in 5qt jugs and put it in my truck every oil change and have had zero issues. I don't know whats better but with my 5000 mile oci I don't thin PP or QSUD would make a difference.

A voice of reason...

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Run a uoa on both oils. That will tell you if they are the same.

The VOA won't tell you but UOA will??

At one time, QS synthetics and PP used different add pack suppliers.
That may no longer be the case.
The PQIA results make these oils appear functionally identical, with the differences between them maybe only normal variation from batch to batch, so they may actually be the same oils with different labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back